Verse One.

Eyes on me.

 

Time is a luxury that Chanyeol wished he could afford.

 

He was forced to sacrifice a lot of things because he doesn't have the time to spare on them.

 

His life is a song. A full story within the spam of three to four minutes.

 

With so little time, he focussed on nothing but his target. Cautious with what he filled his melody with.

 

And then he met Kris. A man that made the lyrics of his song.

 

***

 

It was an ordinary day in an quiet city, where a handsome boy was working in an coffee book shop.

 

Chanyeol was wearing his huge, white headphones while he organised the book shelves. The tall brunette was quietly humming along to Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat's 'Lucky' as he worked. His mood was just like the song - upbeat and happy.

 

The shop was in its usual state with very little customers. There were a few silent readers sitting here and there, but overall, it was a quiet day just like any other.

 

He felt a soft tap on his shoulder and turned around, sliding his headphones down to his neck.

 

"Hey, Chanyeol. Can you man the till for me? I'm going out for a while to stock up." Chanyeol nodded to Suho's warm smile and finished off placing the books in their correct places, before putting on an apron to stand behind the counter near the entrance.

 

Then he waited. Just like he always does. He didn't really like it - he's not a patient boy. He kept smiling though, because he liked his job. It was a simple one. It was organise the books, man the till, make coffee and nothing more.

With nothing else to do, Chanyeol started to tidy up. He prepared the large coffee machine with more coffee beans. Easy. Washed up the mugs and plates then placed them back into the cabinets. Sorted. Found a cloth and wiped the counter. Done.

 

The shop's customers were usually limited. "Not a lot of people have time for reading anymore." He remembered his boss' words. Suho didn't really mind the lack of money the shop was making. It was just a dream he had to fulfill. He was rich enough to afford a dream, unlike Chanyeol, who was still making money for his.

 

The chime of the bells by the entrance meant that a customer had entered. Chanyeol looked up and saw a tall man enter the shop.

 

"Hi there! Welcome to Two Moons. Would you like a drink?" Chanyeol smiled at the man, who was looking around with curious eyes. He nodded.

 

"Black coffee, please." Chanyeol took the money off the man's abnormally big hands. He met the man's questioning eyes.

 

"You're new here, right?" The man nodded again. Chanyeol made his eyes smile and gestured to the many small sofas scattered around the shop.

 

"Take a seat and help yourself to a book if you like. I'll bring your drink over when it's ready." The tall man nodded for a third time and sat down at a sofa by the window, still exploring his surroundings with his dark eyes.

 

Chanyeol briefly eyed the man whilst he made the coffee behind the counter. He caught eyes with the man and instantly looked away, focussing on the coffee again. The pleasant smell of coffee filled the small shop. He inhaled deeply. He liked the smell, but never the taste.

 

"Here you go." Chanyeol smiled as he placed the mug on the table. The man bowed his head a little and thanked him.

 

At the counter, Chanyeol glanced at the man again. Blond hair, handsome features, empty expression, no smile. He noticed that the man didn't find a book like he told him. Instead, he retrieved a sketchbook from his leather bag and opened it to a new page. The man was tapping his small pencil on the blank page, clearly waiting for the muse.

 

Chanyeol turned his attention back to his work. Since there wasn't any sign of customers, he put his headphones back on. He grabbed a mop and begun to mop up the wooden floors, swaying along to the music. He danced with the mop as his partner, careful not to distract the readers around him.

 

After finishing everything that he possibly could, Chanyeol stood at the counter again. He glanced over at the man with the coffee, who seemed to have given up and closed his sketchbook. He grabbed his things and walked out silently, leaving Chanyeol with a curt nod. Chanyeol smiled and nodded in return.

 

The boy with the headphones walked over to collect the mug and was surprised to see it untouched. Next to it, was a detailed pencil drawing of his cup of coffee on a piece of ripped sketch paper. The man even included the foam leaf of the coffee. Chanyeol raised his eyebrows at the note he left at the bottom of the sketch.

 

It looks amazing, but I asked for black coffee.

 

***

 

He returned next week. Asked for the same drink, sat in the same place and opened his sketchbook again.

 

It wasn't Chanyeol who served him this time, but his friend Baekhyun.

