Fourteen - "I Love You, Frog."

Baby, Don't Cry

 

 

He placed the bouquet of flowers against the marble tombstone shared by his parents.

Kyungsoo felt more melancholy than usual when visiting his parent's grave. This is the first time in five years that Jongin wasn't with him.

He remembered the first anniversary of his mother's death. He dressed formally, checking his necktie a hundred times before leaving the house. It was the first time he'll visit them and he wanted to look his best for his eomma and appa. He hadn't had the courage to go before because it was just too painful. Just before going out, he heard a knock on the door. He was surprised to be sure to find Jongin as formally dressed as him and telling him that he'll come with Kyungsoo. He didn't know why Jongin wanted to, they weren't the best of friends and he said as much to the boy but he just shrugged him off.

When they got there he wanted to break down but Jongin's standing behind him stopped him from crying. At first he thought it was because he doesn't want to embarrass himself but later on he realized Jongin's presence somehow comforted him. Without being told to, the younger boy went with him every year after that.

He looked bleakly at the flowers realizing how he lost everything because he was too much of a coward.

"Eomma, you're probably wondering why I'm alone, aren't you? How did you ever raise a son like me? You were so strong carrying on through the years without appa and here I am too weak for my own good."

"I've been so blind, Eomma. I didn't want to be alone but I was the one pushing everybody away." Kyungsoo paused to wipe his eyes. "But Jongin, he was the only one who pushed back and didn't give up on me. He pushed until I didn't want to push back anymore. He was different. He was special. I thought I was ready to let him in but at the first sign of trouble I put up the walls again."

"But eomma, I want to be with him again. I really don't want to be alone anymore. He makes me happy and I want to make him happy. You don't know him too well but you'll actually like him. He loves your kimchi spaghetti recipe and he says...  he say he loves me, too. And that's amazing, right?" Kyungsoo's shoulders droop. "I just don't know how to get him back."

"You start by promising him to cook kimchi spaghetti every day." Kyungsoo turned around and saw Jongin a few steps away, holding a small basket of flowers. Jongin went closer and placed the arrangement beside Kyungsoo's. He bowed before the tombstone and then looked at Kyungsoo. "And then you tell him I'm yours, Jongin. Or something as cheesy and sappy as that."

Kyungsoo can see Jongin was joking but he can also see wariness in his eyes. He knew he didn't deserve this and the boy was making it really easy for him. He was here and he remembered to come with flowers. Even though they were in a fight, he still came.

"I promise to cook kimchi spaghetti every other day. Every day is just too much." Kyungsoo said. His eyes were starting to cloud again and he wants to finish this before he bawls like a child. "And... You're mine, Jongin."

"Good enough for me." Then Jongin said with a laugh and gathered him into his arms. It was nice to rest his head against the taller boy's shoulder again. He put his arms around Jongin's waist and held on tight.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-" Kyungsoo started to explain.

"Shhh. I don't need you to be sorry. I just want you to be happy from now on. With me." Jongin leaned down and kissed his cheek. "Let's go home."

 

 

 

 

They couldn't keep their hands off each other.

So now they lay tangled in the sofa not two minutes after crossing the door. Jongin was thinking maybe they should fight once in a while if Kyungsoo will be this uh, passionate when they make up.

He really missed him. It was six instant-noodle-days and six kyungsoo-less nights. He wanted to make things right between them sooner but he wanted Kyungsoo to come to him this time. Just to be sure that it's real. He almost forgot about Kyungsoo's parent’s death anniversary, wallowing in self pity as he was. But he knew he couldn't skip it even if he was not in good terms with the older boy. It was a tradition for him every year: Paying respects to Kyungsoo's parents and thanking them for having Kyungsoo in his life.

He didn't expect to still find him there since he already came late. He also didn't mean to overhear parts of what Kyungsoo had to say but he was glad he did. He actually wanted to throw the flowers in the air and maybe jump up and down but it was not the right place and he wanted to look cool for once.

He broke off the kiss, feeling that he was forgetting something which is not really impossible since he forgets everything every time they kiss. He gets distracted still when Kyungsoo started nuzzling his neck which he didn't know was all that sensitive until his boyfriend trailed kisses against it.

"Princess-" Jongin started because he really felt he had to do something. But God, he didn't want to stop.

"Hmm?" Kyungsoo was still nuzzling him.

"Stop. I mean, yeah. Stop for a while."

