Singing (Taemin's POV of Chapter 5)

The Virtuoso

 

                I turned away from the bathroom door and walked back down the hallway. Things I never felt before raced through my head at the speed of light. Ellie was… Something. I didn’t know what to feel. I tried to get other things on my mind, but she kept coming back.

Did I… “Like” her?

                I swallowed the weird lump in my throat and shook my head. I never liked a girl before. Back in Korea, I avoided most girls as much as I could and concentrated on music. None of them really stood out, I guess, unlike Ellie. A few times girls had confessed to me (and some boys to be completely honest), but I rejected them as kindly as possible. Whenever I told Kibum afterwards, he would get upset and say I should try to date. I just… Didn’t want to. All I wanted was music. I know he cares a lot for me and the decisions I make, but I feel like he doesn’t understand. He’s into boys, after all, and I’m not.

                I passed through the kitchen and saw Amber making her way in. I greeted her and then quickly returned to my lesson. My teacher looked like he was thinking deeply.

“Ah—I’m back.”

“Oh good. Why don’t you finish that song you were playing before?”

“Sure! I’ll try my best.”

                He nodded and stepped back. I sat at the bench and closed my eyes again. I concentrated on the things I was thinking about before so I could make the song fit together. I couldn’t think about Ellie right now. My fingers found their place on the keys and began to move with my thoughts. I completed the song with ease. I wanted to start sing at some point, but I decided I should discuss that with my teacher first. I opened my eyes and looked up at him. He seemed dazed.

“Taemin… That was… incredible. So tell me..”

                He was interrupted by footsteps entering the room. I looked over to see Ellie standing nervously with Amber. I guess they met when Ellie passed through the kitchen. My teacher spoke.

“Ellie? Why are you in here? I thought you were in the car…”

Aish. I forgot to tell him Ellie came in. I cursed mentally.

“I had to use the bathroom. When the doorbell rang, that was me.”

She looked agitated. And I thought it was… Cute. What’s wrong with me?!

My teacher chuckled. “Oh. Well we’ll be done in maybe another half hour. Taemin is very talented.”

I kept staring at Ellie until I realized my teacher complimented me. I smiled and looked at the ground. No one had complimented me before. It was a really nice feeling. I looked back up.

 

“So you met Amber, I see.”

I cursed myself over and over in my head. I sounded rude again. Not only that, I shouldn’t have spoken in the first place. The things this girl was making me do…

“Yup! I didn’t know there was anybody else here, so she took me off guard.”

She and Amber looked at each other and laughed. Why was she so cute? I was glad they were getting along. I hoped they would become better friends so I could see Ellie more often. It was selfish of me, but I really wanted to see her. I decided I should formally introduce everyone in our household.

“Ah—I’m sorry. I forgot to introduce you to Amber and Kibum. Kibum isn’t here right now, but I’m glad you met Amber. I hope you’ll be friends.”

They looked at each other and Amber spoke.

“I think we’re already friends.”

                I smiled. Ellie looked really happy that Amber said that. Had she never had friends before? It made my heart hurt for her. Thinking of that made me want to get even closer to her.

“Hey, Ellie. Let’s sit down and shut up so we stop interrupting Taemin’s lesson.”

Amber made a good point. I should probably continue practicing.

                I looked away from the girls and adjusted myself on the bench. I remembered my teacher and I were having a conversation before, so I looked up at him again. He spoke

“Taemin, those songs you were playing before, did you compose them yourself?”

I blushed and looked away. Did he want me to play actual composed songs? Was he disappointed?

“Well, actually, I just came up with them now. My feelings just… Turn into notes in my mind.”

He looked taken aback.

“Wow. That’s truly amazing. I honestly don’t know if there’s anything more I can teach you.”

                I let out an exhale I had been holding in for too long. He thought I was good. I felt amazing. This day really couldn’t get any better. However, I still really wanted to sing. I hoped he wouldn’t mind.

“Thank you very much. Could I try singing, too? I really want to improve everything.”

“Absolutely. Let me hear something.”

                I was excited. In a way, now that Ellie was watching, I wanted to sing a song… For her. My palms got sweaty. Why was I nervous? After a few quick thoughts ran through my mind, I decided to sing my own version of “Replay” by the Korean idol group, “SHINee.” Amber would be the only one able to understand the words, but this song really summed up my feelings. The only thing was Ellie wasn’t my noona. Or… Was she? I didn’t think so. Hopefully I would learn more about her soon.

“Um… I really hope you don’t mind, sir, but I can only sing some songs in Korean. Is that all right?”

“Of course. The language doesn’t matter—only how your voice sounds.”

                I was really excited to sing. I wanted to be as good at everything as possible. Still, I was nervous. I gulped and put my hands in position. I started playing “Replay.” I decided to slow down the song and change some parts to match the sound of the piano. After playing the first notes, it was time for me to sing. I closed my eyes and let out the first words. I sang with all my heart and mind. I wanted to sing to the best of my ability. I wanted to sing for… For Ellie. And I did.

 When I got to the chorus for a second time, I realized something. I didn’t think it was possible to love someone you barely knew, but it was happening.  

I think I love Ellie.

~~~

Phew. I've been writing and editing pictures for the past two hours. I like writing in Taemin's POV, but I don't know if there will be any for a few chapters. I don't know, maybe. ;) Thanks for reading~ Saranghaeyo!