ONE- Where It All Began

Baby, Don't Cry

Jongin followed the guy walking several paces ahead of him. The school corridor was full of students hurrying towards the exits, excited to be free for the day. But he paid no mind to them. His gaze was intent on the lone figure as he traced the steps of the corridors, his destination the isolated music room hidden in the back of the school building.

The young guy wore a dark blue cap on his head and a stuffed backpack was slung on his right shoulder. Jongin watched as the guy turned left and disappeared through a door. He smiled to himself. Finally, they'll be alone.

Jongin entered the dark room and called out. "Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo turned around and smiled. Jongin snatched him, backed him against the door and leaned close. "I've waited all day."

"For what?" Kyungsoo whispered.

"For this." Jongin moved to place his lips against Kyungsoo's. He was getting closer and closer when the lights and he found himself kissing air.

"What are you doing here?" Kyungsoo asked from halfway across the room.

Jongin felt a pang of disappointment as Kyungsoo's voice broke his dream. And shucks, it was a good one, too.

"I said what are you doing here?" Kyungsoo repeated as he walked towards the old piano in the far corner of the room. "Didn't I just leave you with Sehun and Chanyeol?"

"You leave me with those crazy people and ask me why I left them?"

"I thought you were in good company. Being crazy yourself and all." Kyungsoo shrugged.

"Excuse me, they are a different kind of crazy. I'm the more conventional type." Jongin defended himself.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "And I ask myself why I bother to talk to you."

"Ha, so you admit. You can't resist me." Jongin said with a smirk.

"Go away." Kyungsoo told Jongin. Jongin ignored him and just watched as Kyungsoo reached the piano and promptly disappeared behind it, his blue cap the only thing visible from Jongin's position. He heard Kyungsoo take out some music sheets and proceeded to play. Soft music filled the room and Jongin felt transported back in time when he first saw that blue cap casting a shadow over the saddest pair of eyes he had ever seen.




5 years ago...


His arm hurt like the devil. Not only that it itches like hell, too. His father would probably cuff his head if he hears him saying those "bad" words but right now, sitting miserably at the hospital's waiting lounge, he doesn't care. The cast in his arm was so heavy and so uncomfortable Jongin wanted to cry. He probably would have cried by then if not for the girl sitting across from him, staring at his cast while making those irritating noises on her lollipop.

"It's your fault you know. I told you to go left." Jongin's sister said as she pointed at him with her candy. "The problem is you don't listen."

"I went left!" Jongin said annoyed.

"Come on, we've been brothers and sisters for 14 years, you should know by now that when I say left, I mean your other left!"

"You're right. For 14 years! You should get your directions straight!"

"You're being grouchy."

"I'm being grouchy? Tell me why is that? Here I am, my arm in a cast and my knee bruised while you sit there unharmed. Why would I be grouchy?"

"Hmmp! No one forced you to dance with me." His sister stood up. "Tell dad I'll just wait by the car. I don't wanna talk with cry babies."

Jongin shot his sister an evil eye as she walked away from him. "Worst kind of sisters are those with two left feet!"

Jongin slumped back in his chair, waiting for his father to finish talking with the doctor so they can come home. Jongin thought that he would have to skip atleast four dance classes because of his injury. No one warned him that older sisters can be so damned heavy. He indulged in self pity some more.

"What's taking so long?" Jongin impatiently stood up. His father was probably quizzing the doctor about his injury and was running the old man ragged. Not that he minded his father's concern but really, this was just a stupid arm fracture.

He decided to walk around instead. No one was really minding him. Nurses and doctors running to and fro. Wailing children, worried parents here and there.

Jongin came upon a quiet corridor. Peace at last. He walked forward and entertained himself reading the names outside the doors. A few minutes more, nearing the end of the row of rooms, he heard someone whimpering. He was not sure, the sound was barely distinguishable. He walked further and saw a door to his left, ajar. He looked at the name plate on the door but the slot was empty.

Curious, Jongin quietly peeked inside and saw a boy, probably the same age as him, hunched over an empty hospital bed. He was wearing a plain, dark blue cap and the same school uniform as him. He noticed that the boy's shoulders were trembling in time with the sound of his sobbing.

"Eomma, didn't you love me enough? Why did you leave me?" The boy cried. "It's too soon. Too soon."

Jongin felt like an intruder. He knew he wasn't supposed to be there watching somebody else's despair but he couldn't look away. Maybe he could do something to make the boy feel better. No one should be this sad.

"What would I do with the song you left me? How would I finish it without you? Didn't you say we were gonna sing it together? I know appa's waiting for you in heaven for so long now but he could still wait for a little more, right?"

"I swear I'll not murder your rose garden anymore. I'll do all the cooking,the washing, the cleaning and all the chores you can come up with and you can even invent some more. I promise I'll be the best son in the world. Please." The boy was racked with harsh sobs. "I'm so alone. I'm really scared, Eomma. Please come back, even for just a minute, come back."

Jongin let out a small sob of his own. The boy looked up at the sound. Jongin quickly retreated and hid behind the door but not before he saw a huge pair of eyes drowned in tears. He slowly walked away from the room and went to find his father. He felt he needed a hug.

"There you are! Where were you? Where's your sister?" Jongin's father asked as he reached the hospital lobby.

He walked straight to his father and hugged him. "I love you, Appa."

"Jongin, you're not going to die because of a broken arm. What are you saying?" His father said, confused.

"Nothing. Let's just go home." Jongin said quietly. He was eager to get away from there. They passed through wailing children and worried parents again. But nothing could erase those sad pair of eyes from his memory.

So much pain in one place.



One week after, Jongin was going crazy.