"Why?" Kyungsoo asked his lips against Jongin's ear.

Jongin shook his head to clear it a little. What was it he was going to say? "Yeah, before we continue, I have to do something." Jongin straightened and disentangled Kyungsoo's arm from around his neck. Kyungsoo threw him a puzzled look saying you have something more important to do than this?

"Wait here. I'm gonna get it." It was hard to walk in with shaky legs but Jongin managed to get to his bag and take out the small voice recorder that Joonmyeon handed him the other day. The ahjussi said that Kyungsoo left it the day they finished the song, the day they fought. Snoopy as he was he listened to it hoping to hear Kyungsoo's voice which he missed. He pushed play then came out one of the most beautiful songs in the world sang by the most beautiful voice he ever heard.

"Your Joonmyeon-ahjussi gave me this the other day." Jongin said showing the recorder to Kyungsoo. "Here."

Kyungsoo reached out for it. "I thought I lost it. I had a spare though but it's great to have this back."

"I'm sorry but I listened to what's recorded in it."

"You did?"

"Yes and I can't understand why you won't sing in public. You really are great." Jongin sat at the coffee table facing Kyungsoo who was still sitting on the sofa and held both his hands. "You have a gift. It's wasted on merely composing. Sing."

"But... I don't know if I can anymore." Kyungsoo said hesitantly.

"You can. For what it's worth, I'll always be here to listen to you. Every day. Every time."

Jongin can see Kyungsoo wavering as he looked at their linked hands. "Was it really that great?"

"Yeah. When I listened to the song, I wanted to cry. It was perfect. It was everything I felt for you put into words and notes."

"Will you sing it for me?"

"I love you and I care for your welfare, so no." Jongin said deadpanned. Kyungsoo laughed. Jongin smiled. It was good hearing him laugh again.

"I thought you wanted me to sing? That will be my condition then. Sing to me first and I'll sing for you whenever you want." The younger boy saw the teasing glint in Kyungsoo's eyes.

"Your highness, why must we go through this? Haven't I proved my feelings for you enough?"

"Just prove it one last time."

"I'm just afraid you know? What if you leave me?"

"Jongin-ah, just this once? I actually wrote the song based on what you told me back then. You're exactly right. It is your words. I just want to hear it directly from you." Kyungsoo cupped Jongin's cheek.

"Now, how can I possibly say no to that?"

"You can't." Kyungsoo said smugly.

"Fine. Cover your ears." Jongin warned. He was sweating and nervous not because he didn't know the words, he actually had the song memorized from listening to it again and again. He was nervous because he was laying his heart again for Kyungsoo and he was vulnerable. He didn't think he can recover as quickly if Kyungsoo will reject him for the third time.

 

Baby don’t cry, tonight


eodumi geodhigo namyeon

After the darkness has lifted


Baby don’t cry, tonight


eobseotdeon il-i dwell geoya

Itll be like nothing ever happened

 

moolgeo-poom-i dueneun geoseun niga aniya,

You will never become a bubble,


ggeutnae molla ya hae deon

In the end you dont have to know

 

So baby don’t cry, cry


nae sarangi neol jikilteni

For my love will protect you.

 

 

Jongin sang the words, feeling them from his heart. He saw Kyungsoo close his eyes as he was listening. After the song, he waited anxiously as Kyungsoo finally looked at him and spoke.

"You murdered my song. You were more out of tune than a deaf frog." Kyungsoo joked but Jongin saw there were tears on his eyes. "But I can feel every word you said was true. It was horrible but you are great. You get zero for musicality but 100 for effort. So congratulations, you pass." Kyungsoo pulled him into his arms.

Then they were kissing again. Their lips melding deeper. And Jongin could've expired right there and then when Kyungsoo broke the kiss and said, "Let's be together."

"But we're already together." Jongin said slowly, sure that he heard Kyungsoo wrong.

"No. I meant let's be together. Tonight." Kyungsoo whispered.

Jongin answered him with a kiss as he pulled Kyungsoo up from the sofa.

Much later, Jongin scooted Kyungsoo closer to him as they lay in his bed. He was hugging the shorter guy from behind and he couldn't be happier. It was the perfect position to whisper to the sleeping Kyungsoo's ear. "I love you, princess."

He was drifting off to sleep when he heard Kyungsoo say for the first time, "I love you, frog."

He was wrong. He found out he could be happier.