An afternoon full of laughter

It All Started with Kai Bai Bo!

They headed to Sakata, one of Tokyo’s most classic noodle spots.

“Sanuki Udon here is divine!” she boasts. “Would you like to try?” she asks him.

“Uhm, sure, if it comes with that high of a recommendation, then it must be really good”, he agrees.

“Daebak!” she exclaimed. They ordered, and when their orders came, she turns to him, “So, how was it?”

“Deserving of its high recommendation, this one’s good”, he said before eating up another mouthful. She giggles.

“What Japanese food would you want to try the most?” she asked when she’s about to finish her bowl.

“That would be takoyaki”, he says happily. He’s been intrigued about the authentic Japanese takoyaki since it’s a famous delicacy.

“Okay, let’s finish these quick and run to a takoyaki stall, I also want you to taste yakitori.”

Food surely is one of the things that tops his list of favorite things in the world, and though he hasn’t have any idea what a yakitori is, the way she said it makes it sound so good, he can’t wait. He smiles at her.

__________

Their stomachs and curiosity full, they pedaled again to the venue of the cosplay convention.

Nearing the venue, they can already see people in different costumes, portraying different characters of different manga, anime, and even online games. He’s smiling like an idiot; though he’s aware of it, he let himself be—this is the foremost reason why he wanted to go to Japan, and now, everything is realized.

Again, they secured their bicycles outside of the building before proceeding inside, following the mob of Otaku or cosplay enthusiasts dressed in different colors, shapes, and persona. Most of them came in a group; some came alone but would definitely meet and join their respective groups once inside the hall.

They come in different costumes and appearance. Some wear face paints, some with unnaturally colored and uniquely styled hair. Some even wear wigs to best achieve the look they are trying to portray. Some wear extravagant outfits while some have simple outfits. From the hair, to the clothes, down to the accessories and jewelries, to the prop weapons of each character, you can see that they really put enough effort in each—extravagant or simple.

Minsoo is overwhelmed, he hadn’t anticipated that just by standing in the same place as these cosplayers would actually make him happy and grin from ear to ear. Hyun Hae is watching him and is pleased that he is enjoying it—she can tell by the look of his face.

“Yah, drinking this too much, huh?” she teases.

He nods, “This is so great, Noona”, he is beaming; and an infectious one at that, Hyun Hae found herself smiling silly as they wander around the hall.

Little stalls and shops are everywhere, they sell a wide range of merchandise, all cosplay related. There’s contact lenses that should give you the same pupils as a certain character, temporary tattoos, packaged outfits, wigs, jewelries and accessories, and of course, the prop weapons. There are also souvenir shops that sell cute stuffs such as plushies of different Pokemon characters, bags, shirts, and other anime-inspired apparel. They roam around, enjoying the festive aura that hangs in the air.

“Oh, look, the Mugiwara”, Hyun Hae points at the group of teenagers, boldly imitating the Straw Hat crew in the popular anime, One Piece. “You wanna have a picture taken with them?” she nudges him.

He follows the direction of her finger with his gaze and his smile widen even more upon the sight of his favorite anime characters from his favorite anime. There’s Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Robin, Franky, Brook, and Chopper—all nine of them! He’s beaming like a little boy, he smiles at her. “But we don’t have a camera.”

“Who says?” she said, fishing out the side pocket of her shorts, she took a mini digicam out to his surprise.

“Where have you been hiding that? I sure didn’t notice that earlier”, he’s bewildered though smiling a pleased one.

“You never know what’s inside Doraemon’s pocket”, she boasts. “So, shall we?” she gestures for them to approach the infamous group.

“Of course!”

 

They took photos with many other cosplayers, some they really admire that they would actually take turns on taking their photographs with, while there are which that just amuses them (in a funny way) that they decided to take pictures with for the laugh of it.

Though there are many individuals and groups that rocked it, one cosplayer stood out among everybody else—the one that imitates Kuchiki Byakuya from the anime, Bleach. The clothes are exact, even the hairstyle, and of course, the Zanpaktu (spiritual sword). But none of those amazes them more than the fact that the one posing as him is a girl; a very pretty one. Her face is immaculate and small that mirrors Byakuya’s well. No wonder she won first place during the mini competition held in the mini stage rooted at the other end of the wide hall.

