Verse Two.

Eyes on me.

 

Time is everything that Kris has.

 

It's the things to spend them on that he lacks.

 

His life is a painting. Months and years to create just one masterpiece.

 

With so much time, he searched for his inspiration. Something different from his usual black and grey sketches.

 

And then he met Chanyeol. A boy that filled his canvas with colours.

 

***

 

Kris paused momentarily in front of the small stage, eyeing the singing band.

 

"Hey you!" His eyes shifted and locked onto a smiling man with a single dimple, who threw him a wink behind the bar.

 

"Hello there, handsome." Kris rolled his eyes at his chuckling best friend and sat down at his usual seat at the bar, which gave him the perfect view of the rest of the pub.

 

"The usual?" Kris nodded to the bartender, keeping his eyes on the people scattered around the room.

 

The pub EXO was buzzing with people and music. The live band was playing Kings of Leon's 'Use Somebody', married men watching football, drunken college students dancing, single men and women flirting with a sneaky kiss here and there.

 

Perfect.

 

Lay reappeared in front of Kris with a cup of black coffee.

 

"We've taken hot drinks off the menu now, but I saved this just for you, darling." Kris nodded and took a sip from the mug. Lay wasn't particularly happy about his friend's silent reply.

 

"Yah! Where's my heartfelt 'thank you'? I could get fired for this."

 

Kris scoffed. "Your boyfriend owns this place, you're not going to get fired." Lay huffed and crossed his arms. Kris chuckled. He reached over and flicked under Lay's chin with his long finger.

 

"Thank you, Yixing." He sang, making the younger smile.

 

"Remember, it's 'Lay' inside this place. But you're welcome, pretty boy." Kris cringed.

 

"I'm flattered, but saved your mushy nicknames for Luhan. I'm getting goosebumps."

 

"No can do, babydoll. I like teasing you better. Luhan doesn't get annoyed like you do, he just gets flustered instead." Lay beamed at the thought of his boyfriend. Kris shuddered dramatically and sipped his drink. Lay stuck his tongue out.

 

Applause and cheers erupted in the corner of the room. The two Chinese looked over to the stage to find the cause of the commotion.

 

"Thank you everyone. Tonight is, sadly, our last night," The crowd gave a theatrical 'aww' and the lead singer laughed, "But um, we'll make it count. We're dedicating this last song to a special someone. Without his encouragement, we would've given up on our dreams a long time ago. I think you all know what I'm talking about!" The crowd went crazy and threw their applause and cheers towards the bar. Lay waved his hand around with a huge smile and Kris face palmed.

 

"A gentle and loving song for our forever gentle and loving boss-in-law, Lay! Enjoy!" The keyboard begun the song and Kris turned his attention back to his coffee.

 

"Cheer up, moody face. Enjoy the song!" Kris just growled and opened his sketchbook. Lay peered over and turned the sketchbook around to have a proper look.

 

"Found any inspiration yet?" Lay flicked through the pages, skipping past the black and grey drawings at the start of the sketchbook. He slowed down towards the end and looked carefully at some rough coloured sketches: fingers holding onto the handle of a mug, a pair of tatty converse, a book shelf filled with colourful books. He widened his eyes in interest when he found a beautiful coloured sketch of with a pair of headphones on a head, but the facial features were left blurred. Kris sighed.

 

"Don't worry, honey. It'll come when it comes, right? You've already taken a huge step forward with these coloured drawings. Maybe just try working with the things you have for now?" Kris held his forehead in his hand, elbow leaning on the counter. Lay put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

 

"We have a lot of interesting looking customers tonight. If you don't find it tonight, there's always tomorrow. And then the day after that. Take it slow and easy. One step at a time, remember?" Kris looked up and smiled softly at his friend.

 

"Thanks."

 

***

 

Kris walked into the pub a bit later than he usually does. He noticed as he walked past that the stage's usual band was replaced by a single singer with a simple guitar. Although he was doing a surprisingly good job at playing FTIsland's 'Love Love Love' by himself.

 

"You're late, honey. And where have you been all week?" Lay put his hands on his hips and frowned like a mother. Kris sat down at his usual seat and gave the bartender a blinding smile.

 

"I think I might have found it." The wine glass fell out of Lay's hand as he gasped with his hands over his mouth. He jumped up and reached over the counter to strangle Kris in a hug.

 

"Ooooh I'm so happy for you, hun! Didn't I tell you that you'd find it eventually? Didn't I?" Kris tried to compose himself as much as possibly but he couldn't help but smile with the excited man.

 

"Thanks, Yixing."

 

"Buh-buh-buh. It's 'Lay'." The man with the dimple released his friend and wriggled his finger at him with a playful frown.

