Uncertainty

Baby, you might just fall in love with me

I'm back! Really ^^ Exams are now basically over and I'm pretty sure I know where this story is going to so expect more regular updates! Aigoo, Khuntoria in WGM is so cute.

CHAPTER 8

"I think you're more excited than I am," I said in amazement as Nichkhun eagerly dragged me through the street-lamp lit night.

 "Of course I am," he simply smiled at me, his eyes alight. I watched him with a dumbfounded expression. His excitement amazed me.

I'd always thought a woman would be more excited to find out whether she was pregnant or not - not a man wanting to find out if he was going to be a father.

But it did make sense in a way - after all, Nichkhun had grown up in a large family where he was the caregiver. He had looked after his younger sisters and cousins almost like they were his own children.

His caring nature brought a smile to my lips.

At least I knew our baby, if I was even pregnant, would always be looked after.

And that was a comforting thought.

Finally, we reached the 24 hour pharmacy that Nichkhun had been guiding us to and we quickly stepped inside, greeting the lady at the counter. Luckily, she simply greeted back without giving a second glance to Nichkhun, who in his excitement, had simply thrown on jeans and a t-shirt and had not bothered to hide his identity in any other way.

That was why I'd refused to hold hands in the beginning of our walk, but somehow we'd ended up with intertwined fingers any way.

"C'mon Vic," he sang, almost skipping through the aisles. I shook my head at him, following his lead as his excitement began to be contagious.

It would be a great thing if I was really pregnant after all - my fears about Nichkhun leaving me would allayed.

"Where do you think they keep these things?" he asked me as we stopped before an aisle.

I checked the aisle's contents and shook my head as a few giggles escaped my lips.

"Ya, this is the toiletries aisle," I told him as I pointed to the various hair treatments and soaps, "Idiot," I softly told him as I lightly punched his shoulder.

I then took the lead and walked towards the women's section.

I snuck a glance behind me, only to find that Nichkhun's ears had turned red at the tips. I smirked at his embarrassment. For all his experience with women, he still seemed so innocent.

"Here we go," I said as we came across what we were looking for.

"Wah, why are there so many different brands and types?" the Thai man asked as he tilted his head to the side.

"Because some are better than others, just like anything," I replied and began sifting through the brands.

Most of them held a three minute time limit and held a 99% accuracy rate. I bit my lip as I grabbed three different boxes - these little tests would soon be determining a lot of my future.

"So many?"

I nodded, "You have to test more than once," I told him as we went to go pay, "Because some of them might test wrongly. It's a best of three."

He nodded, understanding my words as he pulled out his wallet to pay for the tests. I held my breath as we waited for the lady at the counter to ring up the tests. She still hadn't shown any signs of recognizing Nichkhun, but it could've all been an act after all.

I really should've just come by myself.

"I hope the results come out as you wish," the lady gently spoke to us as she placed the tests into a plastic bag. Her tone was one of genuine sincerity and trusts and my fears faded.

She wasn't going to say anything about this to anyone.

"Thank you very much," I responded in my uneasy Korean, but the smiled nonetheless.

And then we were out of the store and back into the unassuming night.

Anxiety began to pool in stomach.

 

- - - - -

 

Quite honestly, this had to be the longest three minutes of my life.

I'd locked Nichkhun out of the bathroom even, despite his whining and pouting. I wanted to face the answer by myself first, before involving him.

It also gave me time to prepare after the result was given - if it was positive, I could shout in joy before opening the door and running to him. Then, I told myself, I wouldn't have to worry about losing Nichkhun again. If I was pregnant now, I would know that him I were meant to be in a way that wasn't just as best friends.

However, if it was negative...

I shivered at the thought.

If it was negative, I wasn't too sure how I'd react. Nichkhun would throw me out, wouldn't he? After all.... due to his idol life, he was probably used to getting what he wanted and if he didn't, he could always get it from somewhere else... right?

Please, be positive.

I checked my phone one more time - finding that I had less than a minute left to wait.

The fear began to course through my veins and an unexpected dread began to pool in my stomach.

Was I simply overreacting?

And then, it was time.

I slowly walked to the basin - where the tests we waiting - and I tried to keep my face passive. I had to be positive after all, being positive got you positive results... or so they said.

And then, I fell to my knees.

The tears were streaming down my cheeks before I could stop them and my body was wracking uncontrollably. The disappointment was akin to physical pain. I clutched my womb as I cried, desperately wishing that things were different.

"Vic?" came Nichkhun's concerned call from the other side of the door, but I made no motion to attempt to open for him. I didn't want to face him right now. I was too scared to.

He was going to leave me after this.

He was going to find another woman.

And that saddened me the most.

Soon enough, I heard the lock being played with, but I had no energy to try and stop him from entering. It was his house after all.

Rather face it now. Rather face his disappointment now than later.

"Vic!" he exclaimed as he entered the room. My back was toward him and I was glad I couldn't see his face - that look of disapproval.

His footsteps neared me and I knew that he could see the tests from where he stood. I pinched my eyes shut, waiting for the storm to break.

But it didn't.

Instead, a pair of soothing arms wrapped themselves around me.

"Shh," a gentle whisper reached me, "It's going to be ok." And he pulled me closer, further into his grasp, resting his head on my shoulder as he comforted me.

"It's going to be ok Vic," he hushed me as my tears began to calm themselves, "It's going to be ok. This is just a minor setback."

He was talking as if he wanted to keep trying.

And I prayed that he did.

 

- - - - -

 

When I woke up the next morning, I was alone.

I was also in Nichkhun's bed.

I frowned as I sat up in the luxurious fabric. I remembered falling asleep in the bathroom last night, or really, a few hours ago. I remembered passing out in his arms... did he bring me to his bed?

Why would he?

I wasn't pregnant after all.

He had no more reason to keep me, or even be nice to me.

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts.

I had to go and talk to him.

I had to go to the JYP building and talk to him, before this day was over. After all, if he wanted to me to leave, I would rather leave sooner than later.

I'm sure my mother would be willing to let me live with her for a few days again if I went back to China. I could help her with her nursery business. It would also help to have her support as she'd always been the one I'd gone to when I needed a shoulder.

Well, I'd gone crying to Nichkhun too... when we'd been best friends.

But five years could do a lot to a friendship.

And even though he'd come back for me, it didn't mean that he'd come back for our friendship. After all, he'd taken me the moment he'd appeared on my doorstep. There hadn't been a time where we'd even spoken about what we'd both experienced in the past five years.

He'd been too busy.

Too busy to hear about my life without him. There hadn't been time to tell him how much I'd missed him or about the kids I'd been looking after in China, Tao, Wufan, Yixing... I missed them and I wished I could tell Nichkhun.

Soon enough, a fresh batch of tears were apparent in my eyes.

I had to go and speak to him.

 

Thank you to everyone who has been patiently waiting for my update ^^