Forgetting and forgiving

Behind Locked Doors

 

Heechul shuddered as he was led down countless white washed walled halls. The smell of antiseptic burned his eyes. He hadn’t said a word since he’d set foot on Korean ground, immediately rushing past countless fans to get into the van. His manager hitting the gas pedal as fast as he could as Sungmin clung to Heechul’s hand and Donghae sobbed into Eunhyuk’s shoulder. He hadn’t registered any of the words being said to him after he’d heard what Kyuhyun’s Appa had requested. All that mattered was getting to Kyuhyun, to see him, make it right. He had to be there to hold him, like Kyuhyun had always been there for him. Heechul wouldn’t rest until Kyuhyun was happy and smiling. Just like he had been before Heechul had come into his life. Sungmin had his face pressed into Heechul’s shoulder blades as he clung to the older, his tears drenching his shirt but Heechul didn’t care about it. ‘H-hyung, I don’t think I can see h-him like this again’ Sungmin hiccupped softly as the nurse pointed them to the door where Kyuhyun’s family were waiting. Heechul turned, biting his lip at the sight of the always happy Sungmin crying and pale, his small frame wracking with sobs. Heechul pulled him close, letting him sob into his shoulder. ‘I… I don’t think I can do it either Minnie but Kyu needs us, he needs us to be strong like last time. I won’t leave him, I won’t let him be alone’ Heechul whispered. There was a lump in his throat and his heart was hammering in his chest. Images of Kyuhyun lying pale and broken, not breathing was flashing through his mind. Images of Kyuhyun’s body covered by the white sheet with only his hair visible, eyes never to open again. Leeteuk watched the two younger men cling to each other, sobbing. They were both afraid to enter and find out the truth and it broke Leeteuk’s heart. He swallowed his own tears, putting on a soft smile and a brave face. He was the leader. Now wasn’t the time for him to be sad and panicked, he needed to be brave for them. Leeteuk wrapped his arms around his two dongsaeng’s, wiping the tears from their eyes, ‘Kyuhyun is a fighter, and he loves you both so much. He won’t give up while you two are still here’. Heechul just nodded weakly as Leeteuk placed a kiss on his forehead, nodding at him to open the door.

            The round metal knob was cold against his palm as he twisted it. Heechul was shaking, trying to calm and compose himself as the door opened. He could hear Ara crying and Kyuhyun’s Ummas soft voice wavering as she spoke to her sobbing daughter. Heechul opened the door, stepping into the room. Everything went quiet as the three Cho’s looked up, taking in the shaking form before them. Heechul’s hair was messy, his face pale, eyes a swollen red and tears stilled rolled down his soft cheeks. Heechul opened his mouth to speak, but the words wouldn’t form, he couldn’t say anything. ‘Oh son…come here’ Kyuhyun’s Appa choked out softly. He stood up and pulled Heechul into his arms. He rubbed soothing circles into Heechul’s back, frowning as he realised just how tiny Heechul was. He was all bones and he was shaking. ‘I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry. It’s my fault. It’s my entire fault. I’m sorry’ Heechul sobbed as he clung to Kyuhyun’s Appa. Kyuhyun’s Appa just smiled weakly, cradling the boy against his chest. ‘It’s ok Heechul; it’s not your fault, its okay. Kyuhyun…Kyu will be ok now that you’re here, I know he won’t leave you’ He ran a hand through Heechul’s hair, trying to calm the younger down as his own tears slipped down his face. His chest ached as he watched Heechul cry his heart out and cling to him despite all he’d done to hurt him. He felt the Heechul body go limp in his arms. ‘Heechul-ah? Heechul?” he panicked shaking the younger. Heechul’s head lolled back, eyes closed. Leeteuk was at his side in an instance, taking Heechul into his arms. ‘Oh Chullie…’ Leeteuk sighed as he sat down, holding Heechul against him. ‘What wrong with him?’ Ara asked, kneeling before him, Heechul’s silky hair. ‘It’s how his body handles with stress. It shuts down, it could be hours or day or two before he wakes up. He hasn’t eaten since we were told Kyuhyun had left for Korea. He just wanted to make it better, in the end it wasn’t even his fault.

Our ex-member forced himself on Heechul backstage when he knew Kyu would see it’ Leeteuk sighed, smiling gratefully at Kyuhyun’s father as he tucked his jacket around Heechul’s weak figure. ‘He really does love my son doesn’t he?’ Kyuhyun’s father asked softly, tears in his eyes. ‘Leeteuk went to answer but was interrupted by Kyuhyun’s mother. She slipped her hand into her husbands, squeezing it gently, ‘He does yeobo. He would never try hurting our Kyuhyunnie, can’t you see? Kyuhyun is his life now’. Her husband smiled softly, kissing her temple, ‘I’m sorry I didn’t realise this before, I’m sorry jagiya’. His wife smiled, Heechul’s pale face as he curled into Leeteuk.

