Sweet Things at Night

Babysitting Tiffany
 
CHAPTER 5 - SWEET THINGS AT NIGHT
 
 
Quiet. One word that now described Tiffany's house. The kitchen, where the maids and chefs were usually cooking, now had the absence of those employees. The ridiculously large living room where there are fireplace and fancy sofa, was empty. The dinning room that was a while ago filled with lively yet awkward situation between two humans; it was also empty. Of course it would happen, it was, after all, 1.34 am.
 
But that didn't happen to Tiffany.
 
It was still peacefully quiet in her room. Her bedroom was illuminated by two night lamps attached to the wall, still dim but quite clear for the owner to see things. If anyone asked where she was, she was laying on her bed. Positioned beneath the thick blanket, she laid comfortably. Her thoughts were wandering around as her eyes fixated to the ceiling. She heaved a sigh and shifted to the side, hugging one of her pink pillow. She sniffed the strawberry scent on that pillow belonged to someone who probably already drifted into dreamland.
 
 
"Jessica...."
 
 
Tiffany got up and went for the door, bringing the pillow along with her. She skipped to the room next to her. There she just stood still and stared blankly at the handlebar. She didn't have any intention to wake the girl up by frantically knocking the door or anything to distract her sleep. She just wanted to see her. She didn't know why, but she just wanted to make sure.
 
 
"Might as well peek a little. That wouldn't hurt right?"
 
She prepared herself to twist open the doorknob, tightening the grip on her pillow. But then she stopped midway.
 
"What if the door is locked?"
.
.
.
 
"Don't even think about it."
 
 
When she was about to turn around and go back to her bedroom, the door swung open. Tiffany was too shocked to greet the girl standing at the doorframe, dumbfounded.
 
"Fany?" Jessica covered as she yawned. "What are you doing in the middle of the night?" She looked curiously at Tiffany.
 
"Uhm I was…sleepwalking." Tiffany lied, smiling sheepishly to her. She could only adore the giggling Jessica in front of her. "What's so funny?"
 
"Uh Tiffany, I didn't know you have such a weird sleeping habit."
 
"So? We just know each other not too long ago anyway," Tiffany snorted.
 
"Why you sound like wanting to know me better?" Jessica grinned slyly.
 
"Ugh, don't start it again, Jessi." The red haired girl rolled her eyes.
 
"Who said you can call me Jessi?" Jessica crossed her arms when leaned to the doorframe. She raised one of her eyebrows.
 
"I don't see anything wrong with me calling you anything I please. Duh!"
 
"You were mad when I called you Miyoung earlier."
 
"Bringing up past thing which I don't like, that's a foul!"
 
What a lovely bickering at the doorframe, JeTi...
 
"What the? Is this a football game or what?!"
 
"You will get penalty!"
 
"This is ridiculous."
 
"It is not! So you think Miyoung is ridiculous!?"
 
"Hey, I'm not saying anything about that 'nickname'. See, you yourself who bring that topic up again!"
 
"I-HATE-YOU!"
 
Tiffany stomped her foot and went away from the threshold. However a hand stopped her. Now Jessica was staring deeply into Tiffany's eyes, she'd bore a hole on it.
 
 
"What?!" Tiffany broke their staring contest, causing the brunette to laugh a little. "Why you always laugh at me?!"
 
"You usually said 'let me go', but now it's different." Jessica loosened the grip on her wrist. "You didn't answer my question. Why you sound like wanting to know me better?"
 
Tiffany was caught off guard. She was a little bit disappointed when Jessica let her hand go, suddenly she longed her warm touch again. "Well... we really didn't start off with a nice introduction." She cleared , completely nervous. "Why are you still up? I thought you are sleeping." She finished off with her well-known awkward smile.
 
"You thought I'm sleeping? You thought of me?" Jessica teased, but she quickly threw her hands in the air. "I know exactly what that expression means. Sorry, my fault. I was uhh I was having a hard time sleeping. Weird because this never happen before."
 
