Sickness

Baby, you might just fall in love with me

I hope everyone didn't wait too long for this and that it meets all expectations! <3

CHAPTER ONE

Today was an ominous day.

While it wasn’t as though the clouds were grey or the weather was frozen. No, quite the opposite – it was a warm temperature and the sun shone proudly. It would be a good day in China.

But… it was a horrible day for me.

Nichkhun was leaving for Korea today.

He’d finally been accepted as an official JYP trainee and they wanted him in Korea so that they would be further able to expand his career. I was happy for him, I truly and tearfully was happy for him. But, I couldn’t erase the dread that weighed down my heart – he was leaving.

It was something I’d never thought of before. He’d always been a constant presence in my life since the age of nine and now suddenly, I wasn’t able to imagine him being that constant presence in the future. Not because I didn’t want to, but because I couldn’t.

I’d never really believed in dreaming about something that couldn’t happen.

“Victoria!”

My mom’s shrill voice pierced my thoughts and I lifted my body from my bed, where I’d been lying and thinking about life for the past two hours.

“Nichkhun is here! He’s coming up!” she called again and I heard the sound of approaching footsteps on the wooden floorboards.

Within moments, Nichkhun’s handsome face appeared before me as he leaned his leanly muscled frame against my door. A smile dressed his face, yet it hid something behind its curled happiness.

I offered a weak smile in response and motioned for him to sit beside me on the bed. He came without hesitation and I felt the bed dip at his added weight. Immediately a hand rested across my stomach as he settled beside me. I smiled despite myself at the familiar action and found myself turning on my side to face him. Our eyes met instantly and for moments, we remained silent.

We both knew the conversation that had to be spoken.

“Hi,” I feebly mumbled, my voice sounding strained.

“Hi,” he repeated and his voice’s tone equal to mine.

I sighed as I whimpered softly and nestled my head into the crook of his neck. I no longer wanted to put on a front. I was going to miss him and I was going to miss him a lot. His hand went to the small of my back in a form of comfort, but we both knew it would be no comfort.

“I’ll miss you too Victoria,” he replied to my unspoken words as he rested his head on top of mine and I could imagine him taking in the scent of my hair – he’d always said he loved it’s vanilla smell.

“I wish I was selfish enough to tell you not to go,” I whispered to him, my breathing warming the skin on the neck, “But I won’t. I won’t stop you from achieving your dream.”

I heard him chuckle from above, “I know you won’t and for that, I really am grateful. You’re the only person who could make me stay you know?”

My eyes widened at this and I snuck a peak at his eyes, only to find them filled with complete honesty.

“You idiot, never let someone have so much power of you,” I teased, “They might not be as nice as me!”

He chuckled again at my joke and rolled his eyes, “How I wish I could take you with me.”

I took note of the wistful look he’d taken on.

“You know I can barely even speak Korean,” I said, “I’d never be able to survive there for very long.”

I’d considered moving with him, I really had, but I realized that if I went, I’d simply be a burden to him. I didn’t want to restrain him in any way and I knew he’d put his career second to me.

Another silence overtook us as we locked gazes.

I felt time stop and for a moment, I imagined he wasn’t going anywhere but reality was quick to sink in.

I felt tears welling.

Within seconds Nichkhun pulled me into his chest as my tears fell.

“It’s ok to cry,” he croaked and soon, he was crying too, "But remember our deal?"

I nodded, trying in vain to control the tears.

"I promise I'll fulfill it."

I wanted so desperately to believe his words, that I did.

 

FIVE YEARS LATER

 

Put your hands up!

I strongly resisted the urge to throw my hands up into the air, partly due to the heavy shopping bags I held and partly due to the fact that the people on the street would honestly think I was insane.

But then again, I truly was insane.

Only an insane person would be waiting on a superstar’s promise.

I quickly shook my head, my now dyed blonde locks, ruffling around me at the action. I wanted to banish the thoughts from my head as I’d been having a good day before this, I didn’t want to ruin that now.

The upbeat song continued to pump into my ears and even though I didn’t really understand the Korean words, I listened to it joyfully. Simply because it was his voice that was singing it.

Well, a part at least.

A small smile curved my lips as I set the song on repeat and decided it would be my travelling music until I reached my small apartment.

Really, teaching nursery school children didn’t generate as much income as I thought, but I was happy with my job and that was all that mattered.

And I wouldn’t exchange the moments with the children for anything.

A soft sigh left my lips as I briefly allowed myself to imagine what it would be like with my own child, instead of someone else’s. A shiver tingled my spine and I grinned, imaging a little boy or girl calling me ‘mommy’ instead of ‘teacher’.

But all too soon, reality sunk in.

I was currently single.

And marriage seemed farther than the sky.

My grin dropped into a frown and I mentally scolded myself for allowing my thoughts to wander to such an extent. I usually had more self-control when it came to such matters, especially since they seemed to be unobtainable dreams at the moment.

Luckily, I was given a reprieve as my apartment came into view.

The cosy place had been mine ever since I’d first started university six years ago and I didn’t have the heart to move- I’d already made too many memories here and couldn’t bare the thought of anyone else living here and erasing those precious times.

I was at my doorstep in no time and my fingers were already fishing my handbag for my keys when a wave of unease spread throughout me, prickling my skin with some sort of morose excitement. I frowned at the sensation, but chose to ignore it as my fingers latched on to the metallic object. The feeling lingered, but I passed it off as being a fluke.

