Chapter 7 - Peppermint Tea

Just Do It

Somewhere on the Agency's practice room...

"HYUNG! hungry hungryy!!" Chanyeol whined beside Suho as he showed an aegyo face. The long hours of practice just made him feel more and more exhausted. Not only Chanyeol, but also Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Sehun and Kai pouted for they haven't had any meals since early morning. "Arasseo arasseo! I'm gonna talk to manager hyung. You guys keep practicing!" Suho finally gave up then decided to find the manager hyung. As he left, none of his team member continued practicing, instead they laid their body on the floor, throat exhausting. "Aish! My stomach is hurting......" Baekhyun clutched his belly as he rolled his body back and forth on the floor. "It's burning!!" Baekhyun acted as if his stomach was so empty until it burned itself. "Ow! Baekhyunnie hyung!" Sehun joined the fun. He soon rolled beside Baekhyun and clutched his stomach too. "How come manager hyung didn't let us eat? Ah....hungryyyyy!" Sehun pouted as his hands still clutched on his belly. "Ya! Stop fooling around!" Kyungsoo slightly kicked Sehun's with his bare foot. "If you keep rolling on the floor, you're wasting your last energy." Kyungsoo said as he laid his back on the mirror-wall then straighten his legs. "Even Jongin isn't continuing practice." Chanyeol threw his small towel to Kai who was laying his body on the floor with his eyes shut. "I'm exhausted hyung." Kai said without opening his eyes.
"Kids!!!" The manager hyung finally appeared with boxes of chicken bulgogi. He hastily put down the boxes. "I thought you were practicing." His eyes leering at Baekhyun who hasn't moved an inch from his place—laying his back on the floor. "Hyung! How could we practice with empty stomach? I might swoon." Sehun swiftly exclaimed as he quickly opened the lunch box. "Anyway, I found a box of chocolate macaroons on dorm's dining table. It tasted so delicious!!" Manager hyung put his forefinger and thumb on his lips and made 'smooch' voice, "delicious!!"
Almost everyone in the room struck their stare on Manager hyung with eyes popping out. "YOU EAT ALL OF THOSE?" Chanyeol yelped out. "Hyung!!! That's our last snack..." Baekhyun whined as he pointed him with his chopsticks. "Omo! Why did you guys eat those yummy snacks without telling me first?" Manager hyung said in defense. "Because we know, you're gonna eat that all, hyung!" Kyungsoo bluntly said, still chewing his chicken.
"Aish, I'll buy you guys another. Where'd you get em?"
"Sehun's bestfriend made it for us." Kyungsoo said.
"Omo! You guys already had fans?" Manager hyung's eyes popped out.
"Ah, hyung! Jeongmal!!! She's my bestfriend." Sehun said, pissing off by how Manager hyung reacts.
"Ah, why don't you ask her to make another for us?" Suho said as he patted Sehun's back.
"YES, PLEASE!" Chanyeol and Baekhyun said in unison.
"Okay, I'll ask her." Sehun quickly nodded. He already intended to do so. But, this time he won't be the one who's gonna call Nami. Sehun giggled under his breath as his eyes slightly gazed at Kyungsoo.


***


Nami has been flipping her magazine pages for nearly two hours. She had nothing to do and was extremely boring with the tv programs. This was how boring her summer holidays without having side-job.  Yeah, since her sister’s death, Nami’s parents never let Nami to have any side jobs. To them who only has Nami as their only daughter, they didn’t wanna make another mistake for letting Nami out of their sight. So, they have been working their asses off to fulfil Nami’s needs and wants. 

Nami’s eyes nailed at one of the ad on her magazine.

“Need a waitress for the new cafe in downtown of Seoul.
Send your CV to: [email protected] or simply come and apply yourself. We’ll be waiting! “

Five minutes have passed and Nami’s eyes still scanned through the ad, words by words. Her minds wandered whether she should give it a try or just simply ignore the wanting to have a job. Yet her wanting to try having a side-job was getting bigger.
“Let me try. Only this once.” Nami whispered under her breath. Actually, never in her life she ever disobeyed her parents. Only this time, she couldn’t bear the wanting. Despite the risk of getting caught with her Mom and Dad.

Swiftly, Nami slipped into her summer dress then applied light make up on her face. She slung her red bag on her shoulder then put inside the magazine she just read. Before she walked out of the door, she looked herself first on the mirror. “Guts are all I need now...” She paused then inhaled deeply, “...and luck!”