          Sungmin burst into the room, startling everyone. He panted, leaning against the door. ‘The doctor is back, he says Kyuhyun is stable for now….what happened to Hyung?’ Sungmins eyes fell on Heechul’s lifeless form, rushing to his side, feeling his cheeks and forehead. Leeteuk watched as the doctor entered the room, nodding to the family. ‘How’s my brother?’ Ara asked desperately as Siwon entered, wrapping his arms around her. ‘Kyuhyun is stable, he hasn’t woken yet but the surgery was successful. Luckily, his lung wasn’t pierced like it was before. He had some blood clotting but we handle it. He had a blood transfusion. Three of his ribs are broken, along with his radius and ulna, so he has a few metal stints placed in his arm to help them heal’ the Doctor receipted, eyes never leaving the chart in his hands. Miss Cho sighed in relief, holding her husband close. Mr Cho smiled, glancing at Heechul, ‘Doctor-nim? Is there another bed that could be put with my sons? His boyfriend has a stress condition, we don’t know when he’ll wake and he hasn’t eaten in a while, he may need a bit of attention’. The doctor nodded, motioning for them to follow him. Leeteuk went to stand when Mr Cho stopped him, slipping his hand under Heechul’s body, lifting him from his leaders grasp. ‘Jungsoo-ah let me. You’ve been working so hard for both my son and your members; please let me take this burden from your shoulders. Go home, let your brothers care for you tonight son, rest’. With that said, Mr Cho cradled Heechul against him as if he was about to slip from his grasp and break into a million pieces. He followed Sungmin down the corridor, entering the room. His heart clenched as he heard the low monotone beep of the heart machine that monitored his son’s heartbeat. The doctor was fixing things and scribbling on his chart as he lay Heechul down in the bed, covering him with the thin white sheets. Mr Cho gulped, closing his eyes to compose himself before glancing at his son. Kyuhyun lay on the small bed, his left arm was covered in a cast, and his chest rose unsteadily as he tried to breath, a mask placed over his mouth that was connected to a tank of oxygen to help and wires sticking out of his arms. His normally pale face was bruised, his cheek cut, small cuts littering his other bare arm and face. He looked so small and broken. In that moment, he was glad that Heechul was not awake to see it; he knew it would break Heechul’s heart. Mr Cho pushed Heechul’s bed right up beside Kyuhyun’s; he lifted Heechul’s hand gently, placing it in Kyuhyun’s good hand. A smile formed on his face as Kyuhyun’s hand instinctively tangled it’s self with Heechul’s. ‘I am so proud of you, of you both’ he spoke softly, placing a kiss on each of the boy’s foreheads as his wife wrapped an arm around him, kissing his cheek. ‘Let’s go home yeobo; we’ll be back in the morning’. Mr Cho smiled, nodding; he took one last look at the peaceful lovers. His thoughts on his hopes for a better and brighter future for them both.

                   Kyuhyun felt heavy. His head was throbbing and he couldn’t feel his left arm. He could hear voices, whispering softly. Whether they were real or in his head he couldn’t tell, the words were blurred and rushed together. He wanted to stretch and yawn, to open his eyes and go get some breakfast but he couldn’t move. The voices kept talking, one of them sad, almost crying from what Kyuhyun could tell. He wanted to reach out, hold the person until they stopped crying but again he failed to move. The voices became clearer as his body tingled softly, pricking with little burst of pain. ‘It was a motorbike accident, he’s lucky it wasn’t worse, he’ll heal’ one voice comforted the other. ‘But what about Hyung? He hasn’t woken up yet, they’ve had to put him on a drip, it’s been two days…what if Kyu wakes up but he doesn’t’ the second voice cried. ‘Heechul will wake up soon…its ok Minnie, they’ll be ok. Nothing bad showed up on Heechul’s scan, the doctor said its stress and fatigue. If he doesn’t...then…then…god, I don’t know what they’ll do Minnie’ the voice was stressed this time. Kyuhyun could hear beeping in the background, his mind swimming from the information. Motorbike accident? Heechul wasn’t awake. Kyuhyun felt a deep dread in the pit of his stomach as his eyes fluttered behind the lids. What if he’d taken Heechul out for a spin and had caused a crash? What if he never woke up? Kyuhyun tried to remember, but he couldn’t. He remembered the pain, screaming Heechul’s name and blacking out. Nothing else. ‘Hyung! Hyung! Look, Kyu’s moving!’ the second voice was excited. ‘Call his parents!’ the first voice was excited, ‘Kyuhyun? Kyu, open your eyes Kyu. It’s ok, you’re safe now Kyu’. Kyuhyun gulped, his throat was dry. His finger clenched around someone else slender ones. Kyuhyun whimpered softly, his eyes opening slowly, adjusting to the light. His vision was blurred at first, but slowly it focused and he could see Leeteuk and Sungmin smiling at him softly. Kyuhyun winced at the pain that shot through his left arm, glancing down he saw the cast and bruises that litter his body. Kyuhyun gulped, trying to wet his dry throat. Sungmin realised what was happening, he raised a glass of water with a straw in it to Kyuhyun’s capped sore lips. Kyuhyun left out a soft moan of appreciation. ‘H-Hyung…what h-happened?’ Kyuhyun struggled to say, his eyes darting tiredly between Leeteuk and Sungmin. ‘Well…you and Heechul…at the concert, Hangeng forced himself on Heechul and it looked like he was cheating on you. You were upset, you gave him back your ring and left before we did and got a plane back to Korea. After that, we don’t know what happened but Ara said you got a call and you were upset. You drove off, hysterical and lost control on the motorway and crashed’ Leeteuk explained softly, giving Kyuhyun a sad smile. ‘You broke three ribs and both your ulna and radius. They placed metal bars in your arm, like they did to Heechul’s leg. We’ve all been so worried Hyunnie’ Sungmin wiped the small tear from Kyuhyun’s face softly.

