Eleven - Trial and Error

Baby, Don't Cry

 

 

Just a few more minutes.

Jongin paced outside Kyungsoo's room. To say he was excited was probably an understatement. He woke up especially early for this. Earlier even than Kyungsoo and that never happens.

He was already dressing for school when he heard Kyungsoo go to the bathroom. He came out just in time to see the older boy disappear into his room to dress. He stood guard outside Kyungsoo's door and has been pacing there since then.

Finally, Jongin thought as he heard the door open. He turned to see Kyungsoo standing by the doorway looking a little surprised. He was wearing the same old clothes-checkered shirt on top of a white tee and jeans- but somehow he looked different to Jongin. He looked kinda special. Jongin went to stand in front of Kyungsoo.

"Uh, you're creeping me out." The older boy said with rounded eyes.

"Good morning, princess." Jongin leaned down to kiss him on a cheek. He saw Kyungsoo's face redden. That was why he woke up early, just for this.

"Seriously creeping me out." Kyungsoo said but with a small smile this time.

"Let's have breakfast." Jongin patted the shorter boy's head. Kyungsoo shot him a disbelieving look.

"You cooked breakfast?"

"No. Why would you think that?"

"You just said-"

"Let's. Have. Breakfast. I didn't say anything about cooking. And seriously, would you want me to cook for you?" Jongin asked with a smirk.

"I'd rather kill me myself than let your food do me in."

"Exactly."

"For a second there I thought..." Kyungsoo trailed off.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Tsk tsk, princess, every relationship needs honesty to survive."

"Well, I thought that if you did cook, I would really have to eat it."

Jongin froze, shocked at what Kyungsoo said. "You'd do that?"

"It wasn't a nice thought, but yes, I would've. You asked me to try, right?" Kyungsoo said, smiling.

Jongin couldn't believe what he was hearing. Kyungsoo saying he would eat food that Jongin prepared was equal to accepting major commitment. To him, it was up there with declarations of love and forever. He didn't know what to say.

Jongin walked dazedly towards the kitchen but Kyungsoo stayed him with a hand on his arm.

"Jongin-ah? Good morning to you, too." Kyungsoo raised on his tiptoes to kiss him on the cheek. The smaller guy then proceeded on his way to the kitchen leaving Jongin shocked for the second time in two minutes.

 

 

"So how is it?" Jongin asked Kyungsoo. They were at the cafeteria sitting opposite each other, having lunch. He'll probably be late for his next class as this place was far from his department, but hey, one hour with Kyungsoo was worth it.

"The food?" Kyungsoo looked up from his plate.

"No. Being with me. I mean being together." Jongin asked leaning on the table.

Kyungsoo looked at his watch and said, "We've just been going out for technically thirteen hours, around six of which we were asleep. Don't you think it's kind of early to ask me that?"

"Princess-" He started to say but he saw Kyungsoo's attention was caught by something behind him. And he has a feeling what, or should he say who, it was.

"Jongin-ah! Kyungsoo-hyung!" Sehun greeted happily. Attached to his side was a smiling, albeit a little embarrassed, Luhan.

"Hey, guys." The pretty boy said.

Jongin and Kyungsoo looked pointedly at the couple's linked hands.

"Well, yes. It's official. Luhan and Me. Me and Luhan." Sehun smiled down at his boyfriend.

Jongin rolled his eyes at the picture the two was making. Only thing you needed were heart shaped bubbles around them and you've got yourself a valentine's card.

 

 

"I'm glad." Kyungsoo said with a smile.

"Thanks, Kyungsoo." Luhan said as he sat beside him. "I missed hanging around with you."

"I'm sorry about last time. I was just concerned about Sehun." Kyungsoo squeezed Luhan's hand.

"I know and I'm happy that you are. He's such a baby sometimes." Luhan said throwing an affectionate look at Sehun who having some sort of secret man to man talk with Jongin. "But can I ask? Since you're here with Jongin, are you..?"

Kyungsoo reddened but nodded.

"Ha! That's great! Since when?"

"Um, last night."

"Really? That was some lucky night then."

Kyungsoo didn't know what else to say. He feels a little uncomfortable discussing their relationship since it's still new and strange to him.

Luhan understanding Kyungsoo's silence leaned close to him and whispered. "What do you think they're talking about?"

"From the rabid look on their eyes, I say it's food. With them, it's always food."

 

 

It was food, but not quite.

"You're together." Sehun whispered to Jongin. “Admit it. You're going out with Kyungsoo-hyung."

