Chapter 11

집 - Home

~



    "Two tickets for "The Man from Nowhere", please."
    "Night session?"
    "No, afternoon session, please."
    "Oh! Aren't you Amber?"

    Amber looked up until her eyes met with the worker at the theatre. She had to squint her eyes, but even as she tried to look better at her, she had no idea about who she was.
    
    "I'm Amber but... I'm sorry, I can't remember where we could ha—"
    "You used to date my bestfriend!" Amber choked on her own spit but kept silent. The worker girl titled her head. "Oh, you don't remember...?" She smiled. Of course Amber wouldn't remember. How many were only this year? "Min Hee, Min Hee."
    "Oh." Amber hid a mocking smirk, the attention . She looked back at Krystal who was in the entrace of the theatre, looking around.
    "Your new girlfriend?"
   "How much is it?" It's needless to say the girl was starting to get on Amber's nerves with so much uninteresting and personal life-related questions. "But no, she's not my girlfriend. We're friends, friends. Just friends.
    The girl handed Amber the tickets through the slot. "Enjoy your movie! See you around!" Amber glanced back at her and she had a wide smile on.
    "Yeah."
    
    Amber turned and walked back at Krystal with a confused look on her face. Was that girl even trying—? She laughed and gave out one of the tickets to Krystal.
    
    "What? Did something funny happened?" Krystal looked behind Amber before accepting what she was giving to her. "Thanks." She mumbled.
    "Just some—" Amber thought twice about what she was going to say. "—Nothing, really."
    Krystal raised her eyebrow and slowly tilted her head while staring at Amber.
    "It's nothing, God, stop staring at me!" Amber laughed, looking away from Krystal's intense stare.
    Krystal smiled, "Okay, if you say so..."
    "We still have some time before the movie starts, aren't you hungry?"
    "We just had lunch." Krystal shrugged and saved her ticket inside her wallet.
    "We could always have some ice cream... Please?" Amber begged her, seeing how Krystal wouldn't easily accept. She pushed her to the gelato shop.
    Krystal sighed, supressing a laugh. "Fine, choose whatever you like."
    Amber glanced at her as she walked to the shop. "You don't want any?"
    Krystal bit her lip. It was ice cream, how could she deny, even though it wasn't particularly hot nor warm outside? "Of course I want."
    
    Amber took a few steps back and grabbed Krystal's wrist. Wrist, because they were friends.Friends can do that, right? Krystal lightly shook her head, shaking off her useless, disturbing thoughts and let herself being pushed by Amber. She bent over the glass balcony and looked around every single delicious-looking ice cream flavor. Krystal did the same and with a finger on her lips, that carelessly slipped to her chin, she thougth about which one would be the best for her. Amber glanced at her and silently chuckled, cute.
    
    "Hmm, I want chocolate."
    "Only chocolate?" Krystal looked at her. "I thought we were going to ask for a bunch of different flavors."
    Amber was taken aback. "That's... expensive—Ouch!"
    Krystal had hit on her arm. "Oh, just choose whatever you like." She turned to the boy behind the counter, who was eyeing them, waiting for them to make their order. "I want one ball of chocolate, one of milk, caramel... as for the coating, uhm, I want, uh, cookie ships, smashed hazelnut and... toffee." She finished with a smile, a bit embarassed of her poor Korean, especially when it comes to ice cream flavors. "Now you." She glanced at Amber.
    Amber was with her eyes wide open. "You're going to get so fat..."
    "Do I look like I care?" Krystal shrugged.
    Amber turned to the boy, "Make it double."
    "Hah!" Krystal laughed.


    They sat down with the huge cup of glass, the biggest Krystal had ever seen, and each one took their own spoon. They sat down in front of each other. Krystal was the first one to taste it.
    
    "So cold!" She said, with full. "But so good!"
    Amber followed her and in no time both were appreciating the ice cream to the maximum, ocasionally glancing at each other and smiling. Suddenly Krystal choked. "Are you okay?" Amber couldn't help but laugh at her, then, she handed her a tissue.
    "Those guys won't stop staring at us." She took the tissue. "Ugh, so embarassing."
    Amber glanced back and just as Krystal said, there were two guys on a near table looking at them. Amber turned to Krystal. "It's okay, ignore them."
    "I would, but they are walking in our direction... They are coming! Closer, closer." She whispered.
    "Hey girls!" Two boys, not much older than both of them, made their way to the girls and sat on the other two free chairs.
    Amber sighed.
    "Looking good today."
    "Thanks." Amber immediately shot a glare at Krystal, to which she answered with a bewildered look. What?, she mouthed.
    The guy on Krystal's left suddenly put his hand on her leg. "Say—"
    "—Hands off." Amber growled at the same time Krystal slapped hard on his hand, taking it off from her leg. Both stared at each other before  breaking in a laugh.
    The boys were taken aback. "Whoa—seriously, that hurt."
    "She's wild, bro, both of them!"
    "No, but tha—"
    "Just go away." Amber shooed them with the plastic spoon as she got up from her seat. She turned to Krystal, "The movie's about to start anyway. Let's go!"
    
