CHAPTER 4 - MET WITH THE PAST -

IF WE CAN STAY LONGER, LET'S DO IT

1 week.. 2 weeks.. Everything was okay as in that period, Jay kept calling them. He told his little family about everything, about his work and about how Seoul kept being amazing for him. Always amazing. And Hyosung couldn’t help but thanking God for the luck her husband got.

“Mommy?” Hyobeom once again spoke in English, totally being poisoned by his father’s attitude. “Yes, Hyobeom-ah?” Hyosung walked toward him with her cell phone in her grip. “What’s daddy doing in Seoul? Why we don’t follow him to Seoul?” Hyobeom innocently asked. “Daddy is working there, honey.. We can’t follow him, because the job is hard..” Hyosung smiled.

Actually, she wasn’t very sure about the answer she gave. She actually couldn’t even understand why Jay left them at her mother’s house while he was leaving. “Maybe daddy wants us to be safe with grandma?” Hyobeom tried to give a better answer, made Hyosung shocked. “Yes, honey.. That’s too..” She ruffled Hyobeom’s hair, admired how cute her boy that moment. And how clever her little boy, now she wished Jay was there to hear Hyobeom’s wise words.

“Mommy.. I want to call daddy.. I miss him..” Hyobeom tugged Hyosung’s shirt, pointing to her cell phone. “You want to talk to daddy?” Hyosung repeated the question. “Yes please, mommy..” Hyobeom said with spoiled voice. “Alright.. Just for 5 minutes okay? Daddy is so busy in Seoul.. Promise to talk shortly?” Hyosung said, ready to call her husband. “Promiseeee..” Hyobeom waved his pinky finger in front of Hyosung’s face, he couldn’t stop grinning.

“Okay okay.. I get it.. Here here, talk to daddy,” Hyosung gave him the cell phone, and then after said “Hello?” in front of Hyosung, Hyobeom ran to other room. Hyosung chuckled by his action. “Totally a resemblance of Jay oppa..” She murmured. She followed Hyobeom to the other room, watching how her little boy whining, complaining, angry and kept asking his dad with confusing questions.

“MOMMY!! DADDY IS A MEANIE!!” Hyobeom suddenly shouted, surprised Hyosung who was leaning on the door frame. “What are you talking about sweetie? Give the phone to mommy,” And Hyobeom did it, he was pouting and he didn’t seem happy either. “Hey, baby-ah.. What did you say to him?” Hyosung directly said to Jay, winked to Hyobeom who was still pouting.

“I just said that I can’t go home for his birthday this year and he was yelling that I’m mean,” Jay’s voice was heard from the other side. Hyosung froze. Hyobeom’s birthday wasn’t that near, it was still 4 months to go. “Are you sure you can’t be back for his birthday?” Hyosung asked, not sure how should she react with the statement.

“Yeah..I can’t go home on his birthday.. Give him my apologize okay? And chagiya.. I’m sorry, but I have to hang the phone now. I love you, Hyosung.. Bye!”  Before Hyosung could answer it, the line had dead. She then turned her attention to Hyobeom who was sitting disappointedly. “What’s wrong baby ah? You’re disappointed because daddy can’t come to your birthday?” Hyosung took him to sit on her lap. Hyobeom stayed silent. “Ah.. So that’s the problem eoh? Daddy asked you to forgive him, baby.. Can you do it for him?” Hyosung softly said, combing Hyobeom’s hair. “Why? Why daddy can’t come to my birthday?” Hyobeom’s voice cracked.

“Because daddy is busy.. You must understand the situation okay? Mommy is sorry too.. But we can’t do anything to make him comeback now..” Hyosung explained carefully, and in every words, she was getting curious. Why Jay couldn’t comeback for Hyobeom’s birthday? He would comeback once or twice right? Or he wouldn’t?  Those questions killed her slowly.

“You’re crying..” Hyobeom touched her cheeks, wetted his fingers with Hyosung’s tears. “Ah.. It’s nothing, darling.. Come on, Let’s go for a walk, okay?” Hyosung grabbed Hyobeom’s hands and walked together to a park near their house.

***

“How’s your life now, Jay?” His partner patted his back. “Totally cool~” Jay grinned, he was holding music papers. “Looks like you really love it for being a music producer eoh?” The ‘partner’ asked once again. “Of course. It’s a dream I couldn’t get before. I went to the top too fast,” Jay giggled. “Nice to know that you’re happy. And oh! How’s your wife?” “I think she’s fine..” Jay answered, he felt an uncomfortable feeling wrapped his heart.

“You must give an eye on her once, don’t you think?” The partner smiled, knowing very well how workaholic the man in front of him. “I will.. Thank you for the advice,” “Sure! I’m going oh? Call me if you need something!” And thus, he left Jay alone in the music studio, let Jay to think about his life out there.

“Shall I? Is she okay with her mom? Will she keep being loyal on me?” He mumbled to himself, looking through the transparent door, watching how silence the night was. “Do you miss me?” He whispered. The cold air hit him directly, made him shivering. He was scared if Hyosung would make a decision to let go of him. He could never accept that fact, not ever once.

He needed to make sure everything once his jobs had finished.

***

The weather seemed to be friendly with them that day.  But Hyosung’s mom surely wasn’t in good feeling because she looked so gloomy for Hyosung. She didn’t talk even for a word. She went silent all day, made Hyosung panic in every seconds she looked at her mom. She wasn’t in a good mood either, she was still upset with Jay’s decision before.

