t h i r t e e n

A little closer to heaven

The moment we sat down, I knew something was off.

"Um...hi?" I started as I sat down, coughing at the sudden awkward atmosphere. "Dad... you never told me we had a dinner reservation with the Kims..."

My father laughed as he lifted the bottom of the wine glass with two fingers, as if he's been doing it all his life. "Couldn't say no to free food." 

I pressed my lips into a firm line as I stared at Cheska sitting across me. She had an unusual smirk on her face albeit being  in the same room as her ex-boyfriend and his father.

My eyes flitted next to her and I noticed my brother's grim expression as he sat silently in between my father and Cheska.

"How... nice of you two to join us." she said; the amusement evident in her voice.

"What are we doing here?" Kai sighed, finally having enough of the tension in the air between both pairs of siblings.

"Nothing, just talking. For old times' sake." Kai rolled his eyes at his father and leaned back into his chair.

"We never talk for 'old times' sake'." he cleared out and his father gave him a pointed look.

"We heard you kids did well for the recent pair project, good job." Mrs Kim smiled, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

"Thank you." we both mumbled. 

"Oh their chemistry was no joke." Cheska smiled sickeningly as she acted as if she saw our performance.

"And how would you know?" Minwoo countered.

Oh no, there it was. Those five words that were enough to send Cheska into a sudden angered frenzy.

"Because Minwoo, I know my brother well enough to know that he likes your sister." she spat in distaste. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion and I took a secret glance at Kai to see his reaction.

His eyes were wide, obviously in shock and his hands were tightly clenched into fists. His face grew red as he watched his sister continued to spill, what I assumed, false accusations of him. Kai heaved a long ragged breath and stood up all too suddenly.

"Cheska, get out, we need to talk."

"Kai, you call your sister respectfully. And sit down! The main course hasn't even been served yet!" Mr Kim chided as he glared at his son.

"No," Kai said firmly, his gaze set on the floor and his hands curled up into fists. "I've lost my apetite."

"Can't lose what you never had." Cheska laughed cynically.

"Cheska," Mrs Kim warned as she rubbed her temples. Kai grabbed my wrist and bowed.

"We're sorry to have interrupted the peaceful dinner you were about to have. Mr Song, I'll take Minji home if you don't mind." My dad was surprisingly calm about the whole situation.

"No, no. Go ahead." he shook his head and gestured for us to go." I gazed at my father suspiciously, then at my brother who had his jaw set and his eyes glaring at Kai's hand around my wrist. Before my brother's protective instincts were unleashed, Kai had already dragged me away towards the back door.

"What was-" I was cut short when Kai suddenly pounded his fist into the nearby wall, trapping me between his arms. I winced as I felt the rough texture of the wall scrape against my back.

"Kai! Are you crazy you're going to hurt yourself."

"DON'T-" he shouted at me. I flinched as he met my gaze. He faltered when he saw the fear in my eyes.

"Don't say things like that...." his eyes softened as he ducked his head towards the ground. "It only makes things more confusing."

"Me caring about you makes things confusing?" I blurted and blushed at my own words when he looked up and
met my eyes. "K-kai, I didn't-"

"Yes." he scoffed. I froze. 

Was he.... saying what I think he's saying...? My mind went blank as I waited for a laugh, a sign, whatever, to know; just wanting to know, that he was joking.

A mere shake of his head; and I released the breath I didn't even know I was holding.

"I'm sorry, I'm being stupid," he said with a taut smile.

"Are you....okay...?" 

"Yeah... I'll take you home now."

**

Luhan's POV

I rushed out of class frantically, searching for the girl who had suddenly disappeared from my sight.

"Lee Ah!" I shouted the moment I saw a familiar figure step out of the vocal room.

"Luhan..."

"You had me worried, I thought you left." I smiled sheepishly as I rubbed the back of my neck.

"Sorry... I left my music score in here, I just came to get it back." she explained as she pushed a strand of flyaway hair behind her ear.

Lee Ah was an absolute beauty. I couldn't believe how captivated I was by her pure existence.

She was a goddess on the inside and out. It was inevitable that my infatuation with her soon got out of control. When she wasn't by my side, I felt lost; she was the light guiding me. That was how important Lee Ah was in my life, even if she didn't know it.

"Ah, okay. Are you ready to go?" I smiled expectantly. She hesitated before looking around. 

"Okay, let's go." she spoke as she clasped her hand around my wrist and pulled me towards the main entrance.

"What's the hurry, Lee?"

"Um... nothing I just... I have a curfew today so," she mumbled as she stared at the ground.

"Hey..." my voice dropped as I noticed her strange behaviour.
"What's wrong?"

"N-nothing...Hey do you know where Kai and Minji are?"

"Nope, Kai said he was gonna bring Minji home. Why?" 

I watched her heave a puff of air before nodding.

"Lee Ah," I sighed as I folded my arms.

"W-what?" she asked as she took my hand and pulled me along quickly towards the main entrance.

"Tell me."

"I.." she started but stopped and let go of my hand as soon as we stepped outside. "I can't. Not yet."

"But-"

"Let's go." She started walking ahead of me when familiar voices were heard behind us. 

"Hey, Lee Ah! Wait up!" I called out as I broke out into a jog to catch up with her.

**

"So how's your leg?" I asked as I sipped my vanilla blended bubble tea.

We were at a cafè downtown for dessert after a light dinner-lunch.

"It's alright, I guess. It's just a little scratch it'll be fine soon enough."

I sighed and pulled her palm towards me, looking at the scratches from today.  

"Yeah right." I frowned as she pulled her hand away. The bell at the door chimed and both Lee Ah and I turned at the same time. At that moment I caught sight of a childhood friend, waving the moment we met eyes. 

"Irene!" 

"Luhan oppa!" she smiled as she hopped over to greet me. "Long time, eh?" 

"Yeah! Really long! You're so tall and pretty now, Joohyun ah." I grinned. My eyes flickered over to Lee Ah, her gaze gently fixated on the petite girl standing in front of us. "Oh Lee Ah, this is my childhood friend, Irene. Irene this is my friend, Lee Ah."

Irene offered a hand good-naturedly as a smile graced her tiny face.

"Lee Ah unnie. Nice to meet you! I'm Bae Joohyun, but you can call me Irene." 

"Pretty nickname." Lee Ah smiled as she shook the younger's hand.

"Thanks! I study overseas, it's easier to call me Irene over there. I just came back for term break. My God, oppa, I wasn't expecting you here!" 

"Niether was I." I laughed.

"Well, I wouldn't want to impose on your little date. We'll catch up soon, oppa. Nice to meet you, unnie." she waved before disappearing into the sea of queing people. 

"She's so pretty. I want a pretty face like that."

"You can't want something you already have." I chuckled, as I watched Lee Ah look away in embarrassment. She was so adorable. 

Something stirred in my gut. It made me feel sick but warm at the same time. My whole gut was buzzing. It felt like.... 


Butterflies...