Rain

Babysitting Tiffany
 
CHAPTER 8 - RAIN
 
 
Jessica's POV
 
A loud naggy tone echoed in the spacious house of Hwang when they arrived. It deafened me ever since we got on our way back home. The chaotic evening caused by the unpredictable rain pouring down just when we were taking a stroll down the beach. 
 
"This is a bad idea since the beginning!" Tiffany bellowed as she shuffled across the hallway. "If I just stayed to my first plan, which is going straight to home and sleep, this thing wouldn't happen!"
 
Tiffany snatched a clean towel her maid offered her. She dried her dripping wet hair. Her menacing glance fell upon me, who was standing near the sofa helplessly.
 
"sorry."
 
I didn't know it'd happen, it was beyond my reach. The weather was fine, then a moment later we found ourselves running to our car, avoiding to get hit by rain.
 
"You're not the one to blame, though." Her eyes softened. "I mean, don't sorry me; say sorry to my car's leather seats. Thanks to you now they're soaking wet."
 
Awkward silence consumed us. I didn't know what to do, and I was afraid anything I'd do only make the situation worse.
 
"Here. I don't want you to get sick," she mumbled and handed me a towel, a new one. She flashed a small smile before heading to her room.
 
 
 
Tiffany's POV
 
I closed the door behind me, pressed my back against it. I snorted as Jessica's face flooded my thoughts.
 
 
*
 
 
"Fany! Fany! Wake up! We're here!"
 
Two swift knock on the passenger window woke me up. I rubbed my eyes, my vision was still blurry. I slid down the window, only to see her face grinning madly.
 
"Where are we?" I stifled a yawn, looking to the right and left.
 
"Can't you hear it? Listen carefully."
 
Jessica placed her palm on her ear while I stared blankly at her.
 
"It's a beach." I finally understood what she meant. "Why are we here?"
 
"Come with me, I'll show you around."
 
Jessica offered her hand, which I welcomed with eager at the slightest. We linked our hands and she led the way down the beach. As much as I wanted to deny, my cheeks felt like burning. We must've looked so romantic. I'm curious if Jessica felt the same way. She seemed to play it cool.
 
I'm still pretty flustered at how things turned out. Why she became so friendly and jubilant, unlike the same Jessica I saw the other day. However, I started to like it. Maybe Jessica got hit in her sleep last night or her brain just had some sort of short-circuited accident so she lost her memory. Well, I don't care, as long as she treated me well.
 
 
"Look! So many seashells!" Jessica shouted as soon as she saw them seashells scattered all over the sands.
 
"Jessica, I'm sorry if I interrupt you.. but what's your intention? For bringing me here?" I queried. I saw her already picking up a lone shell near her bare foot while crouching down. She looked up to me and retreated her hand. Her other hand.. well, our hands were still intertwined, fyi.
 
"I used to go here when I was little." She put on her genuine smile. "I'm the happiest when I go to the beach."
 
I was, for the umpteenth time today, baffled. She locked her eyes on mine. Her dark brown eyes glistened in a way I had never seen before. I could see her sincerity through her eyes.
 
"I'm sorry you must be very, very confused. I'm also confused of myself. The way I approach people in order to get close to them is weird, I know. People around me often says I have two different personalities." 
 
'Yeah, right.’ I said inwardly, wanting to roll my eyes so badly.
 
Jessica sat on the serene white sands, hugging her feet. "I just want us to bond, to know each other better."
 
I watched her in awe. I never thought she would be open like this. I joined her on the ground, on an empty space next to her.
 
"I'm glad."
 
Jessica shot a glare at me and frowned. "That's the only thing you want to say?"
 
"No, really. I'm glad I choose to spend this enjoyable evening with you." I returned her a radiant smile, only to see her cackle.
 
"Did I mention that you have a very pretty eyesmile?"
 
Ok, now Jessica you really caught me off guard. What was that supposed to mean?
 
"Is that a compliment?" I stammered.
 
"Of course. Your eyes spell 'beautiful' correctly, don't you know that?"
 
Keep 'em coming, Jess. I might exaggerate things but you really knew how to make me dead.
 
"That's why I saved your number as 'Tiffany ^.^' on my phone." I saw her giggled. OK, can I squish you now?
 
 
Something suddenly struck my mind. "Speaking of your phone, who is that person?" I casted my eyes on her. Her expression changed quickly.
 
"I don't really want to talk about it now." The smile on her face disappeared. Her face grew darker.
 
We fell into silence for a quite long time. She avoided my gaze when I tried to look, to check if she was fine. She was being so mysterious. The second she was all enthusiastic, the second she was gloomy. I didn't understand; she was too unpredictable. It made me skeptical about her, especially her constant mood swing.
 
The cool breeze blew from the side, I shivered and hugged my arms. It was getting late, now the sky was a broken shades of orange and yellow. I turned to look at Jessica, who was now trying to get up. She stumbled back a little but remain her composure when I pulled her sleeve so suddenly.
 
"Thank you." I uttered lowly, head lowered.
 
She looked down on me with an expression I couldn't tell. With every second passing, she leaned closer and closer. I wouldn't fall for another trick, I knew she wouldn't kiss me. I fixated my gaze on her, unwavering. For God knows how long we had our eyes staring at each other. My body tensed up on the close proximity our body shared. Not until a single droplet fell on the tip of my nose. I cursed inwardly as she immediately broke our staring contest. She looked up to the sky and spread her hands.
 
"It's raining." She put off her jacket and held it above my head. "Hurry, get in the car!"
 
She tried to shield me with her jacket but it was too late, the sudden downpour of heavy rain successfully drenched us.
 
 
*
 
 
I tossed my body onto the bed after washing up and changing into new set of clothes. My thought wandered aimlessly. I've never felt like this for a long time. It was a mix of angry, relieved, curious, and afraid. I'm angry because I couldn't comprehend her, but in some way or another I felt relieved. Relieved because I had her by my side. I'm curious of her, yet I'm afraid. Afraid of finding out her true self.
 
I let out an involuntarily sigh.
 
"Jessica."
 
"What?"
 
 
 
TO BE CONTINUED