The Wait and The Truth

Behind Locked Doors

 

Heechul paced the white corridors. His hands shaking, his face frozen in a lost and frightened expression. It had been three hours since he’d found Kyuhyun. The news that Kyuhyun had been taken to hospital in an ambulance had already spread across the internet. Heechul’s phone had been blowing up with texts and calls since it hit the web. Mostly from a very concerned Minho who was insisting on driving to the hospital. Heechul stopped, biting his lip. He remembered the members rushing around him, some crying or gone waiting for the paramedics. All he could do was sit and hold Kyuhyun’s cold, sweaty hand and stare. Waiting, praying for them to come faster. Everything after the paramedic’s arrival was a blur. He’d be pulled away and held back by Sungmin as they took Kyuhyun away. Breaking fee and grabbing the keys to the van, yelling at the others to get in or they were staying behind. Being pulled away from driving to be held by Siwon as Leeteuk drove as fast as he could without getting them killed or into a scandal. His phone flashing with texts. Reporters attempting to snap pictures as they followed Kyuhyun into the hospital. Watching as he was rushed throw the white doors followed by doctors. Then the waiting. It had been an hour. Maybe two, Heechul had lost track of time. His mind consumed by the possibilities of what was going on behind those white doors.

                    ‘What if I was too late? He could have stopped breathing. He has a bad chest from his surgery, what if a lung collapsed? What if it’s all ready struck his heart and it’s stopped the flow of blood? What if the brain isn’t getting enough oxygen and he has gone in to a comatose state? What if he’s already…and they’re trying to find the right words to say…Kyuhyun…Kyuhyunnie….’ Heechul could feel his eyes tearing as the thoughts swam in his head.  ‘Heechul? Oppa?’ a small voice questioned as a hand tugged at his jacket.

Heechul turned slowly, greeted with the sight of a worried and teary eyed Ara. Heechul couldn’t help but notice how similar she looked to Kyuhyun and immediately took the younger into his arms as they both started to cry slightly. ‘Is he…? Is there any word…?’ Ara asked, pulling away softly. Heechul bit back the tears as he shook his head, his voice hoarse, Ara hugged him once again, allowing her Oppa to feel some comfort from someone who was feeling the same way. Heechul squeezed her softly, patting her shoulder soothingly, thankful for the hug. ‘Ara, where are you? Where’s your brother?’ Heechul stepped back, bowing respectfully as Kyuhyun’s parents rounded the corner. His mother smiled at Heechul softly, taking in his red eyes, pale face and lost look. ‘Heechul-ah, you look so pale son, you’ve been so worried, where are the others? Where’s our Kyu?’ Kyuhyun’s mother cupped his cheek softly, inspecting his face. Heechul smiled slightly, placing a hand over hers, ‘I’m fine Mrs Cho. The others went to get food and get rid of the press. Kyuhyun was taken into that room; we’re waiting on results’. Ms Cho his cheek softly, smiling, ‘Don’t worry Chullie-ah, my Kyuhyun wouldn’t leave such a kind caring boyfriend behind, now sit, all this stand and pacing can’t be doing you any good. You’ve lost weight since the last time I saw you’. Heechul let the older woman guide him into the seats that lined the wall. Heechul looked away as Kyuhyun’s father walked past, flinching as he hand touched Heechul’s head, sitting as far away as possible. ‘I went through a rough patch a few months back but Kyuhyun talked me around and I got better, I just haven’t put back up the weight yet with all our rehearsals, shows and varieties’ Heechul smiled, thankful for the distraction.

