Chapter 2

집 - Home

~

 

  

            As soon as the taxi left, the neighbourhood where they were turned silent—almost nothing could be heard.

            While Jack was searching for an address on his mobile phone, Krystal decided to look around. It was already getting dark and no street lights were seen. As Krystal looked closer, she noticed how the houses in that street were strange, yet beautiful. Dark blue tiled roofs, light-wooden façades and stoned walls were common in every house.

 

            "Hanok." Jack suddenly spoke, glancing at Krystal.

            "What?" She turned to Jack.

            "Korean traditional houses."

            "Oh, so we're in Korea?"

            "Guess so." Jack started to look around, not giving much attention to Krystal, walking up the street. "Oh, it's this one."       

 

            He grabbed the door knock and knocked twice. Joe and Johnny quickly grabbed the suitcases and followed Jack to the front of the house, leaving Krystal alone at the bottom of the street.

            A few minutes later, something on the door moved and a rectangular open appeared, revealing the eyes of an old asian lady.

           

            "Who is it?" She asked in her native language.

 

            The bodyguards looked at each other, but Jack only smiled at the old woman and she understood who they were. Krystal ran to them.

            The wooden gate opened, revealing a grey-stoned path that led to a huge house.

            From behind the gate, the old woman told them to come in. She smiled a lot when she saw Krystal, at which she responded with an awkward smile; who was that lady? As Krystal stepped in, a white dog ran to her, wagging his tail.

           

            "It's okay, he's a kind one, he won't hurt you," the old lady said, seeing Krystal taking a step back. The lady wouldn't stop smiling; even her eyes were smiling.

           

            Krystal nodded at her without understanding what she said, and patted the dog's head.

            Surrounding the path was a green garden and a few steps ahead the house in itself started. The main sliding door was open, revealing a some kind of living room with a long table in the middle, a lot different from the tables Krystal was used to see back in America: this one was really low and dark, contrasting with the color of the whole house, which was all built with a pretty, light-brown wood. Around the table, on the floor, were spreaded three sitting pillows in each side.

            That was all she could see from that house. There were two sliding doors in each side of the house and one at the end of the room. She started to get curious about the rest of the beautiful house, but she decided she should wait.

            Krystal didn't realize, but in front of her were five pairs of white slippers. She followed the old lady's example and changed her shoes for the slippers.

            The old lady told them to sit as she opened the second door on the right side of the house, entering a kitchen.

           

            "Okay guys, sit." Jack sat on the floor and everyone followed him. "Now I'm going to explain why we are here. And it has to be fast." He turned to Krystal, who was sitting by his side. "Welcome to your new house!" He waved his arms in the air, trying to sound cheerful — and he actually was.

            "That's not funny, you know." Krystal looked at him is disapprovement. "Now tell me the real reason why I came here on a Wednesday, while I'm skipping classes."

            "This is where you'll be living for the next months, maybe years," he said in a serious tone.

            "Stop joking already!" She raised her voice.

            "It's getting a little troublesome back there in America," he ignored her. "This is probably the safest place for you."

            "What do you mean?" She glanced at her bodyguards and they nodded in agreement. "Does..." She cleared . "Does my father know about this?"

            "Of course, do you think we would take you out of your bed during the night if it wasn't for your father's orders?"

            "Is it that bad?"

            "You were being targeted."

            "Targeted?"

            "You had people stalking you for days now." That got her attention. She looked at him.

            "How come I didn't know about this?"

            "We didn't want you to be scared, we thought that this sudden change of waking up in another country would be better."

 

            The old lady came out from the kitchen with a little tray on her hands. She cautiously kneeled on the head of the table and started giving out tea to everyone, including to herself, and placed a plate with cookies on the middle of the table. Krystal noticed something creepy on that old lady. Creepy, at the same time nice: the old lady was always smiling. She put the tray aside and sat. The dog came in and rested by her side.

            Krystal stared at her strange-looking tea, thinking. The silent atmosphere was soon filled up with the bodyguards' munching.

           

            "Why—" She cleared once again, trying to hide her nervousness. "Why South Korea?"

           

            Jack was already waiting for this question. He took a sip of his tea, making Krystal even more nervous.

                       

            "Back to the origins," he simply said.

            "What do you mean?" She shook her head and looked at him.

            "Your grandmother," he said, glancing at the always-smiling old lady.

 

 


 

 

A/N: Amber will appear shortly, please be patient~~ I promise to work harder enough as to make you love this story ahah :)

Actually I have plenty of the story written, but it's not into chapters, so I'm now editing it and since i've been busy with all the school work, it's taking way too long... Won't happen again!

Hope you liked it and thank you to everyone who reads this! :)