“Umma? Are you okay?” Hyosung finally couldn’t prevent herself from asking. “Hyosung, sit here. I have some questions to be asked to you. Come here, dear.” Hyosung’s umma answered, her eyes weren’t shining as usual. “Alright..” Hyosung sat beside her mom, her heart was pounding faster, worrying what her mom would ask her.

“So, Hyosung. How is Jay?” She frowned. “Doing fine I think, umma.” Hyosung shortly answered. “What do you mean by you think?” Hyosung’s mom replied, she had a straight face like she had known the answer. “Uh.. I meant.. I’m not really sure. I have a hard communication with Jay.” “Oh.. Bad thing then..” They both went silent along with Hyosung’s mom honest answer.

“Umma.. Do you want to talk about my relationship with Jay now?” “I have never talked about that..” “But you obviously want to talk about it..” Hyosung argued back, Hyosung’s mom’s cheeks blushed hard. “Oh mom... Look at the way you’re blushing,” Hyosung chuckled. The tense faded slowly, changed by a warm atmosphere.

“I know.. You’re not in a good condition with Jay.. And it makes me worry.. You and him? Ah.. I should just rest in my room, planning for a trip to visit all of my daughters and look what I’m doing now..” Hyosung’s mom words stabbed Hyosung’s heart sharply. Shock was all she could feel. “Are you regretting my marriage with Jay, mom?” Hyosung asked,  her vision  became a bit blur by her tear. “I’m not regretting it that much. Just a little, I swear.” Her mom talked honestly, not hiding her feeling and it made her uncomfortable actually. “Mom!!” Hyosung whined, couldn’t stand for her mom’s attitude anymore.

“Well, mom..If you allowed me to marry Changsun, maybe things would be different.” “Whom Changsun?” “Lee Joon, his stage name, my ex-boyfriend,” “THAT Changsun..” Hyosung’s mom mumbled. “What’s wrong with him eoh? He is rich and handsome, don’t ever forget that he still loves me very much,” “He does?” “Yeah mom.. He had been trying ways to be able to meet me behind Jay’s back,” Hyosung shrugged.

“Don’t ever do that, Hyosung, never ever. I didn’t teach you to cheat behind your husband’s back,” She warned Hyosung, and Hyosung only could nod. Why should she argue anyway? “Oh.. I have to pick up Hyobeom from his school now. I’m leaving mom!” Hyosung greeted her mom, ready to step out from the room before she went back again to her mom, shouting “And don’t ever regret my marriage anymore, mom!”

Hyosung walking to Hyobeom’s school building when her eyes caught a glimpse of Hyobeom outside the building, eating a cone of ice-cream with a stranger.  Hyosung gasped, walking faster to their direction. “Hyobeom!” She called him, to attract Hyobeom’s attention.

“Umma!” She was panting hard when she already stood in front of Hyobeom and the stranger. She held onto her left chest, feeling the heartbeat of her heart. Pounding so fast, the blood was surely rushing fast too. She lifted up her face and her gaze met with the stranger’s. His eyes were so small, probably because he was smiling, his body was well-built, just like Jay’s. And looked familiar for Hyosung’s eyes.

“Hello, Hyosung-ah. It’s been a while eoh?” The stranger waved his hands happily, still with smile on his face. Hyosung was still silent, she blinked her eyes for times, trying to discover who was the stranger in front of her. “Hyosung-ah??” The stranger spoke again, worried now on his face. “Umma!!” Hyobeom’s voice finally could bring her back again to the reality.

“Ah.. Uh.. Annyeong.. I’m sorry because Hyobeom has made you busy taking care of him,” Hyosung bowed, apologized. “Hyobeom-ah! Next time you shall just wait for umma and not playing with strangers. You may disturb their schedule, arraseo?” Hyosung talked, her confusion seemed to disappear as her anger toward Hyobeom came out. “Ah.. It’s okay Hyosung-ah.. Hyobeom was a nice kid, he behaves well.. Seems like Jay and you teach him well,” The stranger talked again, made Hyosung turning around to him.

“Excuse me, but I don’t know who are you and what your name is. But how could you know my husband and my name? It’s a little bit annoying with your informal talking too,” Hyosung blurt, made the stranger surprised before finally a small giggle escaped from his thin lips.

“Let me introduce my self with Hyobeom’s help. Now, Hyobeom, could you help ahjussi? Ahjussi have told you ahjussi’s name right? Please tell your mom about my name,” The stranger was kneeling in front of Hyobeom who was eating his ice-cream while looking back at the adults. “Could you do it, Hyobeom?” The stranger asked again, Hyosung only frowned, wondering how special the person in front of her is until he could be so confident about himself.

“Sure Joon ahjussi!!” Hyobeom shouted happily, his cheeks became redder than before because he shouted. Hyosung stunned after heard the name, she kept whispering that she was just being too paranoid. But when her son spoke, her heart seemed to stop beating.

 “Umma, this uncle is looking for the girl he loves. This uncle name is Lee Changsung but people knowing him as Lee Joon. Ah ! And umma, he’s a celebrity! He said that he once was a member of a group named MBLAQ! Do you know that group umma?” Hyobeom was still having that happy face on his face while Joon was still in front of him, kneeling. All Hyosung could do was gasping, couldn’t believe what happened to her. She wanted to run away, hiding herself from Joon but that would never happen.

Hyosung’s body went limp. Her vision was blurring and the last thing she heard was Joon’s sweet voice running through her body. And Hyobeom’s yell made it even worse.