TWO - The Start of A Non-Friendship

Baby, Don't Cry


One week after, Jongin was going crazy. His dance classes were cancelled and he's got nothing to do after school. He was so bored. And he still can't move his right arm which means he couldn't eat properly. If he couldn't eat properly, he'll be hungry and that will make him grumpy all day. Everyone is giving him a wide berth these days lest he turn on them with his wild eyes. Even his teachers were scared of him.

With time on his hands, Jongin decided to scour the school for something to do. Maybe a few guys will be playing some betting games at the back of the school. Or some stupid students might be fighting or beating each other up there. It will be fun to watch them fumble with each other and hit nothing at all. Well, anything to get entertained.

He was on his way to the school backyard when in the corner of his eye he saw a small framed boy turning towards a darkened corridor. The boy looked back a bit before continuing on his way. There was something familiar about his profile.

Abandoning his real plan, Jongin followed the student. He saw him enter a room. Jongin looked around him. He'd never been to this part of the school before but he still went on following the boy. He was pretty sure he's the same one he saw crying in the hospital. He'll never forget those big, round eyes.

Jongin quitely slipped into the room. But his efforts were in vain because the boy was looking straight at him.

"Is it your habit spying on people?" The boy asked.

"Uh, no. I just got lost."

"Nobody gets lost and ends up here. This place is nowhere." The boy continued to look suspiciously at Jongin. "I know you. You were the boy at the hospital. You were also spying on me then."

"I didn't spy on you! I don't even know you. And besides how would you know if it was me?" Jongin asked defensively.

"Well, when I looked up I saw a brown-skinned boy with a cast on his right arm who looks a lot like you. And he was wearing the same uniform as me. I haven't seen anyone else wearing a cast in school except for you."

Jongin didn't know what to say to that. He was still thinking of an excuse when his eyes came upon the other boy's name plate.
"Do Kyungsoo? You're that Do Kyungsoo? The child prodigy? Our district's own Perfect Pitch?" Jongin asked, surprised. He knew him. Well, he knows of him.

"Yes, I'm Do Kyungsoo. But I'm more like the Pitiful-Orphan-so-let's-make-fun-of-him-Do-Kyungsoo nowadays."

Jongin remembered the crying boy in the hospital room. That image was a far cry from the boy standing infront of him. He looked at Kyungsoo's raised eyebrows, defiant eyes and defensive smirk. He looks as if he's ready for a fight. Jongin understood him enough to let him have it. Anything to help him forget the hurt.

"Well, nice to meet you. I'm Everybody-loves-me-because-I'm-so-damn-perfect-Kim-Jongin." Jongin answered with a smirk of his own.

"Nice to meet you, so now can you please get lost?" Kyungsoo said with a sweet smile.

"Why would I? Do you own this place? Last time I heard, this room is school property."

"Yeah? Last time I heard they rounded obnoxious little boys like you and threw them in the river to swim with the fishes." Kyungsoo retorted.

"Last time I heard, you're more little than me." Jongin shot back.

Kyungsoo fumed. "Those obnoxious boys? They drown."

"Good thing I'm not obnoxious. Hell, what does that mean anyway? Is that even a word?"

"Are you sure only your arm is broken? Have you had the doctors check your head?"

"My head's pretty enough, what's to check?"

"To see where your brain ran off to."

Jongin was having the time of his life. This was more than sparring, this was a blood bath. He had to stay on his toes. This Kyungsoo guy was a pro. If he was a weaker mortal he'd have been food for the fishes two hours ago. Hold on. Jongin looked at his watch. It's been two hours?

"I can't believe it." Jongin said to himself.

"What? You admit defeat?" Kyungsoo asked after Jongin went quiet.

"What do you mean defeat? I was just looking at my watch. I just wasted two hours of my life having this non-conversation with you."

"Not to mention my time wasted talking to you. Let's not meet again. Ever."

Jongin walked towards the door but just before he went out he waved at the older boy and said, "Let's do this again tomorrow!"

Then he was gone.