"What? Why'd you think that?" Jongin asked just as quietly. He wanted to laugh at the younger guy. He's not sure why Sehun was whispering though. It wasn't as if he was hiding that they were dating.

"Man, only true love will make you go to lunch here. This cafeteria's almost 15 mins away from our department." Sehun said matter of factly. "And you're still here talking with me when we both know doing so will make us both late for next class."

"Then why are you still here?"

"Dumb question, man." Sehun said. "So?"

"Maybe, I just went here for this burger." Jongin said with a shrug. Sehun snorted.

"As much as I know how food makes our world go round, you wouldn't be here for that. There's a perfectly close cafeteria by our building serving the same greasy glob of goodness."

"Okay, I'm caught. Kyungsoo asked me, begged me even, to go out with him and I said yes." Jongin said with a confident smirk.

"And in what alternate universe did he do it?" Another snort from the maknae. Sehun straightened in his seat and addressed Kyungsoo. "Hey, hyung. Jongin said that-"

But Jongin clamped his hand over Sehun's mouth before he can continue.

"Jongin said what?" Kyungsoo asked looking at them as if they were demented.

"Nothing, I said food here ."

Kyungsoo raised a brow and turned to speak to Luhan. "I told you it was food."

Luhan laughed. He patted Sehun's hand and proceeded to hold it, their fingers entwined across the table. Jongin was distracted by the sight and completely forgot that he still has his hand over Sehun's mouth.

"Maybe you can let go of Sehun now." Kyungsoo said.

Jongin let go and Sehun proceeded to lean closer to Luhan. He and Kyungsoo watched as the two became lost in their own world staring at each other’s eyes and holding hands. Jongin didn't want to look as lovesick as Sehun does but maybe it does feel nice to do that. He turned his gaze to Kyungsoo's hand on the table. It was small, the nails were short and it looks like it will fit nicely in his.

As if in its own accord, his right hand started reaching out slowly for Kyungsoo's. His gaze was intent on the hand resting near the older boy's plate. But when the tips of his fingers touched Kyungsoo's hand the said hand retreated. Jongin looked up to find Kyungsoo looking at him questioningly, looking a little flustered.

Jongin went on to grab Kyungsoo's fork to excuse his wandering hand and proceeded to get food from the plate with it. He quickly shoves the food in his mouth to hide whatever embarrassment he's feeling with his failed attempt at holding hands. Predictably, he choked on the meat. Good thing Kyungsoo gave him his drink.

"I thought the food here ." Kyungsoo said.

"Uh, I thought yours was better." Jongin said with a shrug, his eyes watering from coughing.

"I understand but there's no need to kill yourself for it." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at him. Then he leaned across the table and surprised Jongin with wiping the excess water clinging from the corner of his lips with his thumb. Surprising still was when the said thumb drifted towards his lower lip as if in a caress. Jongin was hypnotized by the way Kyungsoo was looking at his mouth and by the feel of Kyungsoo's touch. Now if he would only come closer...

"You sure are slow, man."

The spell was broken by Sehun's remark. He looked to see Sehun and Luhan watching them from their side of the table. Kyungsoo blushed and looked away. Jongin scowled at the little pest.

"Luhan, in consideration of our friendship, I'm giving you five seconds to get him out of here." Jongin threatened.

"Oh, yeah? What are you gonna do? Stare me to death? If I was Kyungsoo-hyung I would've fallen asleep waiting for you to make your move." Sehun said with a shake of his head.

"Four, three...”

"Pfft. Luhan, let's show him how it's done." Sehun promptly cupped Luhan's face and placed a soft kiss on the startled boy’s lips. When it ended, he ce again to Jongin and said, "Spontaneity, man, that's the key to- Ouch!"

Sehun rubbed his nose after Luhan flicked it quite hard.

"Sorry, Jongin. As much as I want you to let him have it, he's important to me." He then stood up, took Sehun's arm to drag him away. "See you later guys."

Jongin watched as Sehun slipped his arm around Luhan's waist as they walked. Luhan for all his supposed exasperation with Sehun leaned to the younger boy and placed his head on his boyfriend's shoulder. He was not sure if he'll be appalled or jealous of the public display. He returned his gaze to Kyungsoo.

"Jongin are you finished? I have to go for my next class now." The short boy said, not quite meeting his eyes.

"Yeah. Let's go."

They went outside and Jongin felt the awkwardness between them. He wants to break it before he leaves for class.

