Chapter 13

I Hid Because of the Things I Couldn't Say

 

The door slammed shut behind Kevin and he leaned against the door. His heart was beating erratically in his chest both from running and the fact that he had just kissed Kiseop.

At the thought of the kiss Kevin brought his fingers up to his lips, lightly touching them with the pads of his fingers. A light blush dusting his cheeks as he remembered what had happen not so long ago. The kiss, though chaste as it was, was simply breathtaking. Just like all the others he remembered sharing with Kiseop all those years ago. They were perfect and Kevin wished he could kiss Kiseop once more.

Why am I so stupid! Kevin questioned himself as he broke away from his thoughts. He wasn’t supposed to be feeling this way towards Kiseop. He had even promise himself that he would move on like Kiseop had done. After all, Kiseop had made it clear that he had moved on by dating AJ.

But they broke up, a small voice inside Kevin’s head whispered. You can be with Kiseop again.

“I can’t,” Kevin said aloud. “Kiseop doesn’t love me anymore.”

It’s funny that the first thing you would say would be Kiseop, the voice seemed to have a slight sneer to it, almost as if to mock him. What about Eli? You’re still dating him or do you not want to date him?

Kevin tensed at that. He had honestly forgotten about Eli. “I--I don’t know,” Kevin said honestly. His mind and heart warring with one another for him to make a decision.

Just forget about him and move on was what his mind was saying, but his heart was another story. It was telling him that Eli wasn’t the one for him. That the one for him was a certain red haired male that he had kissed and didn’t get pushed away for it.

Kevin placed his hands at the side of his head and felt like yanking out all of his hair. He had to stop thinking about this. He had to if not for himself then for Kiseop and Eli. He would not cause any trouble for either of them.

Kevin stood up and looked at the clock on the wall by the T.V. a sigh was released from his lips as he realized that Eli was going to be getting off of work soon. The brunet decided that he would forget the kiss he had shared with Kiseop and focus on what he had. He wasn’t going to imagine that Kiseop would take him back after all these years. He wasn’t going to fool himself.

So when Eli had come home to a nice warm dinner, Kevin gave his boyfriend a kiss on the cheek and a wide smile. And so what if the smile was too wide to be natural. At least he was trying to be happy with his decision. Even if it hurt him.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

It didn’t take long for Eli to notice the subtle difference in Kevin’s behavior. Sure Kevin still smiled and laughed, but half the time it seemed force. As if Kevin was just forcing himself to smile or laugh at whatever was said. When the brunet had started all this, Eli wasn’t sure, but he knew it had something to do with Kiseop.

Eli only wished that that Kevin would have just come out and said it straight to his face instead of pretending that everything was okay. Because Eli knew that everything was not okay, not anymore.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

When Eli woke, all he could do was lay in bed as he stared at the ceiling. It was well before dawn if the night sky outside his window was anything to go by and yet Eli couldn’t go back to sleep no matter how hard he tried. The thought of Kevin and how strange he had been acting kept running through his mind. He knew the cause of why Kevin was acting so strangely, he just wished he had remained oblivious to it all.

He loved Kevin, but he knew that no matter how hard he wished for it, Kevin would never love him the same way he did. It would never happen. He would never be able to truly have Kevin’s heart, he even knew from the day he had asked Kevin out. He had always known that Kevin still had feelings for his ex. Had seen it multiple times when Kevin would lapse into his thoughts. Kevin would then wear a small sad smile subconsciously on his face and his eyes would go misty. He had known since he had first become Kevin’s friend.

He had just denied it this entire time.

When the first ray of sunshine hit his ceiling Eli decided it was time for him to get out of bed. He had a lot of things to do. And the first step was to make Kevin breakfast and wake him up.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Eli stood in the open doorway of Kevin’s room. He took in the sight of what was probably the last time he would see the sight before him. Kevin’s beautiful sleeping face. As for how long Eli had stood there he wasn’t sure, but he eventually moved from his spot. He walked towards Kevin’s bed and placed the tray on the desk next to the bed. He turned towards Kevin and gently began to shake the other awake as he called his name. Eli watched as those long lashes fluttered slightly before they opened.

“Kevin looked up at Eli with a small frown, but it quickly changed to that of a smile. “Morning Eli,” Kevin greeted sleepily.

“Morning,” Eli greeted back. “How was your sleep?”

