Chapter 14

집 - Home

~

 



    Krystal waited around half an hour, before stepping out of her room. She glanced at both sides of the corridor to make sure Jack was no-where to be seen — he had said he was going to have a few drinks at the hotel's lounge, — and then tip-toed until Amber's room door, right in front of hers.
    She lightly knocked once and waited. Nothing happened. She leaned in and glued her hear against the hotel door, facepalming afterwards, realizing it was probably a soundproof door. She knocked again, stronger, and held tight onto her backpack full of groceries.    
    Few moments later, the door moved, opened by a very messy-haired Amber in a baggy shirt and slim training trousers.
    
    "Oh, were you sleeping?" Krystal whispered.
    "Why are you whispering?" Amber said in a harsh voice.

    Krystal was taken aback: she had never heard that tone before in Amber, but she had also never seen that face/expression in Amber's semblance. She was blocking Krystal from entering, but she walked past her either way. She put down her backpack on one of the padded chairs and walked back to close the door, Amber never leaving where she was standing. Krystal locked the door — she had no idea of why she did it, either way — and turned to Amber.
    
    "Did something happen?" She inquired.
    Amber looked away. "No." Her voice cracked.
    Krystal frowned as she walked to the chair and opened the backpack. "Here," She threw Amber a bag of Cheetos. Amber eyed her curiously. "I stole them from the bar downstairs." Amber raised her eyebrow. "Okay, I put it on Jack's bill. Hopefully he doesn't notice, he went to have a few drinks." Amber was still staring at Krystal, with the pack on her hand. Krystal raised an inviting hand and nodded once: "Eat it."
    
    Amber stayed silent for some moments; the silence between them wasn't awkward not tiring at all, it was comfortable, needed.
    They both sat on Amber's bed, its owner mindlessly eating her Cheetos and Krystal looking at her all long. She sighed as she laid herself on the bed, randomly throwing and playing with her legs on the air.
    
    Amber was the first one to break the silence, after a good half an hour. "What are you doing?" She choked on her food as she laughed; not the usual laugh though.
    Krystal went back up, sitting again. "Feeling better?" She glanced at her. "I'm sorry, I'm not good at making people feel better..."
    Amber gazed earnestly at Krystal. "Thank you," She said as she turned back to her pack of cheetos.
    "U-Uh—I-I brought chocolate too." Krystal jumped from the bed and hopped to grab the backpack, sitting back on the edge of the bed. "Chocolate is the best whenever I'm sad."
    It took a while for Amber to speak. She put away her Cheetos and laid on the bed, grabbing one of the pillows and hugging it. "When are you sad?" She asked in a calm, interested voice.
    Krystal felt herself blend in with the family-like ambience. "Sometimes."
    "Why?" Amber asked right away, but not in a rushed tone.
    Krystal also grabbed the other pillow and curled up in a fetal position, holding onto the pillow and facing Amber. She thought of those first days since she had arrived Korea, when the only people she could talk to were her bodyguards and Jack, and when she felt homesick, missing her Father and all the maids that raised her, back in America; She also found herself thinking of those days when Amber had suddenly stopped talking to her, when they were upset for no apparent reason (maybe there was one...) — those were some sad days, days that Krystal would have just walked around, immersed in related thoughts.
    She looked at Amber, that was staring at the ceiling, waiting for her answer, and sighed. "Because of my father... and," she had to say it, she couldn't hide it: "because..." she cleared , "because of you." She couldn't help it, she was way too honest with herself and the others around her.
    Amber moved her head to glance at her, ataraxia all over her face.
    Krystal wouldn't look at her now, she was the one who was staring at the ceiling now, but for other purposes — avoiding purposes. "Of course—" This wasn't like her, since when was her speech so troubled when speaking her mind? She shook her head. "Of course I would have gotten sad, you were my only friend here, and my only friend for some reason had stopped talking to me, so I would obviously— react that way. You see," she glanced at a very attentive Amber, "I never... I never had a real friend before, besides Jack —and that was only because he was brother—, so... losing—almost losing everything was shocking for me." She let out a nervous chuckle. "But we're—ugh, why is it so hard?!—we're okay now."

    Amber tenderly smiled at Krystal's clumsy personality, and sighed in relief—why relief? She rolled over into an almost fetal position and faced Krystal, fearlessly gazing at her, locking eyes with her being. She didn't want her to get the wrong idea (—if there was a wrong idea, to begin with—), she just wanted to spend time in a comfortable, friendly way. Friends would do this, right? She too, had no idea what was it like to have close friends. All of her friends always had second intentions with her, always ended up hooking up with her. Even the countless (okay, they are countable: 5;) girlfriends she had had before weren't considered friends; at least she never did so, she used to, though, but always ended up disappointed, hurt — that made her grow up, in a way.
    Krystal, although hesitant and nervous at first, also looked at her, supporting her head with her hand.
   Both spent the rest of the night like this, often speaking to each other, about each other, letting the other know more about herself, sharing emotions they would ocasionally feel, ..., talking, only; until they eventually fell asleep.



    "Come on, come on!"
    
    Krystal ran to the entrance of Everland, the theme park, as soon as they parked the car. Amber ran to catch up to her, while Jack just acted like an old man and patiently walked, far back from them, eyes glued to his mobile phone.
    
    "Are you coming inside with us?" Krystal asked him as he (finally!) arrived beside them.

    He looked up from the screen; Amber looked away — she had been avoiding him ever since they saw each other, this morning, at the Breakfast Salon of the hotel.
        
    He sighed. He wanted to go. And have fun, like they were going to have. After all, who doesn't like theme parks? Especially when twenty-two? "Yeah."
    "Okay, then we'll meet you here at what time?"
    He expected this. "8PM?"
    "Okay! See you!"

    Both Krystal and Amber went to the ticket booth, already discussing whether who should pay.
    
    "I said I'll pay, what's the big deal?"
    "But you're already paying our stay here!" Amber was feeling bad. "Besides, my mother gave me money for this..."
    "Listen, let's do this: I pay the tickets and you pay inside, how's that?"
    Amber thought for a while, before nodding and smiling. "Deal."
    "I brought a camera! We have to take a lot of pictures." She waved the camera at Amber. "What time is it?" Krystal asked as she arranged her bag.
    "Exactly... 10AM."
    "Nice! We have more than enough time to visit all of them, right?"
    "Seeing how it's almost empty, I guess! Whoa—This is huge!"
    "You've never been here? Even though it's still inside of Seoul?"
    "Only on a field trip during Middle School," Amber shook her head as she eyed a map of the park. "I barely remember."
    "Oh look, oh look! We should totally go on that one!"
    
    Krystal pulled Amber to the empty line of a huge roller coaster ride.
    
    "This is not the biggest one of the park, I heard the Europe Adventure has a bigger one."
    "We have to go there, then!"
    
    And like that they spent the whole day, happily running around, smiling, laughing, even screaming!, holding hands, hugging, taking pictures... forgetting who they were as to enjoy the moment to the fullest. They weren't conscious about it, but each of them was sure that this was one of the best days in their whole life, and that more days like these were definitely waiting for them in the near future.

 


A/N: Merry Christmas! Here's a chapter, my present for you~ :)

I'm a bit disappointed in the last part, I realized I at writing dates and romantic scenes... Have to work more in that! Must read a looooot~

Nonetheless, I hope you like it! :)