"Don't mind Sehun too much, princess."

"I think that should be my line."

"You're gonna call me princess, too?"

"No. I was actually going to tell you to don't mind him." Then a teasing glint entered Kyungsoo's eyes. "You can take your time. I promise I won't fall asleep."

"Are you saying I'm slow?" Jongin asked incredulously.

Kyungsoo just smiled another teasing smile and left him sputtering.

 

 

He knew he shouldn't have joked about Jongin being slow. He knew that his boyfriend was just being considerate of his feelings. But sometimes when Jongin looks at him a certain way, like earlier in the cafeteria, Kyungsoo wishes he'll make a move faster.

Then why don't you make a move yourself? He asked himself. But it's kind of different if he's the one getting closer. There's just so much to lose. He knows he's got to do it. It's unfair for Jongin if he does all the giving in this relationship of theirs, but it's too soon. He'll do it someday not just right now.

This morning, he didn't know what to expect but he knew he'd never been happier when he saw Jongin outside his room, smiling that y smile of his. Knowing that he was waiting for him made him want to be soft and romantic and all the stuff that comes with falling in love but he settled for that small kiss on the cheek instead. Because wanting and being are two different things and he needs time to cross from one to the other.

It's crazy though how he can't stop thinking about Jongin all day today. He was in school to study, not to think about how the younger boy can make him feel like a... bubble, for a lack of a better word. He feels so light that he's floating but he feels as fragile, too as if one touch can break him.

Is this really what it's all about then? The thought is really scary.

Kyungsoo pulled his blue cap lower on his head because it makes him feel safer, blocking out the rest of the world as the cap's shadow hides his face.

He entered the piano room determined to at least get some work done today. He has to finish the song in two weeks and ready to be sung three weeks after on the graduation performance. He was just about to turn on the lights when he heard someone enter the room behind him.

"Kyungsoo."

Suddenly he was grabbed from behind and was turned so he was facing Jongin who pushed him until his back was against the wall.

"I've waited all day for this." He whispered. He took off the blue cap off from Kyungsoo's head and leaned close.

"For what?"

"For this." Jongin moved to close what little distance is between them. Kyungsoo couldn't help it, he giggled.

Jongin's lips paused in their descent and Kyungsoo saw it purse. Jongin then went on to lean his head against the wall right next to the shorter boy's head.

"You know princess, when I imagined this, that wasn't exactly how I thought you'd react."

"I'm sorry." Kyungsoo giggled some more. "It's just, it's just so..."

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Stop laughing already." Jongin said grudgingly.

Kyungsoo feeling guilty about laughing at him shifted his head a little so he can kiss him on the cheek. "For what it's worth, I appreciated the gesture. It was so... cave-man like."

He wanted to laugh again, really, but Jongin chose that moment to place his lips against Kyungsoo's neck and whined. "You told me I was slow."

His breath hitched as he felt Jongin's lips move against him. Well, he was certainly fast now.

Jongin placed small kisses against his neck, jaw and all the way to his ear where he whispered. "You're not changing your mind about us are you? I know it's just been a day but..."

Kyungsoo wanted to melt as his non-friend-turned-boyfriend held him closer. "No. I haven't"

"Good." Jongin's lips were nearing his own. "I'm not just imagining this, right?"

"Uh, considering I can feel the light switch digging at my back, I can safely say yes, this is real." Kyungsoo joked trying to cover his nervousness. He was not afraid of Jongin, he was more afraid of himself cause he felt his heart give another piece of itself to the younger boy.

Jongin laughed and shifted Kyungsoo so his back was still against the wall sans the light switch. "Better now?"

"Yeah." Kyungsoo was waiting for Jongin to continue what he was doing but the taller guy just stared at him making him conscious again. "Uh, any minute now-"

"Your highness, sometimes I feel you just want me for my body."

"Shut up." Kyungsoo surprised both of them by pulling Jongin close and fitting their lips together. He was thinking that it was the only way to stop Jongin from talking too much and it's actually a humanitarian mission cause one day he'll get shot from the things that come out from his mouth. He was also thinking he really didn't have time for this kind of dalliance as he has lots to do. But as their kisses ran deeper, longer and sweeter he stopped thinking at all.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I was planning on posting 2 chapters right now and the remaining two plus the epilogue this midnight..

BUT... after reading the supposed chapter 12... I knew I have to rewrite it again.. so sorry to keep you waiting.. :(

i will upload it as soon as the story works itself out..