Part I - Trailing their way towards Tragedy: 2nd Chapter

One Does Not Simply Mess With Love

 

The plane took twenty minutes preparing to take flight and by that time Amber had – for now – given up on trying to figure out those strange feelings of familiarity she had. She had opened Wuthering Heights and was now completely caught in it, following every single letter excited and interested.

Amber was so focus that she didn’t noticed the plane started to move. When the plane moved more noticeably she jumped remembering of how scared she was of flying. The book slipped out of her hands and hit Henry on the knee waking him up. He looked at her and saw her clutching her fists tightly along with her eyes that were pressed against each other. Amber was biting her lower lip hard, completely terrified; when she was little she had been in a plane crash and survived but the fear remained with her.

Suddenly around her fists she felt warmth and her eyes snapped open locating the source of heat – it was Henry. He was smiling and grabbing onto her hand tightly. The plane was still on the ground so that was nothing much but as soon it lifted Amber’s hands covered her head protecting her ears. The only thing Henry could see was a girl shivering from fear; he reached her and brought her to his chest, hugging her and saying soothing words while the plane was still trying to conquer the skies.

Amber only stopped shivering when the whole plane found stability causing Henry to let her go. She got away from him as much as she could but the awkwardness was palpable taking the role of everything that filled the air between them. Amber got up and excused herself to the bathroom so she could get rid of some of that embarrassment and Henry didn’t even protest – he would love some minutes alone, too.

It was only when Henry was all alone that he spotted the book right beside his foot. He picked it up and read the cover that said Wuthering Heights. A smile crept up his face when he remember how much fun he had reading it. Now who could it be…?  Henry opened the book and saw the name ‘Amber Liu’ written there with Chinese characters followed by regular English letters. He was about to get up and ask around when the girl he had just helped got to her sit and pointed to the book.

“Oh… that’s… mine.”

“Oh, it is? I didn’t know. It’s a great book, I loved it. It’s full of confused and desolating feelings. I think Heathcliff’s story is so cruel it’s actually exasperating to one’s mind. One can only take so much cruelty and he took it all. Catherine and Heathcliff’s love is destructive. They ruin themselves and the people around them….” Henry looked up and sighed. Amber looked at him with wide open eyes.

“I’m sorry; I’m probably being a spoiler.” He gave her back the book decided to end the conversation right away but then he heard her sniffing so he looked to his side, to her, and found Amber looking at him.

“Hum, thank you for, you know what…” He smiled widely and gave her out his hand.

“I’m Henry Lau and you are…” he tried recalling the name he read. “Amber Liu?”

“Yes.” Amber smiled shaking his hand.

 

After that they wouldn’t stop talking. Henry told her about his family and she told him about hers, about vacations, friends, boys and girls who had broken their hearts. When they talked about their future projects they both found out they loved music and wanted to take a chance with it.

“Seriously? You’re not messing with me are you?” Henry denied it and Amber squeal delighted. “You are in SM University too? What are the odds?”

“Yeah, what are the odds?” they chuckled and fell back in silence, thinking about the coincidence. Then Henry suddenly jumped and started to look for something in his bag. Amber was curious but kept quiet. “In what campus are you?” Henry was still looking in his bag for something.

“Hum, I’m in the… L campus, I guess. South L. Why are you asking?”

“I’m in the South L campus too.” He was looking at some paper – the same sent to Amber with the direction to find the University and about the campus among the rules there. “My room is M18 and yours?” Amber searched inside her handbag and found the paper. It said ‘F18’.

“I guess we’re going to be front door neighbours.”

Destiny behaves like a kid: he loves to play…