Chapter 6

집 - Home

~

 

 

 

            Krystal sighed as she opened the maths textbook. She had homework to do and didn't understand any of it. Besides, she couldn't even concentrate on anything, ever since she woke up on that saturday.

            Finally she decided to give a thought about what was happening with her life. She spent the whole morning sat on the bed, staring to nowhere, not even bothering to eat breakfast.

            She tried to look for answers to her questions. What was she doing in Korea? Jack said she was being targeted back in California. But why Korea of all places? And targeted by whom? Fine, she had a grandmother here. But then why is it that she had never heard of her before? She knew her mother was asian, but why did she never heard about her family background? And why did Johnny say that this was the most dangereous place for her to be? All these questions invaded Krystal's mind, leaving her even more confused. But she did get to one conclusion: she knew nothing. She knew nothing about the people around her. She has never known, and never actually cared about it. she has always had a good life, so there was nothing to worry about. However now, she felt the need to know. She felt the need to seek for the answer to her questions. Worry, frustration, and somewhat fear started growing within her.

           

            "You know that's all wrong, don't you?" Krystal looked up, startled by Jack's presence. She didn't even notice him coming. "Seriously, are you that dumb?"

            "It's not my fault! This is just too difficult." He pulled the pink beanbag and sat on it, next to Krystal, his height a lot below her's.

            "How come?" He took the notebook from her to read it.

            "It's different from what I was learning in America, it's as if they're advanced or something." She threw her pencil and covered her face with both hands, sighing in despair.

            "You'll get used to it soon, don't worry." He patted her back and grabbed the pencil. "Do you want me to help you?"

           

            Jack explained everything while he was resolving the exercises. However Krystal wasn't listening, she was lost on her thougths once again, now staring to Jack as he explained, trying to guess what was going on his mind, what was he hiding from her.

           

            "What do you do?" Krystal suddenly asked.

            "Hm?" Jack looked up from the notebook to eye her. "What do you mean?"

            "Your job, what is it?" Krystal was with her head on her left hand, supported by her elbow, still locking eyes with him. His face was all about confusion. He cleared his throat.

            "I'm your father's secretary." He slowly answered.

            "Why does he need a secretary?" Krystal asked, with the monotone voice.

            "To take care of his things..." He raised an eyebrow.

            "What kind of things do you take care of?"

            "Krystal, I don't thi—What's wrong with you? I was explaining you this exercise, you—"

            "What kind of things do you take care of?" She repeated.

            "I can't answer you."

            "Why?"

            "Because I can't." He strictly said, getting up. "If you don't want my help, then I'm out of here."

 

            He left the room, closing it. Krystal knew he wouldn't answer her so easily, she knew this was going to take long. Maybe longer than she expected. Krystal sighed, puffing up her cheeks. She gave up on trying to go the exercises and grabbed her "Learn Korean" book, to train her writing.

           

           

*

 

 

            "This is samgyupsal." Amber said, as the waiter prepared the table with a grill plate and some bowls with raw meat and vegetables. "This is pretty popular and is usually eaten while drinking soju, alcohol. But since we are underaged, that's out of question."

           

            Amber decided to invite Krystal for dinner, as to teach her about Korean food. They were in a traditional restaurant, all light-wooden, just like Krystal's house.

           

            "I'm not underaged."

           

            Jack was dragged along to this. He didn't know Amber at all so he couldn't trust her, he couldn't let Krystal wander around alone and harshly scolded her bodyguards when he heard she had already been with Amber a few times before, even after knowing she was just Krystal's classmate and that she was helping her to get used to and know about Korean Culture.

           

            "But you're driving." Krystal said, while helping Amber placing the pork belly on the grill.

            "I was just stating I wasn't underaged."

            "And I was just stating you were driving." Krystal sighed, glancing at him. "Seriously, did you really have to come?" Amber smirked, listening to their childish chat.

            "Of course." He sat correctly and fixed his really expensive dark blue suit. "Why? Don't you like it that I'm here?" He tried to speak pompously and smiled at Krystal.

            "No, I hate it." She turned her back to him and faced Amber, who was busy cooking the meat and the vegetables. "I'm sorry I had to bring this idiot along." She rolled her eyes.

            "This idiot is the one who's paying the dinner, so be careful with your words or you won't eat tonight." Krystal glared at him and then shrugged.

           

            Amber grabbed a leaf of lettuce and, with her chopsticks, picked a piece of meat and some grilled vegetables and then folded the lettuce leaf, making it look like some kind of package.

           

            "Here." Amber handed her the little package. Krystal looked at her without knowing what to do. "Say 'ah'."

           

            Krystal did as Amber said and she popped it into , in one shot. Krystal was surprised by the big amount of food, but munched it anyway. Soon her face started to change to a disgusted expression. Jack laughed, but Amber looked worried.

                       

            "What? It's not good?" Amber hurriedly folded one for her and ate it. Krystal looked like she wanted to throw up. "It's good, why that face? I'm good when it comes to cooking." Amber said, arrogantly but playfully, while mixing the sauce on the grill plate.

            "This is..." Krystal hardly swallowed. "... horrible." Amber glared at her, clearly offended. "Wait, that's not it, it's just... strange. I'm not used to it, that's all." Amber laughed as she sees her friend trying to take back what she had said.

            "I'm not angry, I was kidding!" Amber shook her head, smiling and filling another lettuce leaf for Krystal. "One more, here."

 

            Krystal wanted to be the one feeding herself, since she felt a bit uncomfortable, but once again did as she was told. Jack cleared his throat, to get their attention.

           

            "Can I taste it?"

            "Sure." Amber said, pointing with her chopsticks to the grill. Jack stared at her. Amber returned the stare for a while, until she, unwilling, prepared one for him. She handed it to him.        

            "Aren't you feeding me?" Krystal looked at him, shocked.

            "You must be kidding me." Amber laughed and placed the lettuce package on the table.

            "Why do I—"

            "Aish, shut up and eat it." Krystal stuffed his mouth with the samgyupsal and laughed. Amber did the same.

           

            Jack felt bad for having two girls not much younger than him laughing at himself, but at the same time he felt relieved to see a genuine laugh coming out from Krystal, something he hadn't seen in weeks.

 

 


 

 

 

A/N: I'm extremly sorry if you find any misspells in this chapter. I'm actually really tired at the moment, but I felt the need to post it for you, can't make you wait more than this!

Another thing that I'm deeply sorry for is the lack of update. I took too long to update. But I have excuses! I've been really tired and school is driving me crazy. Even on the first week of holidays I'll spend it working for a documentary, I'm done, really.

 

I hope you like this chapter and thank you for waiting! :)

See you~