They take turns taking pictures with her, rather, him since she’s dressed as a guy.

Theme songs of different anime play on the background of the busy and lively crowd. Some of it, Minsoo is familiar with whereas most of it, Hyun Hae would sing along with if they aren’t occupied by their fit of laughter to every funny looking individuals who they couldn’t fathom which character they are posing as.

Though she is the keenest about the dripping washable hair colors on the nape of the then sweaty Otaku, nudging him by the elbow and subtly points them to him with her head, or sometimes, bluntly with her index finger, he is thrown in fits of laughter at the details she observes; be it vague or the littlest.

The sun is almost setting. They aren’t aware of the time they have stayed inside the hall with all those colors and clothing, and make ups. Hyun Hae then decided they should buy something as a remembrance from the event.

“What would you like?” she asks him. “Would you like Zoro’s katana?” she’s teasing him.

He caught the naughty gleam in her eyes, but instead of turning away from it, he indulges more, teasing her in return. “Nah! They only have one here, I want all three”, he try to look and sound dead serious about it as he watched her reaction.

She has this you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me look on her face that made him burst into the laughter he has kept for a little while. “You should’ve seen your face! No, but seriously, I want the Going Merry (the pirate ship)”, his eyes are gleaming.

“Yeah right, fit that into the plane back to Seoul”, she said curtly. “Seriously, what do you want? I’ll be taking this”, she moved to get the identical hat of the pirate doctor, Chopper has and put it on her head.

“Kawaii!” he couldn’t help but exclaim. “That’s cute, I think I’m getting one too”, he said as he moved to take another for him. “This’ll be very good during winter nights”, he said as he fit it on his head, facing her.

“I couldn’t ever imagine you would actually think about wearing that, much less buying one”, she’s looking at him in disbelief.

“Well, I would normally not buy this but because you are buying one, I thought of having the same as yours, you know, memorabilia that we went here together”, he shrugs his shoulders.

Hyun Hae blushed a little pink, but succeeded on hiding it by facing the mirror instead.

After paying for the hats, they walked out to the direction of their bikes.

“Noona, since we’re both wearing these”, pertaining to the identical hats they bought, “should we take a picture together?” he’s a little shy at asking her this but he wants to have this day documented—the day he went out with her.

“Sure”, she says though a little nervous by the proposition, she greatly masks it with a steady smile. She held her digicam up, angling it so that she can capture both of them in the frame, she chants, “Say kimchii!” He copied her and she snaps the photo.

Looking at the preview of their photo, she exclaims, “Woah, I looked tired, not good at all. Again!” she said and hands the camera to Minsoo, silently saying that he took the photo this time. He took it from her and again, they pose for another shot, and another, and another, until both of them are laughing due to the derpy and dorky faces they make.

A good ten minutes of making faces has passed when she exhaustedly blurted out, “That’s enough, I’m hungry, let’s head back home.” That said, they mounted their bikes again and pedaled back home.

______

During dinner, Hyun Hae animatedly tells the story of how their day has dragged, from the different types of worms, to the different faces in the cosplay convention. All of them, especially Minsoo, found her an amusing storyteller as she would utilize her hands and eyes, and change her voice, just to tell her tale. The dining table hasn’t been more alive before this night.

______

When Hyun Hae is about to retire into the comforts of her bedroom, Minsoo called for her attention. “Noona, thank you for today, I enjoyed it so much, and I greatly appreciate it you accompanying me”, he said sincerely.

“You’re welcome, I enjoyed today, too”, she smiles. “Sleep now, we have just covered the first day, two more to go.”

“Yeah, I know, I’m just really thankful.”

“Sleep now, recharge your energy for tomorrow”, she said and turns to leave.

“Goodnight, Noona, sleep tight”, he calls softly.

Not turning to look at him, she gestures a back wave. “Sweet dreams!” and she enters her room.

As soon as he heard the click of her door closing, he walked to the direction of his room. “I’m sure to have the sweetest dreams tonight, see you tomorrow!” he grins.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

i haven't been to any cosplay convention though i've heard stories from my friends who did.

how about you? how do you like cosplayers?