***


The streets of Seoul in the summer are always full of people. Mixing in different colours, they synchronize in harmony of playful looks. In spite of summer’s hot weather, maybe this is the feel of summer; light, happy, and colourful.
Nami slightingly stepped through the streets of Seoul, looking for the café. She actually enjoyed doing this thing the most. She had the chance to explore new people and of course new impression. 
After hopped out from the last bus she take, Nami’s turned her head to both left and right. Looking around the street, she felt that she once came here. “Omo,” she gasped. This is the café Sehun and I have ever been to. Nami finally stopped her walk to stand in front of the café. It looked just as crowd as the last time she checked in. It was just more colorful because of the daylight. Nami looked up on her magazine then found out that it was the café she ever been to.
Nami hastily entered the café, making its bell rang. Just like it was, a waitress came and greets her.
“Anything I can do, miss?” but this time, the waitress was more polite and beautiful.
“Oh, yes. I wanna ask whether there’s any job vacancy or not.” Nami said as she simply smile.
“Yes, there is. If you interested, you can meet our owner.”
“Oh, can I meet him? I want to apply for the job.”
“Of course! Wait a minute, okay?”
Nami just slightly nodded, indicating that she’d be waiting. The view inside the café wasn’t as cheering as the last time she was here. However, she liked this atmosphere better; mid-crowd mixed up with the smell of coffees, teas, and bakes. Between her thoughts, Nami managed to smell a scent of peppermint tea. It gradually boosted up her mood so she practically ready for the interview—If she got the chance to interview today.

“Excuse me,” the waitress tapped Nami’s shoulder. “You can meet him now.” She lead Nami’s way to the back of the café to meet the owner. Apparently, it wasn’t kitchen just like Nami has thought first for her interview. Instead the waitress showed Nami the backyard of the café. It was just a simple yet beautiful garden which filled by a lot of sunflowers.
“It’s beautiful.” She gasped.
“It indeed is.” A strange voice suddenly joined her thoughts.
“Omo!.” "Good Morning" Nami swiftly bowed to the person in front of her.
First thing Nami noticed from the man in front of her was his quirky looks. He looked like a man in his early 20. He was wearing glasses and denim shirt with… matching bowtie. He had a slight-messy dark-brown hair and enchanting eyes.
“Hello…” He bowed. “Sorry for startling you. I’m Yi Xing or you can call me Lay.” He offered his right hand.
“Nami. Moon Nami.” She followed suit.
“Are you gonna apply for the job?” Lay seemed to be a person who just hops to the point.
“Yes.” Nami briefly said.
“Okay. For me, CV doesn’t really important. As long as you can work diligently, you’ll be fine.”
“Yes, I absolutely can.” Nami gave Lay another brief answer as she made an ‘ok’ sign with her fingers.
“Alright then! You can start working by tomorrow. Let me show you around for now.” Lay said as he gestured Nami to follow him. “The ad of this job just came out today, I’m impressed that I already got a new employee on the first day.” Lay chuckled.

 

Lay showed Nami around the café. They checked on the kitchen and coffee counter which was two meters away. The kitchen placed on the back of the café, connected by a light wooden door. And for the coffee counter, it placed on the centre of the café so it could serve the consumer right away.
At the other side of the café there was a pretty big stage for a live band and singer to perform. Usually they have the band after 6pm or 5pm for Saturday and Sunday.
Honestly, most of the visitors of the café are people who crave for the important elements of life; music and foods. Well, at least for Nami, those two things are the most suitable words to describe her fondness in life. Nami was extremely happy with her choice to finally apply for the job. It may not be turn out just like she expected but at least she was dare to try it. “It’ll be fun.” She thought. What could be more fun to have a job in one of your favorite place?

“Okay, Nami. I guess you already mastered the room, right?” Lay asked, summing up the whole checking stuffs.
“Ne. So, I’ll start working by tomorrow.”
“Yep! Don’t be late, okay? Your shift starts at 1pm sharp.” Lay reminded her as he made a thumb.
“Arasseo!” Nami bowed then also made a thumb. She might just know Lay, but she already respected him. The atmosphere he gave to Nami was pretty comforting, despite the fact that Lay was her boss.
“Okay. I’ll be going then. See ya tomorrow.” Lay took off then disappeared behind the wooden door.
Nami suddenly felt a little awkward since she just realized that she knew none of the employees. As if on cue, a cheery girl beamed at her. “Hi! New employee? I’m Eunjoo.” The girl quickly bowed then waved at Nami.
“Yep, I'm Nami.” she followed suit.

