The End of the Beginning

The Virtuoso

 

Taemin’s POV:

                My eyes flew open the minute I finished the song.

Love her? WHAT!?

                Clearly, I wasn’t thinking straight. Love at first sight isn’t real, and if for some reason it is, it would not happen to me, of all people. I really wanted to get to know Ellie, and be with her, but there was no way I was in love. The music just made me think of silly things. I erased the whole thing from my mind to avoid further embarrassment. I was not acting like myself.

Ellie’s POV:

                Taemin stopped playing and opened his eyes. He appeared to be in a daze. I just smiled. He was truly incredible. I sniffed.

.

                I could feel Amber look over at me.

“Uh, are you crying?”

.

“Oh, nono, I just uh, think I’m getting a cold.” I let out a somewhat believable cough to prove my point. She seemed to fall for it. I quickly wiped away any tears waiting to fall. Hopefully no one noticed.

                My dad’s eyes showed how amazed he was.

“Taemin, I had no idea how well you would be able to sing. Sure, there are a few things that you could fix up a bit, but overall, I don’t think there’s much improvement that can be done here. You’re very lucky to have so much talent from only teaching things to yourself. Are there any other talents you’re hiding?”

Taemin looked down and smiled.

“Well… Actually… I love to dance, too.”

We all laughed. Of course he could dance. Was there anything he couldn’t do? He was so adorable.

                My dad and Taemin started talking again, so Amber and I were just sitting there awkwardly. She decided to break the silence.

“Well, even though I don’t really know you, I think you’re pretty cool. We should hang out sometime.”

I was flattered. I really want to become better friends with Amber. I want to get to know Taemin too, but I think that will just take more time.”

“Yeah! That would be awesome. Do you have a phone, by any chance? I don’t have my phone on me right now, but I could give you my number.”

It was always asking for phone numbers, but I managed to do it anyway. Amber pulled an iPhone out of her pocket and set up a contact space for me. I put in my number and handed it back.

“Text me sometime!”

Amber smiled and  nodded. At the same time, Taemin stood up from the bench and started walking towards the front door with my dad. I guess that meant we were leaving. Amber stood up as well and we continued to the front door. My dad was in mid sentence as we walked up.

“—so next Friday at the same time? That sounds great! I’ll see you then. Goodbye, Taemin.”

He stepped outside and I guess he expected me to follow. I turned towards Amber and Taemin.

“Well, it was, uhm, nice to meet you! Bye Amber! Bye Taemin!”

                Amber smiled and waved, and Taemin bowed while showing another heart-melting smile. I blushed. Seeing him bow was the cutest thing he could have done. I smiled and followed after my dad. Halfway down the sidewalk I turned back and waved. They both waved back. I let out a little laugh. I couldn’t wait to get to know them better.

Taemin’s POV:

Amber stopped waving after a few seconds and then slammed the door shut. She put her hands on her hips and spun around. She had the silliest smile on her face. I started laughing.

“BABO! Why do you have that dumb smile on your face?”

She stayed like that and wiggled her eyebrows up and down. I laughed even harder.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!”

Amber finally sighed and put a normal smile on her face.

“Mr. Taemin… You like Ellie, don’t you?”

I immediately stopped laughing.

“What… What are you talking about?”

Amber laughed and continued.

“Oh please, you’re not very good at hiding it. I don’t think you’ve smiled even once since we came to America. You started smiling the moment Ellie stepped in the house. I saw how you looked at her.”

                I started panicking. I was a little irritated, but I knew she was right. I definitely did like Ellie. How was I going to admit that she was right? She would never let me forget it. I shifted my feet and exhaled.

“Fine, fine. You caught me. Say a word to anyone and you’ll regret it.”

Amber smirked and took out her phone.

“This is great! Looks like I’m going to have to play the matchmaker here. By the way… I have something you don’t have…”

She scrolled through her phone and then stuck it in my face. My eyes adjusted and saw Ellie’s name and phone number. I widened my eyes.

“YOU’RE GOING TO BRAG ABOUT HAVING HER PHONE NUMBER?”

Amber laughed evilly and continued.

“Not only that, but I’m not going to give it to you. Once you get her phone number from her all by yourself, I promise to help you out.”

What is this some kind of blackmail? I rolled my eyes.

“Hmph. I don’t need your help.”

Amber gave me the look that said, “You know you need me for this.” I huffed angrily. She always found the perfect ways to irritate me.

“UGH. FINE. But how am I going to get her phone number?”

Amber was already cooking something in her mind, I could tell.

“Don’t worry, I’ve got a plan.”

Just as she said this, Kibum kicked open the front door.