    Heechul continued talking to Mrs Cho as the time dragged out, her hand clutching his reassuringly. He kept glancing at the door, biting his lip, getting lost in thoughts. Siwon had returned with drinks, for everyone before seating himself beside Ara and taking her hand in his. This lead to Mrs Cho poking Heechul for information on the newly formed couple. Heechul held her hand tightly as they waited; ignoring the hard looks he got from Mr Cho. The group fell into silence as they heard talking and noises from behind the white doors where Kyuhyun had disappeared. Heechul stood up, Sungmin detaching from the wall and came his side. Mrs Cho stood at his other side, hand still in his. They watched as a doctor stepped through the doors, chart held in hand. He glanced at the anxious group, ‘Could I speak with the family of Cho Kyuhyun please?’ Heechul let go of Mrs Cho’s hand when the doctor spoke, biting his lip in disappointment. Mr Cho and Ara walked through the door the doctor was holding open. Mrs Cho glanced at the doctor, ‘Is it all right if my son’s boyfriend accompanies me? He has been here for hours and I think it’s only fair he hears what you have to say before any of my son’s friends are informed’. The doctor smiled softly, tucking her hair behind her ear, ‘Of course, he is more then welcome considering he hasn’t left here since we made him leave your son’s side, come on in Heechul-sshi’. Heechul smiled thankfully, bowing to the doctor as Mrs Cho led him through the door. The Doctor smiled, leading them down a hallway of doors to where Mr Cho and Ara waited. Mr Cho immediately narrowed his eyes at Heechul, ‘You have no right to be here. You are not apart of this family’. Heechul gulped, flinching from the tone of voice used. ‘Yeobo, stop it. Heechul has always been part of our family, now it’s just official since our son was lucky enough to choose such a smart and caring boy rather then live up to your fantasy of him being interested in women. Doctor, ignore my husband and please inform us of what condition my son is in’. The Doctor nodded, glancing at the chart in her hand, ‘Cho Kyuhyun has been stabilised, and there’s no complications. However we do need to keep him under observation for at least 48 hours considering his previous medical history. We traced what was in his system to a mixture of rat poison and some other household cleaning agents, is there anyway he could have ingested these in the last few hours?’ Heechul stepped back slightly, realisation hitting him, ‘He received chocolates from China, and he ate them last night before we went to bed’. Mrs Cho wrapped an arm around the visibly shaken Heechul. The doctor quickly wrote down the information, ‘Luckily, he only ingested some of it and we were able to pump his system clean, a few more and he wouldn’t have been so lucky, could you bring them to us? And is there anyone who would want to harm him?’ Heechul took a deep breath, ‘I-I can get Donghae to pick them up, they’re in our room on the floor. There might be..my ex….and our ex band member…he wasn’t too happy about us getting together after he went back to China’. The Doctor took it down, smiling sympathetically, ‘He should be awake soon; you can go in and wait with him if you like’. They all nodded as the Doctor left.

              ‘I’ll leave you alone with Kyuhyunnie for a while, I should go reassure the members, Sungmin is probably in worse shape then I was, he’ll want to know Kyu is alright’. Mrs Cho smiled softly, ‘Come straight in when you tell them, I’m sure Kyuhyun will want to see you when he wakes, he’ll be more worried about you then himself’. Heechul smiled softly. ‘No, he can wait till Kyuhyun is released to see him. It’s his fault Kyuhyun is in this mess’ Mr Cho said harshly, dragging Ara into the room. Mrs Cho rubbed her temples softly, sighing, ‘Ignore him, he’ll come around once he sees how much you mean to Kyuhyun. I’ll come get you when he wakes, ne?’ Heechul smiled slightly, nodding as he said thank you. Heechul turned his heart hurting with all the emotional conflict. He should have known when he’d seen that the chocolates were from China that they’d be from Hangeng. That he’d try to remove Kyuhyun without being anywhere near them. He stepped through the doors, bracing himself as Sungmin rushed forward. ‘Is he ok? Is he awake? Hyung??’ Sungmin questioned, gazing up at him hopefully. Heechul smiled, ‘Yah, what are you worrying about Minnie. You know how stubborn Kyuhyun is. He’s fine. He should wake up soon. Mrs Cho will come get me when he’s awake’. A wave of relief passed through their faces. Everyone started laughing, joking and smiling with relief. ‘But what happened him exactly?’ Leeteuk questioned. The celebrating stopped as eyes fixed on Heechul once again, he took a deep breath, ‘You may need to sit down for this……’

                  