After an hour of exchanging sort of profiles to Eunjoo, Nami felt her stomach just rumbled a noisy voice. As today was not her first day of working, so she decided to order a large plate of cheese fettuccini and peppermint tea.
“Omo!” Eunjoo who was serving Nami dishes and was about to sit in front of her suddenly startled.
“Is there something wrong?” Nami seemed curious with Eunjoo’s gaze so she followed Eunjoo’s eyes. Rather than knowing what made Eunjoo startled, Nami found the guy that she wanted the last to meet today.  “Why did I always meet Kyungsoo?” Nami mumbled, worrying about her image for finishing a large plate of pasta.
“You know him?” Eunjoo asked.
“Yep. He’s a friend of mine.” Nami tried to ignore the fact that Kyungsoo just noticed her there by turning her head to the front and feverishly bribed a large spoon of fettuccini.
“Ooo. Nami, I have to serve another order. I’ll talk to you later.” Just like a flash, Eunjoo already disappeared between the wooden doors, taking another meal to serve.

“Hi!”
The voice Nami knew a lot wasn’t startle her that much. She already guessed that the owner of this voice were gonna greet her as soon as possible.
“Oh, hi…” Nami tried to sound as surprising as ever. “…Kyungsooi!”
“Fancy meeting you here, Nami!” Kyungsoo took a step closer to Nami’s table as he let out his usual awkward smile.
“Yeah, not really. Since I believe we met a lot lately.” Just the more Nami wanted to feel annoy by his sudden appearance, Nami couldn’t even feel annoyed at all. Honestly, Kyungsoo’s pair of mesmerizing eyes which blends with his warm greet and smile only made Nami fell into a deeper feeling with him.
“Do I interrupt something?” Kyungsoo hastily asked.
“No, not at all.” Right Nami. You just said that he was the last man you wanted to meet. Now, you welcome him? Pabo! Pabo!!!
“What brings you here, then?”
“I… I just applied for a job in here.” Nami’s cheeks flushed in red, she was about to hide under the table for holding back her embarrassment.
“Whoa! It’s… really nice! I see you have met Lay, then.” Kyungsoo said just at the time his order came.

He ordered peppermint tea too. Hmmm, is it really a coincidence?

“Yes. He’s sort of a cool guy.” she slightly laughed. 
“I believe so. Anyway, when will you start working? Tomorrow?” Kyungsoo asked as he took a sip of his peppermint tea. Maybe it was too much if Nami said that she liked the way Kyungsoo stirred his straw inside the glass. He stirred his straw as he looked down on his drink then to Nami’s face alternately. As the light caressed his face, Nami could feel that her heart thumped faster. That was just Kyungsoo being so beautiful.
“Tomorrow I will be starting my work.” Nami just realized that she has spent half of her day in the café. She looked at her watch then put inside her wallet into her bag. “Mmm, Kyungsoo-ssi, I guess I really have to get going now.”
“Oh, really?” Kyungsoo swiftly pushed aback his chair. He was a bit daze as Nami feverishly bowed then waved at him. “Annyeong!” Nami beckoned.
For a minute Kyungsoo was flustered for seeing Nami walking closer to the front door. “Nami-ssi,” he yelled out her name. Nami who was exchanging goodbyes with Eunjoo awkwardly turned her head to him. Kyungsoo trotted closer to her, “Nami, would you mind if you wait for me a bit? Let me walk you home.” Even Kyungsoo was startled by his own words. It might not the first time he said this to a girl, but saying this to Nami was somehow different. It took him some guts to called her again and asked her.
“No, it’s okay. I’ll just go by myself.” Nami was feeling a bit worry if her parents would ask for her. What make her worry wasn’t exactly her parents, but it was Luhan. For her parents always ask about her to him, instead of directly ask herself.
“Just let me sing one song. Then I’ll be good to go. Please?” Kyungsoo could say that it was his first time begging a girl. But the wanting to walk Nami home just swept away his senses.
“Hmm…” Nami looked at his watch then decided to deal with Luhan and her parents later. “Okay then.” She shrugged.
Uncaught by Nami, Kyungsoo was indeed relieved a sigh. He made a fist-pump on his back so Nami couldn’t see it. “Assa!” he mouthed.