No-one ever robbed in a small town like mine.

I pushed the door open with a small grunt and my manicured fingers found the light switch on the wall.

You know, they always say that women have a sixth sense.

And that when that sixth sense is active, you should listen to it.

I should’ve listened to mine.

As soon as the light filtered into my apartment, a figure became obviously apparent.

The heavy shopping bags fell from my hands and landed onto the floor with a gentle thud. My knees began to buckle, going numb and I couldn’t even close the door behind me.

I wasn’t sure whether to believe my eyes or the fact that I had an overactive imagination.

Nichkhun couldn’t be standing across the room from me now.

There was absolutely no way my best friend could be standing a mere few meters from me when he was supposed to be doing promotions in Korea.

“Victoria?”

His voice was all I needed in order to believe my eyes.

My knees collapsed.

But, I didn’t hit the ground as Nichkhun was at my side within moments, arms carefully under mine as he prevented me from reaching the ground. A sense of familiarity immediately invaded my sense as his scent overwhelmed me. We were so close as he pulled me into a standing position, however, his arms never leaving me in case I plunged to the ground again.

Or, at least, that’s what I told myself.

I tilted my head upwards slowly, feeling as though it wouldn’t be the face I remembered, but as soon as my eyes trailed over those features I could sketch off by heart, I knew it was him.

A pair of chocolaty, doe brown eyes stared down at me, warm and inviting as his lips curled themselves into a tender smile.

“Nichkhun?” I somehow managed to whimper as I remembered how to talk.

“Hey,” he replied, voice low and soothing, “Did you miss me?”

I felt tears begin to threaten my eyes at his words. I bit my lip in an attempt to keep them from spilling. Instead, I focused on his face and observed all the changes. His once raven black hair was now a shade of brown and it was neatly cut into a fringe that flopped over his forehead. His skin was more tanned than I could remember, but I didn’t make him seem any less familiar. Maturity was evident in his eyes, past the gentleness they held, and I gasped softly, hoping he hadn’t gone through something horrible to make them that way.

The tears made themselves known again as soon as Nichkhun’s hands crushed me into an embrace.

I was unable to retain them any longer as I sobbed into him.

I still couldn’t believe that he was really here and I wasn’t imaging things after a long day at work.

He wasn’t even supposed to be here now, or anywhere in China for that matter.

“What… you… here?” I struggled to speak, but somehow he understood as he nodded with a chuckle.

“I have my ways. Let’s just say that fans think that I got sick,” he spoke and gently brought a hand to my cheek and wiped away the trails of wetness, “And it isn’t exactly a lie either.”

I blinked at him in confusion as the tears began to dry.

“I did get sick,” he continued, “Sick of missing you.”

 

 

After my second set of tears, Nichkhun had carried me to the couch, where he’d gently placed me on his lap and had allowed me to shed every tear.

And now, a few hours later, still in the same position, it felt as though he’d never left.

It felt as though he’d been here for the past five years.

We'd sat in complete silence for the past few hours too, but somehow, I knew we were both musing over the same thing - our numrous times together. A soft smile curved my lips as the memories happily replayed themselves after I'd restrained them for so long. While he'd been gone, I kept myself from thinking about times that would simply make me wistful. Besides, I wouldn't have been able to change anything anyway.

Nichkhun's gentle breaths of air soothed me as his chest moved up and down rhythmically. When we'd been kids, we'd often sat in this position.

And a few hours ago, I'd honestly thought I'd never feel this soothing action ever again.

But then, reality kicked in.

Nichkhun was here. When he wasn't supposed to be.

I inhaled deeply and turned myself so that I faced him, our stomachs touching as I leaned on him completely. He was surprised by the sudden change of position, but that didn't stop him from resting his hands on the small of my back. I shivered at the intimate contact and the skin beneath his fingers began to tingle pleasantly. I tried to ignore the sensation.

"How long are you here for?" I forced out of my mouth.

"I was wondering when you'd ask this..." he trailed and was determined to lock eyes with me.

I complied.

"To be honesty, I'm only here for a day."

I widened my eyes at him and felt disappoint clawing through me. I thought he'd at least be staying longer and that we'd have more time-

The smirk on his face halted my thoughts.

"Because a day is all I need to sort out my unfinished business."

My eyes widened further in confusion. What unfinished business could he be talking about?

"Do you remember... five years ago, when we were on this exact same couch... and you'd just gotten your heart broken?" I nodded hesitantly and my heart began to race at the prospect of his words.

"I know you think I might've forgotten, but I haven't Victoria."

Deciding to ease myself, I asked, "Forgotten what?"

He smiled and suddenly, his grip on my back became a little tighter. The skin began to burn and I visibly shivered. Sure, he'd touched my back before, but it'd never felt quite like this, with such intention in his finger tips.

He leaned closer and our breathes were close enough to mix.

"I never forgot our deal," he breathed, voice huskier, "And I keep my promises."

"It's time."

I so desperately wanted to believe his words, that I did.

 

Dum, dum! Whoop! Chapter done! I hope you guys enjoyed because honestly, the comments I got were so amazing and you guys make me feel so special and waaaaahhh~ Thank you so very much! I'm so glad I can bring back your love for this darling couple <3 Thank you again for all the support and comments!