Agitation

The Virtuoso

 

            I walked out of school as fast as I could. FINALLY, it was over—for now, anyway. I stumbled my way out of the stampede of hormonal teenagers and searched for my father’s car. It was nowhere in sight. I wouldn’t be surprised if the bastard forgot to pick me up, AGAIN. I sat on a bench and called him.

One ring.

Two rings.

Three rings.

“—Uh, hello?”

“Dad.”

I heard him mumble “” and continue:

“—Ah, Ellie, I’m sorry. I’m on my way. Today’s been busy.”

I rolled my eyes and hung up the phone. Just what I needed. It was bad enough I didn’t have my own car, and now my only ride has to forget me. Sure I suppose I could ask a friend, but I actually hate all my “friends.” None of them could give two s about me. I took out my IPod and popped in the headphones.

It seemed like hours before my dad pulled in front of the curb. It was even worse to see the thugs that were still hanging around laugh at the sight of me getting a ride from my father. I huffed and nonchalantly walked over to the car and got in.

My dad looked exhausted, but I didn’t care how he was. He probably didn’t care about me either. Forgetting to pick me up every other day proved that. He looked at me, and tried to smile. I looked away. He let out a sigh.

“Look, Ellie. I’m sorry, alright? I’m a musician, and I have to get in every job I can to take care of us.”

By us, he meant my stepmother. He worked so hard just so the could spend all his money.

“Whatever, Dad. I’m used to it. Just take me home.”

            I looked over at him after my statement. He cleared his throat, adjusted his glasses, and started driving. After a little silence, he spoke again. I don’t get why he couldn’t shut the hell up.

“We have a very slight problem…”

            Oh God what now.

“I have a piano and voice lesson with a new student and I have no time to take you home in between. You’re going to have to come with me.”

             no. I’m not doing this.

“I know you don’t want to, but I have no choice. This is probably the most important student I’ll ever have to teach.”

            The anger started to boil in my blood. Everything was more important than me now.

“Fine, Dad. I’m sure this person is much more important. Just go.”

             He obviously didn’t hear my hints of sarcasm because he just kept on talking.

“Great! Well, this student is going to be very important to my career. He’s a transfer student all the way from South Korea looking to improve his musical abilities. It’s flattering that they found me all the way over here in the U.S. His manager said the boy’s name is Taemin Lee, or Lee Taemin, as they say it there. I hope his English is okay because I don’t know any Korean whatsoever…(insert continuous blabbing) ”

             Great. I couldn’t care less.

~

Thanks for reading! So I just moved, and have no internet. >< I'm currently doing this at my library. Updates next week! <3 Saranghae