            Kyuhyun’s body felt heavy. He was surrounded by darkness. He wanted to open his eyes but everything was numb. He felt like he was floating. Just hanging there, suspended in a void. No noise. No sight. Just a darkness gripping him. He could feel himself struggling against it. He needed to see Heechul, to make sure he was ok. That he hadn’t woken and eaten whatever had made him sick. He needed to make sure Heechul wasn’t crying or alone. Kyuhyun groaned softly. Everything rushing at him at once. He could hear his parents arguing softly and Ara telling them to stop. He listened more, hearing Heechul’s name come up. Kyuhyun strained, listening for Heechul’s voice, only hearing his mother say Heechul’s name. Kyuhyun struggled, trying to call Heechul’s name, to open his eyes as his hearing became clearer. ‘Yeobo, stop it. He did nothing wrong. You saw Heechul’s face, he’s worried, he’s been crying, he loves our son. Isn’t that the best we could ask for, for Kyuhyunnie?’  He heard his father scoff, ‘It’s the worst thing we could ask for! He should be with some classy, pretty woman who can provide Grandchildren for us! Hell, a street corner woman would be better then that man’. ‘Don’t talk about my Heechul l-like t-that!’ Kyuhyun managed to cough out. Slowly he battled his eyes open, immediately covering them with his hand, letting them adjust to the light. He pulled himself up slowly, his mouth dry and stomach feeling hollow. The first thing he noticed when he could see was the hospital room and the drip in his arm. His mother rushed over, his face, kissing his cheek in relief, ‘Oh, my baby is awake. Thank God, Heechul will be so relieved to know your ok!’ Kyuhyun smiled softly, ‘Umma, it’s good to see you. I’m fine Umma, where’s Heechul? I need to make sure he is ok’. Once again Heechul’s father clicked his tongue in disapproval, refusing to take part. ‘He’s outside with the rest of the boys, waiting for you to wake up’ Mrs Cho said, kissing her sons cheek one last time before hurry off to fetch Heechul. Kyuhyun nodded at his dad, ‘Appa’. Mr Cho gazed at his son, ‘It’s a relief that you’re ok. You had us worried. But you wouldn’t be in this mess if it weren’t for that boy’. Ara sighed, rubbing her temples, ‘Appa, stop. Kyuhyun is happy, he’s fine, that’s all that matters’. Their father stood, taking a deep breath, gazing at them coldly, ‘Tell that to the rest of Korea. Tell me you are still happy with him when you receive death threats, lose your contract or are killed by this psychotic ex-boyfriend of his!’ ‘Appa! I’m happy, I plan to be with him for a long time’ Kyuhyun stated firmly. He looked away, focusing on the door ignoring his father’s protests and input. Kyuhyun rubbed his head. He was tired but yet he was so awake at the same time. He just wanted to see Heechul.

          Kyuhyun sat up quickly as he heard voices talking and footsteps approaching the door. He couldn’t help the smile that pushed to the surface as Heechul finally appeared. Heechul had his head down as he crossed the threshold, flinching under the intensity of Mr Cho’s glare. Mrs Cho shot her husband a look, smiling at Heechul, squeezing his hand reassuringly. Heechul bit his lip as he looked up nervously. His eyes, filled with fear and a strong emotion Kyuhyun couldn’t place, met Kyuhyun’s own bright, worried eyes. Heechul let go of Mrs Cho’s hand rushing to the side of the hospital bed, immediately taking Kyuhyun’s hand in his, pressing it to his cheek, closing his eyes to hold back the tears, ‘I was so scared. Don’t you ever scare me like that again Kyuhyun’. Kyuhyun pulled Heechul down to sitting on the bed, running a hand through his hair softly, and ‘I’d be a fool to leave you behind Chullie. Don’t worry now, everything is fine baby’. Heechul smiled, cuddling into Kyuhyun carefully, kissing his cheek. Just taking in that he was still alive.

