Nine - Run and Gone

Baby, Don't Cry

 

He never wanted it to end.

Jongin thought he'd die of happiness as he slid his lips again and again against Kyungsoo's. He was still surprised that Kyungsoo was letting him do it and even more so that the older guy was kissing him back.

Five years. He can't believe he waited five years. If he had known that this is how it felt like to have Kyungsoo in his arms he would've done this a long time ago. He lifted his hand to touch Kyungsoo's cheek. I love you, he thought.

But suddenly Kyungsoo pulled away, shock etched plainly on his face. "No."

Kyungsoo quickly scrambled to his feet and left Jongin feeling empty. Jongin wanted to run after him but he heard Kyungsoo's door slam shut even before he was able to stand fully. Jongin slumped back at the sofa wondering what went wrong.

In his mind he saw the confusion and fright in Kyungsoo's eyes before the older boy ran. I didn't really turn into a frog, did I?

He touched his face just to make sure. Why did you run? Why are you so scared?

Jongin wanted answers and he's not gonna stop until he has them. They've got something wonderful here and Jongin won't let Kyungsoo throw it away. He's sure Kyungsoo feels something for him, too. He wouldn't kiss him back if he didn't.

He stood up to go to his room. It was late and he needs rest to clear his mind so he'll know what to do next. He slowed down and stopped when he passed by Kyungsoo's room.

"Goodnight, princess." He whispered and went on his way.

 

 

 

 

Jongin woke up eager to start the day. He wanted to talk to Kyungsoo about what happened last night. He left his room and went to the kitchen, hoping to catch the older boy cooking breakfast. But the food was already in the table when he got there along with a note that said: EAT.

Jongin turned the paper over but there was nothing else on it. How romantic.

He was disappointed that he didn't get to speak with Kyungsoo. Or that he didn't get to kiss him good morning. Or that he didn't get to hold hands with him on the way to school. He knew he was getting way over himself but a boy can dream, right?

The only thing that can dampen his thoughts was the memory of Kyungsoo's eyes last night. But Jongin believes he can overcome whatever fear Kyungsoo has. He has to.

 

 

Jongin never realized how hard it was to find a person who didn't want to be found. He sighed with frustration as he scoured the school grounds again looking for Kyungsoo. He wasn't answering his messages and his calls all go to voicemail. Where did that little boy disappear to?

Better just wait for him at home, Jongin thought. He walked towards the dance department to get his things so he can go. He was still looking around him as he walked, in the off chance that he'll see Kyungsoo, when he was pleasantly surprised to see the short guy from afar, standing by the dance department's entrance. He let out a short laugh. There he was tiring himself looking for him when there wasn't even a need!

He felt his heart swell at the thought that Kyungsoo was waiting for him. He quickened his steps to reach Kyungsoo but he was suddenly stopped in his tracks by the sight of that ahjussi suddenly appearing and hugging Kyungsoo from behind.

To his credit, Kyungsoo did appear surprised but he was all smiles as he recognized who hugged him. The Joonmyeon guy let go of Kyungsoo but proceeded to hold both his hands while skipping excitedly. This is war.

 

 

Kyungsoo had been dodging Jongin all day. He knows he wants to talk to him about that. After 27 messages and 12 voicemails, it’s safe to say that he really wanted to talk. But how could Kyungsoo face him after that?

He spent all night tossing and turning on the bed. He couldn't believe Jongin kissed him and that he kissed him back. It was not even just one kiss. He didn't know when one kiss ended and when another began. He was so into the moment that he didn't really care. He felt himself floating as their lips touched and melded and right now, he's making himself blush.

Kyungsoo touched his burning cheeks. It was not right to think about a kiss in the middle of the school. It was not right to think about the kiss. Period. He's got more important matters to think of like his song and how to magically let Jongin forget about things. Yeah, like I can.

But the world might be against him because now he finds himself in front of the place where Jongin will surely, absolutely find him: The Dance department. He met with Joonmyeon-hyung near the school gates so they can work on his song but then he was dragged back into the school cause hyung had something important to do first. Of course he can't say no, not with Joonmyeon smiling excitedly at him. He was surprised to see where they were going and his feet felt like lead. He told his hyung to go inside and he'll just wait by the entrance. He was nervous cause he was sure that Jongin will appear any minute now and then... he wasn't sure what.

"Kyungsoo-ah!" Joonmyeon called as he hugged the younger boy from behind.