          Kyuhyun gulped, struggling to remember the incidents. He noticed that he wasn’t holding either of their hands, yet his fingers were still holding onto someone else’s tightly.  He turned his head to the right, his eyes watering at the sight before him. Heechul’s hair was greasy and plastered to his abnormally pale face. There were deep dark circles under his eyes, his skin waxy. He was curled on his side, as if he could hide away from the world, shivering. A thin see through tube was inserted into one of his arms, proving him with nutrients. Kyuhyun’s hand was held tightly by Heechul’s. Kyuhyun wanted nothing more then to pull him closer, to cradle him and make him wake up. He wanted to kiss him until he got better but he couldn’t so he settled for rubbing circles into his hand with his thumb. Kyuhyun sobbed softly, ‘W-why is he like this?’ ‘He was stressed. I asked Jungsoo to call him down because I knew if he was around, you’d get better. He always healed you. I was holding him, letting him cry it out when he passed out. I never got to tell him how proud I was of having a son-in-law, or soon to be son-in-law like him’ Mr Cho entered the room, sitting at the edge of Heechul’s bed, his greasy hair, ‘I’m glad you’re awake son’. Kyuhyun was lost for words at the affection in his father’s voice for not only him, but Heechul after months of snide comments and silence. ‘Appa…thank you’ Kyuhyun smiled happily, choked by the sudden development. ‘Don’t let him go son, he was so broken when I saw him…he really does love you, and god knows you need him more then ever’ Mr Cho smiled, touching their clasped hands. Kyuhyun nodded, holding his breath as Heechul moved. They all waited, hoping for the pale lids to open and revel those brown eyes but Heechul just cuddled closer to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun moved, ignoring the pain as he leaned over to kiss Heechul’s forehead, whispering softly, ‘I don’t remember what happened but please wake up. Whatever happened is in the past, just please way up Chullie’. Kyuhyun rest his head against his, gazing up as Ara burst into the room. A big smile on her face, Siwon following close behind. ‘We got him!’ Ara exclaimed. ‘Who?’ Mr Cho laughed, confused by his eldest’s act of happiness. ‘We tracked it all. The chocolates, the last call Kyuhyun recived, all the other calls and threats. All of it traces back to Hangeng, he left a papertrail. SM are in the process of getting the police to press charges for what he’s done to you and Heechul’ Ara exclaimed happily. Kyuhyun felt a weight being lfited off hbis chest at the announcement. He started laughing as everyone starting talking animatedly. Soon joined by the rest of the Super junior members, the nurses rolled their eyes as they check over Kyuhyun and Heechul as the members messed around and chatted loudly. ‘Yah! Can’t a guy get some damn sleep?’ a sharp voice interrupted. Kyuhyun blinked, gazing down at the man in his arms who had one eye open, the other still closed. Heechul blinked as everyone went quiet, taking in his surrounding, ‘Where…where am…is Kyuhyun okay?? Is he away??’. Heechil demanded, almost panicking as he tried to sit up but his body was weak. ‘Yah, Kim Heechul, I’m perfectly fine you pabo’ Kyuhyun smirked softly, kissing his temple as Heechul’s eyes widen and the room burst into laughter at the elders confusion