The Lesson That Starts it All

The Virtuoso

 

                We drove into a neighborhood that could be considered “high class.” The houses weren’t mansions, but they were definitely fancier and much more expensive compared to the crappy apartment I lived in with my mom and sister. My dad looked really excited to be in such a fancy neighborhood, probably because he knew he was going to be paid well. I figured this kid was just a spoiled, untalented little brat that wanted to be good at something. I did not want to meet him, that’s for sure.

                After a few turns, my dad parked in front of a large house with lightly colored bricks. The lawn was perfect, as were the flowers and patio. I never thought something so perfect would make me want to gag. I snapped out of it after hearing my dad speak.

“Hey, you coming inside? I’m sure they won’t mind. The Korean culture is very polite and welcoming, according to my research.”

                I rolled my eyes and laid my head against the seat.

“No. I’ll stay in the car.”

He shrugged and replied, “Well, it might be longer than an hour, considering this is my first visit. Are you sure?”

“I don’t care. Just go get it over with.”

                I’ve always been cold towards my dad. He seemed to get used to it as time went on. He sighed, opened the car door and got out. I took off my seatbelt and reclined the seat. I didn’t look at him as he walked off.

                After a little while, I realized how boring AND how hot it was just sitting here. I cursed myself under my breath because I just happened to leave my phone at home today. There was literally nothing to do. I sighed and brought down the sun visor thing that has a mirror on it. I stared at myself, and my blue eyes looked back blankly at me. I never realized how exhausted I always looked. No wonder boys were scared to approach me. I look like a zombie.

                The minutes passed so slowly I gave up looking at the clock. I put my head back against the seat, closed my eyes, but not for long. I realized something terrible. I had to pee. Really. ing. Bad. I was embarrassed at how badly I had to go. Of course it had to be NOW. I could not possibly wait for my dad to get back. But there’s no way I would knock on that kid’s door and say, “Hey! That’s my dad in there. Can I take a piss?” Waiting sounded excruciating, but there was no way I was putting myself in that situation.

                The minutes passed even slower. I crossed my legs at shook them up in down. Dammit. I couldn’t do it. I stared at the car door for what felt like millenniums until I was brave enough to open it. It was even worse standing up. I jogged up the path leading to the patio, and stood in front of the door.

I continued to stand there, bouncing up and down. That’s when I heard glorious music coming from the other side of the door. I smirked, figuring it was my dad. I shook that from my head, remembering what I was hear to do.

Ican’tdothisIcan’tdothisIcan’tdothis.

But I had too. I hovered my finger over the doorbell, squeezed my eyes shut, and pushed the button.

Ring… Ding… Dong…

I was shaking. I couldn’t tell if it was from my nearly exploding bladder, or how ing scared and embarrassed I was. The music from behind the door stopped abruptly, and I heard feet moving casually towards the door.

.

The door was being unlocked. My heart was pounding and I could already feel the blush rising to my face. This was going to be so humiliating.

The door opened. What stood there was the most beautiful boy I’d ever seen in my life.