Kyungsoo's eyes travelled to his watch. It's alreay half past four but there was no sign of the bane of his life, Jongin. Not that he was waiting for him. It's just that he's used to seeing the sophomore there in the old piano room when the clock strikes four. It's been a little over two weeks since they started this pattern. Jongin was always there every afternoon, fooling around, disrupting his quiet time. No wonder he hasn't even added a single note to his mother's unfinished song.

Thoughts of his eomma never fail to sweep Kyungsoo into a tide of hurt and loss. He lost his father when he was just two, so although his mom always told him stories about him, he was just a vague memory to him. But his eomma was different. She always took care of Kyungsoo. He knew she was sad having to loose the only man she loved so soon, but she never showed it. She made Kyungsoo feel as if he was enough to make her happy.

That's why Kyungsoo did try to make her happy as a mother should be. They said he was a singer just like his father so he took care of his voice and sang to his eomma everynight. He won competitions where he was recognized as the best in their district. Everybody had high hopes for him. He would hear people say how lucky he was that his father was a singer and his mother a composer so he came out as a very talented kid. He would feel very proud whenever his mom gets congratulated everytime he wins or performs.

He wanted to finish his mother's song. He promised on her funeral. He'll make the perfect love song for his parents. Theirs was a love story that people only read in books and he was intent to give them a happy ending they deserved.

"Now, don't look so sad. Jongin's here." The boy said from the doorway.

Kyungsoo looked up to see Jongin's confident smirk. "Who says anyone's waiting for you?"

"Come on, no need to deny it."

"Maybe you should find a place where somebody actually wants you to be there."

"Well, that's why I'm here!"

Kyungsoo can feel a headache coming. He knows that if he takes the younger boy's bait, they'll fall into another argument that both of them will never win. He doesn't really know why Jongin keeps on coming there everyday. It's not as if they were friends. They couldn't even finish a sentence without insulting one another.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" Jongin teased.

"No, I felt you're comment didn't deserve a response."

"Ouch, How thy princess hurt me!" Jongin clutched his chest. Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes at him. "Roll your eyes all you want but I know you'll miss me when I'm gone."

""You'll be gone? Really?" The older boy asked happily.

"Ha! As you can see I'm free!" Jongin lifted his right arm and Kyungsoo noticed for the first time that he wasn't wearing a cast anymore. So that's what's different.

"I get to comeback to my dance classes! Jolly jolly, ho ho ho!" Then the boy proceeded to twirl around the room with his arms spread wide.

"Good for me, then." Kyungsoo said.

"Awww... Don't feel too bad. I could still come visit you once in a while." Jongin teased.

"I really don't care. It will be nice to have this room all to myself again, thank you." But although Kyungsoo was happy about Jongin's news, he somehow felt disappointed. What the heck?

Jongin just laughed and went to get Kyungsoo's bag. He reached for the older boy's cellphone. Kyungsoo was too surprised to react.

"What are you doing with my phone?"

Jongin looked up. "I'm entering my number just in case, you know, you miss me." He then dialled a number and another cellphone rang from within Jongin's backpack.

"You're saving my number?" Kyungsoo asked dumbfounded.

"Yeah, so when you call and I see who it is, I won't answer. I'll let you miss me more." Jongin said with a big smile.

"That's stupid."

"Shucks, you're mean!"

"You're crazy." Kyungsoo shook his head and snatched his phone from Jongin. His already large eyes rounded some more when he read the name the younger boy saved.

"Beloved Prince?!"

Jongin just answered him with a satisfied smirk. He then showed how he saved Kyungsoo's number on his phone. It read Cranky Princess.

"I pity your parents. How long would they have to put up with you?" Kyungsoo said resigned.

"Obviously they put up with me longer since they're still with me while yours..." Jongin froze and looked at Kyungsoo, who was standing still.

"Kyungsoo, sorry... I didn't mean.. Of course your parents loved you, I wasn't..."

"They loved me." Kyungsoo said quietly. He knows Jongin didn't mean what he was saying, but it still kinda hurts to be reminded that he no longer has anyone.

"I know. I'm sorry. I'll go." Jongin turned to leave.

Kyungsoo watched him go. He didn't know why but it suddenly hurt to see Jongin leave. Because when people he loved leave him they never come back.

"Well, I don't love him." He said to himself.