    Krystal grabbed the ice cream and followed Amber. As they neared the theater, Amber turned to Krystal, who had been silentely matching her steps with the taller's.

    "It's all—" She held tight onto the plastic spoon with her teeth and with both free hands she pulled Krystal's uniform skirt a bit lower than it was, now the skirt's edge hitting her knees. "—because of this."
    "What are you doing?!" Krystal took a few steps back, but since she was with bothhands busy, she couldn't do nothing about it. Instead, she just started to make weird movements with her legs to put the skirt back on its place. "It's falling, help me!"
    Amber only laughed. At her. "I'm going to buy you a long skirt on your birthday, when is it?" She took the ice cream cup from her hands.
    "October," she pouted as she tried to get rid of her spoon; Amber held onto it. "24." Krystal arranged her uniform and as she finished, she put her hands on her hips.
    "Oh, there's still a long way to go... Remind me around September." Amber laughed with full of caramel. "Come on, let's go inside."
    "Shouldn't we buy popcorn?"
    "What, ice cream is not enough?"
    "I just thought cinema without popcorns—"
    "Just shut up." Amber fed her a big spoonful of ice cream, quieting her. Krystal glared for a few seconds, but then happily ate it.
    
    The room was almost empty; it was an afternoon session during the week, who would come? They sat on the best seats and enjoyed the movie.
    
    "What's yours?" Krystal suddenly asked.
    Amber glanced away from the screen, "Mine? My what?"
    "Birthday, I mean." She bit her lip and looked away from Amber's way-too-close face.
    "Oh." She chuckled and turned back to the screen. "How did you even come up with that... September 18."
    "Hah, we are one month apart."
    "I'm older than you by one month, you should respect me." Krystal's mobile phone started vibrating out of nowhere.
    "Yeah, right." Krystal moved around and took the phone from her bag. She had a text. She frowned as she opened it.
    
    From: Stupid Jack
    Jung Soo Jung, you better tell me where you are right now.


    Krystal sighed. Amber glanced at her. "Who's that?"
    "Jack."
    "Oh, that guy from the other day? Uh, your Dad's secretary?"
    "Yeah, him."
    
    To: Stupid Jack
    At the movies.
    
    From: Stupid Jack
    What are you doing at the movies?!


    Amber chuckled and Krystal looked up, surprised Amber was looking. She shrugged.
    
    "Yeah, well, he's not the brightest person..."
    "I see." Amber nodded.
    
    To: Stupid Jack
    ...
    I don't know, what do you do at the movies?
    
    From: Stupid Jack
    Don't be a smartass. Why didn't you tell me you were going to the movies? I'll be picking you up, where are you?
    
    To: Stupid Jack
    The movie didn't even finish yet, why are you coming?
    
    From: Stupid Jack
    Just tell me already. Why did you go there alone?

    
    "You're missing a lot of the movie..." Amber quietly said, her eyes glued to the screen.
    "You're right, let me just aswer him."
    
    To: Stupid Jack
    Who told you I'm alone? I'm at Cheongdam-dong shopping. Now stop sending me texts, I'm watching a movie.
    
    From: Stupid Jack
    Am I supposed to know where that is? With whom are you with?

    
    "Ugh, so annoying."
    "I bet. Just ignore him, pay attention to the movie, it's pretty good. That actor there is one of the best here in Korea."
    "Really?"
    "Never heard of Won Bin?"
    "Not... really." Krystal tilted her head, smiling.
    
    It was a bit awkward when Krystal moved her hand to the arm rest at the same time as Amber did. She immediately took it back, a bit embarassed.
    
    Amber sighed. "It's just a hand, there's no problem..."
    Krystal looked up to see a slightly hurt Amber. "Sorry."
    "Don't be. Just... you don't need to avoid me, it's not like I'm going to eat you or something..."
    
    Krystal slowly moved her hand to the arm rest and placed it next to Amber's. Uncomfortable was written all over Krystal's face. Amber sighed, and took her arm from it.
    
    "It's okay, you don't need—"
    "Just..." Amber gave her a small smile. "Just watch the movie."
    
    Krystal was even more uncomfortable now. Something was squeezing her heart, leaving her... sad. She bit her lip and puffed up her cheeks, trying to divert herself from reality, focusing on the movie.


 


 

A/N: Thank you for reading! Hope you like it :)