The café gradually became dim-lighted as the sound of acoustic guitar was filling the room.  Nami could see her new boss, Lay, was at the centre of the stage strumming his guitar. A spotlight was made for him, letting all the audiences feel the comfort atmosphere he made. Kyungsoo sipped his last peppermint tea then nudged Nami’s elbow. “Just wait me here, kay?” then in a flash, kyungsoo already made his way to the stage.

“Good evening, guys!” Lay took the mic as he greet his audiences.
“How is your summer day so far? I believe it must be good.
Today, I let you sing along with me. Because I just invited our favorite singer, Do Kyungsoo!” Lay clapped as Kyungsoo took a place at the centre of the stage with his mic muffled. The audiences suddenly cheering out loudly as they caught smiling-Kyungsoo on the stage.
“Hello, everybody!” Kyungsoo waved then let out his fair smile. “This time, with Lay-ssi, I wanna sing Forever by One Way’s Chance. Hope you all will like it.” Kyungsoo took a seat beside Lay as the spotlight both of their skin. The sound of strumming guitar slowly captivated everyone’s ear, including Nami.

There, Kyungsoo’s sweet-soothing sound voiced the first verse of the song.

 

I need you to close your eyes

just for a moment

오래전 그대를 만나

O-rae-jeon geu-dae-reul man-na
It’s been a long time since I met you

좋았던 추억들이 하나 하나

Joh-att-deon chu-eok-deul-i ha-na ha-na
The good memories come out one by one

 

그대가 좋아하던 블랙 커피처럼

Geu-dae-ga joh-a-ha-deon beul-laek keo-pi-cheo-reom
Like the black coffee that you like,

때론 쓰디쓴 기억들도

Ddae-ron sseu-di-sseun gi-eok-deul-do
along with the bitter memories

How much do I mean to you lately

How much have I changed since you’ve met me

바보같은 질문보다그대에게 하고 싶은

Ba-bo-gat-eun jil-mun-bo-da Geu-dae-e-ge ha-go ship-eun mal
That’s what I wanted to ask you more than a stupid question

 


Nami’s eyes were teary of listening Kyungsoo’s deep yet charming voice. The sound of Lay’s acoustic guitar also made a role of Nami’s sudden sob. Maybe she once fell for Kyungsoo’s voice not long ago, but this time Nami was sure that it wouldn’t happen just once. Kyungsoo was indeed the only one who could make Nami fell into him all over again. Not only has his sweet-fascinating voices but also his fair smile, his well-mannered look, and of course his awkward greetings.  Nami couldn’t even take her eyes off of him. Nami trembled just by listening to Kyungsoo singing her favorite song beautifully. And indeed, Nami also fell to its lyrics.

Then Kyungsoo went with the last refrain of the song.

 

 

Forever, forever, forever

행복한 눈물만 흘려요

Haeng-bok-han nun-mul-man heul-ryeo-yo
Happy tears flows down

 

그대와 나 이대로

Geu-dae-wa na i-dae-ro
You and I just like this

꼭 영원토록 함께 할꺼예요

Ggok yeong-weon-to-rok ham-gge hal-ggeo-ye-yo
We’re going to stay together forever

You know what I tell you from the start

I got you sugar this one’s for you, forever

 

Just Lay went with the last strum of his guitar and Kyungsoo ended it with his fair smile the audiences started cheering in awe. They all was amused by how Kyungsoo and Lay duet on the stage. It was too beautiful to put into a proper word. Even for Nami, beautiful and amusing were not exactly enough to describe her feeling. Nami did another standing ovation to appreciate Kyungsoo’s and Lay’s music skill, no wonder this café has a lot of visitors in the night.
Kyungsoo aimed back to his chair to fulfill his promise to take Nami home. He high-fived his awesome guitar-player hyung then quickly ran back to his seat.
“Ok, I’m good to go.” Kyungsoo beamed at Nami who was still bemused at her table.
“O-Oh, right. Let's go!” Nami pushed aback her chair then followed Kyungsoo to the front door. She waved goodbye to Eunjoo first until she finally exited the café.

