Birthday celebration

It All Started with Kai Bai Bo!

When he opened the door to his room, the noise from the living room and from the entire house heightened. He walked to find the family but he didn’t expect to see lots of unfamiliar faces that swarm all over. Still looking for Hyun Hae, or Takada, or Haruhi, he kept walking and turning his gaze to every side when someone patted him on the back.

 

It was Hyun Hae, but different from the Hyun Hae that he saw in his nightmare, this one is smiling up at him. The braid he did on his hair is gone now, she obviously took a shower already, she lets her hair loose on her back. “You just came out?” she asked.

“Yeah”, he answered.

“So, did you finish the book?”

“Nope. Fell asleep”, he said smiling. The nightmare all gone from his head now that he can see her all fine.

“Tsk, sleepyhead”, she shakes her head playfully.

 

“Everybody!”, Haruhi called the attention of everyone inside the house. “It’s time for us to sing a happy birthday to the birthday celebrant, my loving mother”, she cheers and everybody else claps before singing.

 

Otanjyoubi omedoto

otanjyoubi omedeto

otanjyoubi omedeto Takada-san

tanjyoubi omedeto!  

 

Hyun Hae was quick to get the cake with lighted candles and bring it in front of her Sobo to blow. “Make a wish first”, she said happily to the old woman. Takada then closed her eyes for a bit, before opening them shortly after and blow the candles. People chants, cheers and claps, the party started.

 

Minsoo later learned that the people inside the house are not their relatives when he asked, but merely neighbors who has been friends with the family. Takada apparently is a loved member of the neighborhood, since she’s a very sweet and gentle woman.

 

The booze started coming but the younger ones are shunned from taking some, which is all okay for Hyun Hae since she doesn’t really drink alcohol. But that’s not the case for his uncle and cousins, who are being drunk more and more as the night deepens. Her uncle Manabu started telling stories—hilarious ones that made everyone laugh their lungs out.

 

For the benefit of Minsoo who couldn’t understand Nihonggo, Hyun Hae translates them all for him. Though through the loud noise of every mouth talking and laughing, she has to lean closer to his ear for him to hear her. Minsoo is a little flushed at their closeness but Hyun Hae didn’t seem to notice, or mind at all.

 

They laughed in chorus after Hyun Hae translated what has Manabu just said. He explains his most embarrassing moment back when he was in High School, when he was still trying to get the attention of Tomoko. He’s dancing in front of her, feeling all good with himself, when he suddenly slipped which made his pants to rip. He said he was so embarrassed that the girl he’s trying to impress has to see him that way.

 

The main story isn’t that all funny, but what made it all too funny for his audiences is that Manabu has been telling that story for the fifth time now, and he doesn’t seem to notice it. He still looked embarrassed and ashamed, and he still wears the face of regret. That’s what’s making them laugh even harder than the first time he tells it—the expression of his face. 

 

People started taking their leave one after the other as the night grew deeper. When finally it was only the family that’s left, everybody else started singing a happy birthday song yet again. Hyun Hae might have thought that it’s for her Sobo but the singing is in Hangeul which made her a little confused.

 

A cake was brought out, it isn’t the cake that she and Minsoo have bought, but it’s a homemade one, she can recognize it as something that her mom and grandmom baked—it’s for her!

 

Saengilchuka hamnida, Saengilchuka hamnida, Saranghaneun, Hyun Hae-ssi, Saengilchuka hamnida! They sang, even Minsoo joined in.

 

“Make a wish first, honey, we didn’t get to celebrate your birthday together that’s why we thought of having it now”, Haruhi smiled at her. She smiled back before closing her eyes, leaning down on the cake, then blowing the candles.

 

Everybody clapped. She smiled and hugged each one of them. “Arigatou, Okasa, this is great!”, she said. Her mom kissed her forehead in return. Then she hugged her grandma, then her aunt, uncle, then his cousins. They being an adult, and scratched the top of her head which tangles her hair slightly. She hit her niichan’s arm off playfully. Then there’s Minsoo. He’s smiling down at her but a bit nervous in anticipation if she would hug him too. He wanted her to.

 

When Hyun Hae was done thanking her family, there’s only one left. She then moved next to Minsoo, smiled up at him before saying: “thanks!” before lightly hugging him under his arms. He was taken aback but happy about it. She shortly pulled from the hug, and smiled again before facing her cake, waiting to be eaten. He smiled.

 

It was past midnight and everybody else has retreated to their respectful houses and beds, except for Hyun Hae who decided to stay and clean up, and for Minsoo who volunteered to help. They finished all of the cleaning at almost two in the morning; they are both exhausted and sleepy.

 

“I didn’t imagine it would take that long to clean up”, Hyun Hae says resting her back on the sofa after taking the trash bag out. “Good thing you stayed to help, I don’t wanna imagine the time I would’ve finished if I were alone”, she said, trying to even her breathing. “Thank you!”

“You’re all welcome, I didn’t imagine cleaning after a party would be enjoyable, though”, he said smiling.

“Oh, so you enjoyed it? I should tell Okasa that you enjoy cleaning, you know, she might really be happy having someone to help her that actually enjoys cleaning up”, she laughs.

He laughs along at her witty comment.

“Okay now, I’ll be off to sleep”, she said as she stood up and walked to the direction of her room when Minsoo called out.

 

“Noona!”, he sang softly.

“Hmm?”, she turned to look at him.

“Happy birthday”, he said shyly.

She smiled. “Thank you. Now go, sleep”, she said before receding to her bedroom.

 

Still smiling, Minsoo puts both of his hands on either side of his waist to breathe in deeply, before going to his room to retire for the night.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

i love hugs! do you, too? :)