"Oh, hyung. What happened?" Kyungsoo felt a little surprised at how Joonmyeon was acting.

Joonmyeon let him go, stood in front of him and held both his hands. He looked so happy, Kyungsoo had to smile.

"I'm going on a date!" The older guy said.

"On a date? With who?"

"With Yixing." Joonmyeon blushed a little.

"With Yixing? Uh, didn't you just meet him yesterday?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Well, yes. He called me last night. It was really late, too. He told me he wanted to see me and he wanted to go out with me. Of course I said no. I barely know him. But then I wasn't able to sleep thinking about... him. So I decided to take a chance." Joonmyeon said with a shrug.

"And you went here to tell him you changed your mind." Kyungsoo said with knowing look.

"Yes. And I don't regret it! And so there. I'm sorry I can't help you with your song today. I'm going on a date." Joonmyeon laughed shyly and Kyungsoo couldn't help but laugh with him. Who knew his serious hyung would giggle over a boy?

"I really like-"

"Excuse me, you're blocking the way."

Kyungsoo whipped his head to look at Jongin who was standing directly to his right. He didn't even know when the younger boy arrived.

"Jongin-ssi!" Joonmyeon greeted, oblivious to Jongin's scowl and the tension between him and Kyungsoo.

Jongin just nodded and Kyungsoo saw him look at his and Joonmyeon's held hands. He quickly dropped his hyung's hands. He didn't know why but Jongin's look made it imperative to do so.

It was awkward how nobody had anything to say. Kyungsoo tried to open his mouth several times but nothing came out. He looked at Jongin but the boy made no move to leave considering he told them that they were blocking his way.

"I'm good to go!" All three pair of eyes looked as Yixing approached them. Kyungsoo felt relieved with the interruption.

"Hi, Kyungsoo-ssi. I'm glad Jongin finally found you. He was into hysterics all day looking for you."

"I don't do hysterics..." Jongin muttered.

"Yeah? The way you walk around with your phone glued to your hand and your ear all day and-"

"Shut up, man." Jongin said with a rather hard pat on Yixing's back. Yixing winced.

"Alright, alright. Ready to go?" Yixing turned and smiled at Joonmyeon.

"Yeah." The older boy answered.

"We're off then. See you guys!" Yixing waved goodbye and held on to one of Joonmyeon's hand. Kyungsoo saw his hyung redden but didn't make any move to retrieve his hand.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Kyungsoo-ah. I promise to work double time so we can finish soon." Joomyeon said with a wave goodbye.

"Don't worry, hyung." Kyungsoo smiled and watched the two go. Still aware of Jongin's presence beside him, Kyungsoo looked to see the taller boy's mouth hanging open.

Jongin turned to him. "Did I just-?"

"Yes."

"Were they-?"

"Yes."

"Are they  going-?"

"Yes, Jongin-ah. Yes." Kyungsoo said amused at Jongin's expression, momentarily forgetting that they were supposed to be awkward.

"Well, that's weird." Jongin said still not quite believing what he saw. But then he returned his gaze to Kyungsoo. "Hey-"

"I've got to go now. I've got tons to do." Kyungsoos finally realized that they were alone. He started to walk away but Jongin held on to his arm.

"Princess, why are you running?"

"I'm not."

Jongin raised an eyebrow clearly not believing him.

"I just got things piled up-"

"Wait here for a sec, I'll just get my stuff inside. Let's walk home together." Jongin said.

Kyungsoo wanted to say no but what excuse does he have? "Okay."

It was no more than a minute when Jongin returned to his side.

"Let's go, your highness. I would've sent for the royal carriage but the horses were tired."

Normally, he would've answered Jongin with a set down but he was too nervous to think of any.

"About last night-" Jongin started.

"Guys!" They both turned to look as Sehun ran to catch up with them. "I'm glad I saw you two!"

Kyungsoo never loved Sehun as much as he loved him at that moment.

"I'm glad, too. Real glad." Jongin said looking anything but.

"What is it?" Kyungsoo asked Sehun as the boy caught up with them.

"Do we really need to ask that?" Jongin rolled his eyes.

"Can I come with you?" Sehun asked.

"No." Jongin said.

"Yes." Kyungsoo glared at Jongin and took Sehun's arm as they walked. "Don't worry too much. Tell me all about it."

Kyungsoo can feel Jongin's eyes bore on his and Sehun's back all the way to the dorm.