“It was nice,” Kevin answered. He slowly sat up and was about to place a kiss on Eli’s lips when the other pulled away. He gave Eli a confuse look before he was directed towards his bedside table.

“Breakfast first and you gotta brush your teeth. You have horrible morning breath.” Eli made a face, but meant it good naturedly.

Kevin looked at the tray of food with a raised brow. “Breakfast in bed?”

Eli just smiled as he answered. “I thought you might want breakfast in bed for once. You know to change it up a bit.”

The brunet only nodded and gave Eli a wide smile before gesturing for his breakfast. He wasn’t going to question Eli’s thought process and eating in bed actually did sound nice. So once he got his breakfast he began eating it. He didn’t notice the sad look that passed over Eli’s face for a fraction of a second. Or that Eli seemed a lot more distant than he ever had before.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

With the distance between both Eli and Kevin it was only a matter of time before something snapped between them. It was just misfortune that their fight had to happen right before their anniversary.

Kevin had been looking all day since Eli was at work and won’t be coming home until around dinner time. He was happy, but at the same time he wasn’t. His mind would continuously return to Kiseop and the kiss they shared. He felt guilty about the kiss, but what Kevin thought was worst was that a small part of him wasn’t. Those same feelings and thoughts kept repeating in the brunette's head every day since.

Kevin laid out dinner on the table, knowing that Eli was going to return any minute. When he placed the last dish down, he heard his phone ring--signaling he had a message. He took it out and when he read who had sent him the text, his heart skipped a beat.

It was Kiseop.

Kevin quickly put the phone down and tried to get it out of his head. He committed the rest of his mind to just setting up the dinner he had prepared. So when Eli came home, the message was long forgotten and Kevin was smiling.

Eli greeted Kevin with a hug, but when Kevin tried to kiss him, Eli pulled away. He was the frown on Kevin’s lips, but chose to do nothing.

“Can we talk after dinner, Kevin?” Eli asked. He didn’t look at Kevin as he said those words. He just continued to pull off his coat and place it on the coat rack while taking off his shoes.

“Sure, but we can talk about it during dinner as well if it’s important,” Kevin offered. He was confused by what Eli would want to talk about with him. If it was important it would’ve been better to discuss it as soon as possible. He watched Eli shake his head. “Okay, well dinner’s ready then.” He walked towards the dining area.

Eli followed and dinner began.

They ate in silence for the most part of the meal. Neither able to speak what’s on their mind. SO when dinner ended, Kevin was dreading what Eli had to say. They had moved out of the dining room after placing the dirty dishes in the sink and the leftovers into the refrigerator. They moved into the living room and sat across from one another. It took a couple minutes of silence before Eli was speaking.

“Kevin, I think we should break up,” Eli said. He was staring at his hands as he said those words.

Kevin stared at Eli in shock for a few moments before he shook himself out of it. “Why?” Kevin inquired softly.

“Because you don’t love me,” Eli said. “At least not as much as I want you to.” Eli looked up at Kevin with sad eyes. “Was I your rebound?”

“No!” Kevin quickly denied.

Eli sighed at Kevin’s quick denial. It was more than enough for him to hear those words than the actual truth. But it didn’t hurt any less.

“Kevin, I want you to be happy,” Eli said as he looked into Kevin’s eyes. “And I know that you aren’t happy with me, at least not as happy as you should be.” There was a pause before he continued. “And I know that you would be the happiest by Kiseop’s side.” Kevin didn’t say anything, but looked down at his hands. Eli continued. “I’ll always care about you, Kevin, but I want you to be happy. So for me, can you follow your heart?”

Kevin nodded and he did what he felt was right at that moment. He wrapped his arms around Eli and thanked him for everything.

“I’m going to stay at my parent’s for now,” Kevin said as he pulled away.

“I understand. Just make sure you get what your heart wants.”

Kevin nodded with a smile on his face.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

AN: Sorry this chapter took so long to come out. I'm busy with life and graduation is coming up for me and the real life. But the good news is that I already have the rest of the story written out. All I have to do is type it out and post it. So look forward to it. There's only two more chapters and the epilogue left. Then this story is done.

In other words, I am also working on the oneshots, but those will come out more slowly as those are just things that I want to do on the side. I'm focusing on more works like an original story and another one that involves reincarnation. If you guys are interested just let me know and I'll post a link to what they're about.