 

"I don't even know why you bother." Kris sat back down properly while Lay made him his usual drink.

 

"It's the whole point of this pub. By day, everyone works their asses off at their boring jobs to survive. By night, we offer them a place to release their inner self and be someone different. Nobody uses their real names in here anymore. It's the ultimate hideout - hence the name, EXOplanet - out of this world."

 

"But you do way more than that. This place is turning into a confession box with free counselling." Lay turned back around with Kris' coffee.

 

"I'm just glad that I can help some troubled people." He shrugged as he placed the mug in front of Kris.

 

"Following your dream to help people, huh?" Kris smiled and Lay's face lit up, revealing his dimple.

 

"That's right!"

 

The two old friends chatted casually while Lay tidied up the bar as the pub's closing time approached.

 

The singer at the stage was finishing off for the night with his last song.

 

"Whenever sang my songs, on the stage, on my own.

 

Whenever said my words, wishing they would be heard..."

 

Kris turned to look at the singer as soon as his deep yet mellow voice hit his eardrum.

 

He couldn't take his eyes off the tall brunette.

 

"Who's that?" He asked Lay.

 

"He's new here. Sweet kid with guts - he doesn't even have a band. Says he's going to be famous one day." Lay smiled at the singing boy.

 

"Got a name?"

 

Finished with drying the wine glasses, Lay leaned on the bar counter and smirked at his best friend. "Has Mr. Perfect finally found someone he likes?"

 

Kris rolled his eyes and Lay chuckled. "Phoenix."

 

"Got a real one?"

 

Lay raised his eyebrows at his friend's peculiar behaviour. "Why?"

 

Knowing that the bartender would not be satisfied with anything but the truth, Kris sighed softly and opened his sketchbook to reveal a delicate pencil sketch of a pair of eyes. Lay's eyes went wide.

 

"Ge, you..."

 

"Can I know the name now?" Kris interrupted. Lay bit his lip and hesitated.

 

"Chanyeol. He's called Chanyeol."

 

***

 

Kris took a deep breath as he approached the lone singer at the stage, who was packing up for the night.

 

"Hey." The brunette looked up at the greeting man with blank eyes and smiled briefly.

 

"Hey." Kris gulped as the boy returned to packing his things, showing no interest to the stranger in front of him whatsoever.

 

.

 

"You look familiar." The boy sneered.

 

"Really? That's the best line you could come up with?" He raised his eyebrows at the taller man. His eyes were a little different than how Kris remembered.

 

"You've replaced your glasses with eyeliner tonight." The boy widened his eyes and looked suspiciously at the man, taking a step backwards.

 

"Oh." It took a while for his brain to register the features of the stranger, but he remembered. "Oh. You're the artist that comes to Two Moons."

 

Kris nodded and the boy smiled, embarrassed. A dramatic gasp from his derpy friend, who suddenly appeared by the brunette's side, broke the awkward silence.

 

Kris cleared his throat. "Hi. I'm...Kris." The singer raised his eyebrows again.

 

"Is that your real name?" Kris smiled, amused by his bluntness.

 

"It's Wufan." Kris held out his hand and smiled warmly at the boy, who was hesitant to shake it.

 

"Hi! My name's Baekhyun and this is Chanyeol. It's a pleasure to meet you!" Chanyeol glared at his animated friend who took the elder's hand eagerly.

 

"The pleasure's all mine." Kris smiled like a perfect gentleman. Baekhyun squealed at the sight. Chanyeol nudged harshly to silence him.

 

"Baekhyun-ah, can you go get my bag from the locker room please?" Baekhyun didn't argue with Chanyeol's fierce glare and walked away sheepishly.

 

They were alone again.

 

"Can I help you with anything?" Chanyeol asked. His heartbeat quickened again when he saw the man's firm eyes on him.

 

"Yes. You can help me with plenty, actually." Kris chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of his neck.

 

Chanyeol was confused. "What can I do for an artist?"

 

"I've had my big break a few years back." Kris explained. "I got famous for portraying the coldness of everyday objects in black and grey paintings and sketches, but now I'm stuck. I need some new materials. I've tried everything. I've even started to paint with colours but nothing worked. Illustrating human features and depicting the warmth of life has always been difficult for me. I haven't found someone that I would like to draw yet, until I saw your eyes." Kris opened his sketchbook and revealed the sketch of a beautiful pair of eyes. Its owner was bewildered at the sight.

 

"I want you to model for me. Let me paint you. My inspiration has been everywhere since I first saw you. I need your help." Kris pleaded sincerely. The other just opened and closed his mouth, lost for words.

 

"Please."

 

Chanyeol was torn.

 

I don't really have time for this, his brain said.

 

"Sure. I'll help you."