                     ‘I’ve had enough. I’m not going to sit here and watch my son with that thing. The thing that nearly got you killed tonight Kyuhyun. You may want to think it over. If I have to pull you from Super Junior or ruin your career to stop this nonsense you’re going through I just might. It’s his crazy ex that poisoned you. What next? Your mother? Your sister? Be smart Kyuhyun!’ Mr Cho hissed, grabbing his wife and daughters hand. He shot Heechul a glare, making sure it struck, noticing how he was shaking, ‘You’re nothing but dirt on my family’s name Kim Heechul’. Kyuhyun gulped, not believing his fathers own words. There was nothing worse in Kyuhyun’s mind then losing Heechul and losing the ability to perform in front of his fans. Kyuhyun felt Heechul tremble against him. The older had paled and was biting his lip to the point that it had started to bleed. Kyuhyun crossed his legs under him, placing Heechul in front of him, gently brushing away the blood on his lip. Heechul blinked back the tears, refusing to look at the other. ‘He’s right Kyu..it’s my fault this happened. Hangeng, if I hadn’t, then he wouldn’t. You wouldn’t have nearly died’ Heechul said softly, hugging himself. Kyuhyun frowned, reaching out and linking his fingers with Heechul’s. He kissed each of Heechul’s fingers softly as Heechul started to cry. ‘You will never be any of those things. Heechul, I waited years to make you mine, this isn’t going to put me off you. This wasn’t your fault, you didn’t give me the chocolates, you even told me not to eat them. Hangeng did this. He’s upset and maybe a little psycho but that won’t stop me from loving you for as long as you’ll let me’ Kyuhyun smiled softly, cupping Heechul’s cheek with his free hand.  Heechul smiled weakly, laughing, ‘God, who knew Cho Kyuhyun, had such a soft side? You’re more of a girl then I am’. Kyuhyun smirked, hugging Heechul closed, and ‘Difference is I look good as a woman’. Heechul scoffed, pushing at the other playfully, ‘Yeah right, you wish you looked as good as I do in girl clothes’. Kyuhyun smiled, kissing his cheek and nose, ‘Well, at least I look like a man then even if I have a soft side, kitten’. Heechul smiled, nuzzling his nose into Kyuhyun’s neck, ‘I love you Kyuhyun, but seriously, don’t scare me like that again’. Kyuhyun kissed his forehead softly, ‘I love you too Heenim, I promise no more scares’.

             Heechul closed his eyes, yawning cutely as he snuggled closer to Kyuhyun. Finally able to relax knowing that his Kyu was safe and unharmed. He shivered softly. Kyuhyun rubbed Heechul’s bare arm, trying to give him heat. The older was only dressed in one of Kyuhyun’s t-shirts and light pyjama pants. ‘Hey Chullie, when we go home I’ll talk to manager about getting us a week off or even a weekend after the Beijing concert so we can go away and rest, ne? Would you like that Heechul? Heechul?’ Kyuhyun questioned as he got no answer. He gazed down, smiling at the sight. Heechul was curled up in his lap, clutching his shirt, fast asleep. ‘You really are a kitten Heechul’ Kyuhyun laughed to himself. ‘Cute, but I reserve all rights to aegyo, got that Cho?’ Sungmin teased, seating himself beside Kyuhyun’s bed. Kyuhyun jumped slightly from the sudden sound, smiling back at his best friend, ‘All right Minnie, we all know you own the aegyo section of Super Junior’. Sungmin laughed, shrugging off his jacket, carefully wrapping it around the sleeping Heechul, ‘We don’t need two of you in here. God knows the next 48 hours are going to be a battle to get him home while the doctors keep an eye on you’. Sungmin paused for a second before punching Kyuhyun’s arm. Kyuhyun winced, ‘Yah! Hyung! What was that for?’ Sungmin shrugged, sitting back down, smiling, ‘For scaring us all. Again. After your last accident we were all terrified out there. We thought we’d lost you for good this time Kyuhyunnie’. Kyuhyun Heechul’s hair absentmindedly, ‘I know Hyung, I’m sorry for worrying you and the other Hyung’s so much’. Sungmin just laughed, ‘Don’t be, we’re glad you’re safe. We wouldn’t be Super Junior without our snarky evil maknae’. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, laughing and mock fighting back and forth with his hyung until their manager arrived and made him leave. Their manager tried to wake the sleeping diva but only got a glare as the older refused to leave the safe warm embrace of the younger. Eventually, when he realised that the older had no intention to move, left them in peace to sleep.