 

"Yah, Yeollie!" Baekhyun whispered loudly and excitedly waved his friend over to the counter. Chanyeol placed the books in his hands aside and slid his headphones down. He walked over, a little annoyed. There were still three more boxes of books to sort through.

 

"What?"

 

"Look!" Baekhyun pointed over in the direction of the sketching man and giggled. "Pretty good looking, huh?"

 

Chanyeol didn't recognise the man at first, but the sketchbook and the blond hair triggered his memory.

 

"Yeah...I guess." Baekhyun gasped dramatically and Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "Okay, fine. Very good looking. But not my type."

 

It was Baekhyun's turn to roll his eyes. "Nobody is your type, Chanyeol."

 

"You know why though."

 

"Not until you've fulfilled your dream, I know. But there's always an exception to every rule." Baekhyun followed Chanyeol to the sink behind the counter and watched as he started to wash up the mugs and plates.

 

"Nope, not my rules. I follow my rules." Chanyeol stated simply.

 

"You're so stubborn sometimes." Baekhyun twitched his lips to one side, slightly annoyed.

 

"That's me." Chanyeol smiled brightly. Baekhyun suddenly noticed something different about his friend today.

 

"Where are your glasses?"

 

Chanyeol shrugged, "I couldn't find them this morning and I was running late, so I just came to work without them."

 

Baekhyun nodded and leaned against the sink, facing the shop front again then suddenly squealed. Chanyeol sighed.

 

"What now?"

 

"He's coming over this way!"

 

"Oh my god he's totally going to ask for your number!" Chanyeol said sarcastically which earned him a slap on the arm. The tall man strutted towards them and stopped in front of the counter, waiting. Baekhyun approached the till and smiled shyly.

 

"Can I help you?"

 

"Yeah. Can I get another black coffee, please?" His voice was deeper than Chanyeol remembered.

 

"S-sure. Right away." Chanyeol sniggered in the background and Baekhyun hissed at his friend on his way over to the coffee machine.

 

After placing the dried dishes back inside the cabinet, Chanyeol walked back out from behind the counter. He smiled briefly at the man as he walked past him and met his eyes once more. His vision was blurred and couldn't focus clearly on the man's face, but he could see that his eyes were strangely filled with fascination. Chanyeol tilted his slightly, puzzled, and returned to his previous work station by the shelves near the other side of the shop.

 

He placed his headphones back on and resumed sorting out the large boxes of new books that Suho had stocked in.

 

He didn't even notice that his heartbeat had increased.

 

***

 

He comes about once or twice a week. Slowly becoming a regular (to Baekhyun's delight). Always the same drink, same sofa and same sketchbook.

 

Chanyeol didn't really have time to fanboy with his friend. He had other things to do.

 

"What happened to your glasses in the end?" They were drying the freshly cleaned dishes at the sink together. There were a lot more to do than usual since it was a Sunday, the busiest day of the week, even though 'busy' means something a little different inside Two Moons compared to other shops.

 

Chanyeol sighed. "I think I've lost them for good."

 

"Buy some new ones?" Baekhyun suggested.

 

"I think I'm going to have to. I gave on looking - I didn't even know where to start in my apartment!" This was the consequence of a messy home. But there was never enough time for Chanyeol to tidy up. There was always something else to be done.

 

"Are you wearing contacts now?"

 

"No, I'm saving them for later tonight. I don't want to wear them all day. My eyes will die."

 

Baekhyun nodded understandingly. "Pub tonight?"

 

"Yeah." Chanyeol said excitedly, smiling wide and showing off his perfect teeth.

 

"I'm free tonight. I'll come watch since I've never been." Baekhyun smiled.

 

"Really?" Chanyeol's face lit up even brighter. Baekhyun nodded and Chanyeol nearly knocked him over with a hug.

 

"I'll even help with your makeup." Chanyeol released his friend immediately with eyes wide.

 

"Last time you did my makeup, I looked like someone had punched me in the eye with the excessive amount of eye shadow you put on me." Chanyeol frowned.

 

"I promise I won't use any eye shadow this time, but you've got to at least grant me eyeliner." Chanyeol gave it some thought and his smile returned to his face.

 

"Deal."