The Truth is Out

Unexpected Love

A relatively quick update, I suppose. :) Thanks to everyone and anyone who commented! <3 You have my love, hehe. I know you've all been waiting for this chapter after the last chapter's cliffhanger, so here it is, without further ado!

- Jessica


Hyoyeon stared at Eunhyuk silently, her eyes wide. She was completely frozen, and she made no movement. The only sound in the alleyway was the distant chatter of the other boys and Leeteuk on the phone, accompanied with Eunhyuk's slow breathing.

"H-Hyoyeon?" Eunhyuk asked tentatively.

"What did you say, Jonghyun?" Hyoyeon inquired, ignoring Eunhyuk, but her eyes still on him.

Jonghyun gulped loudly, his eyes darting from Hyoyeon to Eunhyuk, and back. "I-I didn't say anything."

"Yes, you did."

The SHINee member hesitated for a few seconds, then finally spoke, pausing between every few words. "Eunhyuk-hyung...likes...you."

"Are you telling the truth?" Hyoyeon questioned, her voice low. She snapped her head to Jonghyun, who instantaneously shrunk back against the wall.

"He's telling the truth." a new voice joined the conversation, one that Hyoyeon recognized immediately, as she knew the voice for years.

She turned her attention back on Eunhyuk, who was looking at her with a look of absolute seriousness and determination. He wasn't kidding around this time, despite the fact that he often joked with her. Eunhyuk was one hundred percent, being honest. Hyoyeon could only stare back, not knowing what to do. Was this a confession? If it was, it was the strangest confession she had ever gotten.

"I don't know when I started feeling like this," Eunhyuk started, taking a step towards Hyoyeon, now only mere inches away from her. "But I've been in love with you."

Hyoyeon felt all the warmth in her body rise straight up to her cheeks. It felt like it was a million degrees, and Eunhyuk was so close to her right then. So it wasn't just liking; it was love. Eunhyuk was in love with her, and she didn't quite know how to respond. Hyoyeon asked herself in her mind quickly if she loved him, but all she got was a blank white page. She didn't know about love, and she certainly wasn't sure about him.

"All the times I've teased you or made fun of you, I was just trying to hide my feelings." Eunhyuk said, taking a step back, so there was at least two feet of space between them. He looked a bit dejected now. "I couldn't hide it any longer, and I just wanted to get it off my chest."

"I got us a taxi!" Leeteuk announced cheerfully, coming over to the trio. He frowned immediately upon seeing Eunhyuk's sullen expression and Hyoyeon's frozen stance. The leader turned to Jonghyun, who quickly shook his head and shrugged.

"Guys, let's go." Leeteuk said in a softer and gentler voice. Donghae arrived on the scene, looking upbeat as usual. His attitude changed in a heartbeat, seeing Eunhyuk. He tugged on his friend's arm wordlessly, taking him to the taxi. Jonghyun stood up, brushed dust off of his jeans and trailed after the pair.

"Hyoyeon-ah, come on," Leeteuk beckoned for her to follow him.

Hyoyeon just nodded and put on a fake smile, her steps turning slow and sluggish as she made her way over to the yellow cab.


The cab stopped directly in front of the idols' hotel, and everyone was confused.

"Hyung, why are we at the hotel?" Yesung asked.

Shindong's stomach grumbled noisily and everyone laughed. "Yeah, I'm starved..."

"You're always hungry, Shindong-hyung." Minho grinned.

"I just need to pick up something really quick." Leeteuk said, hopping out of the passenger seat and heading outside. "Just wait here," he slammed the door, jogging through the doors of the hotel.

In the taxi directly behind the first, Hyoyeon, Eunhyuk, Jonghyun, and Donghae were sitting silently, a bit awkwardly. Jonghyun was in the passenger seat, whistling a random SHINee tune again, and Donghae was smack dab in between Eunhyuk and Hyoyeon.

"So..." Donghae glanced at Eunhyuk, and then at Hyoyeon, his gaze finally resting on Eunhyuk. "How are you guys?"

"Fine," they both responded at the same time, looking at each other, then turning away, in sync.

Donghae turned to Jonghyun for help, but the younger male mouthed, "I'm not getting involved."

So it was up to Donghae.

"Okay, so what happened back there?" Donghae asked, being completely blunt. He figured that beating around the bush would do nothing to figure out a solution to a problem he didn't even know about.

"What do you mean?" Eunhyuk asked in a monotone.

"In the alleyway...between you and Hyo." Donghae nudged Eunhyuk's shoulder with his own, wanting to get some answers. "Tell me."

"No, 'cause there's nothing to tell."

"I figured you'd be difficult." Donghae sighed. "I know you."

"Good, because then you should know that I'm not telling you anything." Eunhyuk muttered.

"Jonghyun, you know!" Donghae persisted, leaning over to the front of the car and smacking Jonghyun on the shoulder. "Tell me, come on!"

"What? No!" Jonghyun cried. "I'm sorry, hyung, but it's their business!"

"You were there!"

"I'm not part of it!"

"I wanna fix this!"

"Ask them!"

"I tried!"

Jonghyun pouted. "Well, I don't know what to tell you."

"Sure you do," Donghae was still being stubborn to the bitter end. "Tell me what happened."

"I'll tell you anything but that."

Donghae slowly smiled, evilly. "Okay...then tell me the truth, does Eunhyuk like Hyoyeon?"

Jonghyun began stuttering nervously. "Hyung, I-I don't r-really--"

"Lee Hyukjae; does he like Kim Hyoyeon?" Donghae reiterated. "I'm not giving up, Jjong-ah, you know that. You said you'd tell me anything."

Eunhyuk shot Jonghyun a warning look; if Jonghyun spoke out, he would get busted by Eunhyuk, and perhaps, he would lose his trust in Jonghyun. On the other hand, if he didn't speak, who knew what Donghae was capable of? The guy had connections.

"Yes," Jonghyun blurted out, slapping his hand over his mouth and running out of the car, forgetting to close the door in the process. Eunhyuk started exhaling through his nose loudly, watching Jonghyun as he squeezed into the first taxi.

"So that's what happened," Donghae grinned triumphantly, nudging Eunhyuk again. "You confessed to Hyo."

"I'm not talking about it."

"Hyoyeon?" Donghae turned to the girl on his right, who had her arms crossed and was staring out the window. "Hey, Hyoyeon?"

"What?" her voice came out strangely; it was a foreign sound both boys were unfamiliar to. Hyoyeon's voice was cold and hollow, emotionless, almost robotic, and had not a hint of the usual Hyoyeon's perkiness.

"Um," the mediator found himself at a loss for what to say.

"You didn't have to do that." Eunhyuk whispered.

"Do what?" Hyoyeon responded, sounding hurt.

"Not say anything--I mean, even if you rejected me, it would have been better. But you didn't say anything at all." Now Eunhyuk sounded more hurt. He glanced quickly at Hyoyeon, who was looking at her lap.

"I don't know right now, okay? Give me time to think." she murmured.