“That was really beautiful, Kyungsooi.” Nami bluntly said which made Kyungsoo felt a bit flutter.
“Really?” he indeed fluttered.
“Absolutely! Forever is one of my favorite song.” She said with an excitement tone in her voice.
“Wow! Hahaha…” there he goes, another shy laugh which made the atmosphere suddenly turned weird. “…I did enjoy singing that song. If I have the chance to sing it again, I really want to sing it to my loved one.” Kyungsoo said as he looked up to the sky, wondering who he’ll be singing the song to.
Unknowingly by Kyungsoo, Nami’s cheeks turned red all over. Her heartbeats thumped faster as she cupped her hot cheek, avoiding Kyungsoo’s eyes.  She didn’t know how could Kyungsoo’s words could easily flutter her. She might not be Kyungsoo’s loved one. But deep inside her heart, she wanted to know who’s gonna be his loved one.
“Nami,” Kyungsoo blurted out her name. Successfully, planted a butterfly inside Nami’s belly.
“Yes?” Nami tried to sound as calm as possible.
“Why aren’t the bus coming yet?”
Apparently, it has been half an hour Kyungsoo and Nami waited for the bus.
“I don’t know either.” Nami said as she shrugged her shoulder.
“Let’s take a walk first. Do you mind?” Kyungsoo put his hands into his pocket then gestured Nami to follow her.
“Okay.” Since Nami too didn’t know what else to do, she just followed Kyungsoo from behind.

Both of them took a stroll under the street lamp. It wasn’t really crowd but not pretty quiet either. Some people were still passing by, but they barely saw couple. Most of them were a group of girls or boys or both boys and girls. Nami assumed that they wanted to to the club.
“Ahk!” Nami suddenly stumbled down.
"are you okay?” Kyungsoo panicked a bit for seeing Nami who was kneeling.
“I guess…” Nami tried to stand up but she tripped down instead. “…not okay.” She said as she smiled wryly.
“Here, let me help you.” Kyungsoo offered his arm to help Nami stood up. He hold Nami’s wrist first to help her balance her body. Then he placed Nami’s arm on the back of his shoulder and hold Nami’s waist to prop her body. “Are you really okay, Nami?”
“I’m okay. Really” Nami tried to make her legs to walk but all she could feel was a painful hurt around her ankle.
Soon, both Nami and Kyungsoo found a bench on the street. Kyungsoo carefully propped Nami’s body then slowly lead her to the bench.
“Here, sit! Let me check your ankle first.” Just as Nami sat on the bench, Kyungsoo kneeled in front of her then placed her ankle on his lap.
“Aaaw! That…hurts…” Nami whined as Kyungsoo pinched Nami’s ankle.
“Piggyback won’t hurt you right?” Kyungsoo asked Nami as if he could easily carry Nami on his back.
“No! I can walk.” Nami tried to stand with her straight legs, but all she could do was stumbling onto the bench.
“Let. Me. Carry. You. Now!” Kyungsoo’s voice was a little too serious according to Nami’s assumption.  Well, there was nothing Nami could do actually beside accepting Kyungsoo’s offer to piggyback her. But, one thing she hasn’t sure of, can Kyungsoo piggyback her?
Eventually, Nami gave up on Kyungsoo’s serious tone. She let Kyungsoo carried her on his back. Nami’s arms were circling around Kyungsoo’s neck. The scent of masculine perfume Kyungsoo wore filling the air Nami breathed in. To Nami’s surprise, Kyungsoo could easily carry her on his back lightly, like Nami was some kind of fragile thing. “I'm so sorry,”
Kyungsoo didn’t rightly answer Nami. He was too happy for having the chance carrying Nami on his back. He somehow felt happy for making himself useful to the girl he liked.

Wait, like? Did Kyungsoo even sure of what he was thought? Did he really like Nami?

“No worries. I promise to walk you home anyway.  It just suddenly changed into; carrying you home on my back not to walk you home.” He said as he chuckled. “Anyway, you’re heavier than I thought.” He let out a louder laugh which made Nami hit him on his back once.
“Aww! Don’t make me tripped down and let you fall.” He again as he made her pout like a five-year-old girl.

 

***

 


 

A/N: FINALLY LONG CHAPTER. kekekekeke
Anyway guys, This One Way song is also my fave song :p I'll give you guys a link to listen to it if you havent listened it. but later maybe....now i'm really sleepy byee