"I know, you seem to be sleep-aholic type of girl."
 
"Really?" There was a long pause before she uttered innocently "...I need milk."
 
 
Tiffany's eyes were wide open. "Huh??"
 
 
"Ah. I have this habit of drinking a glass of milk before sleep. Don't get me wrong."
 
"So you gonna get some milk now?"
 
Jessica nodded eagerly. "You wanna go too?"
 
"Is that okay with you?"
 
"Of course. To have someone accompany you is better. But, you better return the pillow first." Jessica smiled teasingly but immediately snatched the pillow and threw it to her bed. "Let's go, let the poor pillow alone in my room."
 
 
*
 
 
Jessica grabbed two glasses from the counter and brought it to the dining table, where Miyoung Tiffany waited her. She got the milk powder and other stuffs in order to make the milk.
 
"Eh? I thought you'd come back with a glass warm vanila milk."
 
"I never said I'll make it for you at the first place. You go make your own." Jessica handed the box of the milk powder after pouring three spoonful of it into her glass.
 
"Annoying."
 
"I heard that." Jessica said while stirring down the milk. She watched the girl who was busy with herself. 'Does she have to be that serious only to make a glass of milk?' She shook her head and smile.
 
 
"Fany."
 
"Hmm?"
 
"You said we didn't start off with a nice introduction. I'm thinking the same too. So, let's start all over again." Jessica stopped whatever she was doing; looking intensely at Tiffany did count in the list. "Hi, I'm Jessica!"
 
"Hi Jessica, nice to meet you."
 
 
 
"H-hey... You were the one who ask for a proper introduction thingy, right?"
 
"Can you just shut up?" Tiffany shot a cold glare. "I'm in the middle of something!"
 
"How can 'making a glass of milk' take you so long? Geez, spoiled little girl." Jessica became impatient seeing her struggling. "Lemme help you."
 
"Yah! Stop, I can make it by myself!"
 
"Aishhh so stubborn! Lemme help!"
 
"No need! Look, I'm almost done!"
 
"Fine." Jessica frowned. She brought her glass to and was ready to gulp down the milk when Tiffany shouted.
 
"Wait! Together....3...2...1" 
 
And so they drank it at the same time. Jessica quickly put down the glass and raised her hand. "I'm the winner!!!" She playfully tapped her hands on the table.
 
"Aish, jinjja choding.."
 
Tiffany and Jessica exchanged glance and burst out into laughter.
 
 
"We've been so childish tonight."
 
"Things seem going pretty well now, don't they Fany?"
 
They said between laughter.
 
Slowly the laugh subsided and now Jessica smiled with her head resting on both hands. "I'm Jessica and I'm here to..."
 
Just when she wanted to continue, Tiffany brushed her thumb against her upper lip to wipe the milk moustache.
 
 
"Protect you."
 
"Hm? What did you say again?" Tiffany rested her hand on the table and blinked.
 
Jessica was flustered. She was taken aback by her action. She felt tingling sensation; her touch was electrifying, sent chill down her spine.
 
"I a-am Jessica and I......" Jessica felt like mentally slap herself, hard. "I want to sleep!!"
 
Jessica was halfway to the doorway when she heard Tiffany bitterly said, or most likely whined.
 
"You gonna leave me again like you did at dinner?"
 
Jessica spun around and flashed a warm smile. She intertwined her hand with Tiffany and led them to the heiress bedroom first.
 
"There, I don't ditch you."
 
Tiffany was grinning since their trip from the dining room to her bedroom. Jessica eyed her in a daze, opening the door in front of them.
 
"Thank you. You're not that bad at all.." Tiffany stepped into her room and hid behind the slightly opened door with only her upper body appear. "Good night." She added an oh-so-seductive wink and a mischievous smirk at the end.
 
Jessica's jaw was agape. A pink blush was evident on her cheeks.
 
 
"You just make it harder for me to sleep, Miyoung..."
 
 
 
TO BE CONTINUED