1 Missed Call

Listen

Chapter Two: 1 Missed Call

 

Yonghwa sipped his coffee, leaning against the kitchen counter as Jonghyun laughed at something on TV. He was in a composing mood, but had extreme writer’s block. Or was it composer’s block? Oh well, it didn’t matter anyway. It didn’t matter how excited he felt about sitting in front of his equipment trying to create, nothing was coming to him.

Things used to come much easier to him, when he had been with her during that time. He felt so stupid. He had only gone on the show to get CN Blue’s name and music out to the public even more and show that he was more than quiet, pining Shin Woo in “You’re Beautiful”. He hadn’t expected to actually fall for anyone. She had been some sort of muse, and while every CN Blue song hadn’t been written about her, the feelings and soulfulness he put into composing was inspired by how happy she made him. He missed her, but it had been over for a long time. He was in the early stages of letting her go. Clearly, she had already done so.

Jonghyun wandered into the kitchen and helped himself to some water. “Thought you were composing all night long.”

“I am, I will,” replied Yonghwa defensively. “Can’t I come into my own kitchen for some coffee?”

Jungshin, clad in a t-shirt and shorts, wandered into the kitchen and searched the fridge.

“Just send maknae in to get it,” said Jonghyun, which caused Jungshin to look up, “he’s clearly not doing anything important for CN Blue.”

“Leave me alone. I’m tired and hungry, and I have to deep condition my hair tonight,” Jungshin frowned. “Besides, I can hear you laughing all the way in my room. How much work are you doing for the band?”

“I’m,” Jonghyun tried to think fast, “trying to improve my variety skills by doing some research.”

Jungshin and Yonghwa laughed and shoved him playfully. 

“We’ve all been working hard, huh?” said Yonghwa thoughtfully. “You guys should relax tonight. I’ll try coming up with something really good for us to listen to in the morning.”

Yonghwa’s phone began ringing.

He reached into his pocket wondering who it could be at this time of night. The last person he expected was Seohyun. Her smiling face, a 2 year old picture that he had taken of her during the “We Got Married” filming, stared back at him from the phone.

“Who is it?” asked Jonghyun, peaking over Yonghwa’s shoulder.

“It’s Seohyun,” Yonghwa said quietly, as if he had just received a death sentence and didn’t know which feeling to express first.

“What?” Jungshin came from behind. “Why is she calling?”

“If I knew that, I’d be answering the phone.”

“Why aren’t you answering it?”

“Because…” He had no clue why. His heart was pounding, and he felt anxious. His ringtone echoed throughout the room, and her face continued to illuminate his phone.

“Hyung, seriously, answer it.” Jonghyun nudged him lightly.

But it was too late. The call ended and the phone went back to original screensaver with a new message. 1 missed call.

The three CN Blue boys continued to stare at the phone as if it would do something extraordinary again any minute.

“Aigoo, this is boring. You should’ve answered it,” said Jungshin after awhile before leaving the kitchen.

Yonghwa looked up at Jonghyun. Jonghyun was younger than him, but he knew he’d get a straightforward answer from him.

“She probably just called on accident right? I mean, it’s happened before.”

Jonghyun shrugged. Yonghwa tried to read his expression, but it was very seldom that Jonghyun looked anything but mischievous, irritated, or tired. “Guess we’ll never know.”

The boy went back into the living room and shut off the TV, leaving Yonghwa alone in the kitchen. Yonghwa went back to drinking his coffee. 

Sometime later, he was sitting back in his room, staring through his equipment. If he was unable to focus before, he was really unable to get anything done now. Why had he been too afraid to answer her call? What really stopped him? A dull part of his brain tried to convince him that he was trying to get over her and whatever she had to say was unimportant, but a large part of his brain was telling him he was a coward. He couldn’t answer the phone because he would be at a loss of what to say, and maybe he’d say something stupid. Maybe he’d feel stupid if the call had been an accident.

Yonghwa didn’t like being a coward in any situation. His dongsaengs would never take him seriously now. He flexed his muscle, reminding himself that he was a man and reclaimed his phone.

1 missed call.

He breathed in and out, then hit the call button.

Seohyun picked up on the second ring.

Yoboseyo?” her quiet, slow voice came through the phone.

Hyun,” said Yonghwa, forgetting the fact that he probably shouldn’t call her that anymore. “You called.”

Dae! Thank you for calling me back,” her voice became more cheerful, but she seemed to be trying to keep quiet. Maybe her unnies were in the room or maybe she was hiding from them.

Is everything ok?” he asked. Surely she hadn’t called to talk.

Dae, Dae. Yong oppa, what’s your schedule like tomorrow?”

Hearing the words ‘Yong oppa’ come out of thrilled him. He missed her calling him that. He missed her calling him anything for that matter. It was good to know she still felt comfortable with him. Maybe she wanted to remain close with him afterall.

Nothing. We just got home. I was going to record some music,” he told her coolly.

Oh, so you’re busy. Ok.”

Annio!” he practically shouted, and the coolness evaporated. “I mean, I’m free. How about you? What’s your schedule like tomorrow?”

Nothing for the first half of the day. Yong Oppa, Hyoyeon unnie and Sooyoung unnie have a request. They want to meet with you guys tonight, maybe eat something good. Would you be willing?”

Hyoyeon unnie and Sooyoung unnie? Since when did they care anything about him and his band members? Yonghwa was thoroughly puzzled.

Is it just your unnies, or will you come too? I haven’t seen you in a long time.”

Dae, I’m coming too. I miss everyone, and Unnies don’t know them very well.”

Somehow, that was all he needed to hear. “Ok, I’ll come pick you up. Give me a half hour.

Dae.”

….........................................................

Yonghwa couldn’t contain his excitement. Why did she have to sound so cute on the phone? It was cool that she made the first move to call him and even cooler that she had called to spend time with him. The situation was strange no doubt, with Sooyoung and Hyoyeon coming along with Jonghyun, Minhyuk, and Jungshin, but he’d take it. Just as long as she wanted to see him.

So much for that ‘trying to let go’ thing.

He searched in all the rooms until he found everyone hanging out in Jungshin’s room. It was no surprise that they had all powwowed to make fun of him over ignoring her call.

Jungshin was in the middle of a deep voiced dance rendition of SNSD’s “The Boys”, one arm flung out in front of him, and the other propped up on his head.

“Girl’s Generation make you feel the—hyung!” Jungshin was caught in the act when Yonghwa walked through the door, which caused Jonghyun and Minhyuk to collapse into a pile of laugher on the bed.

“By all means, Jungshin, don’t stop now that I’m here,” said Yonghwa. “Continue performing and then you can all get ready.”  

“For what?”

“Seohyun wants to see you guys, and a couple of her unnies do too.” Yonghwa tried to say coolly and uncaring. He tried to read their expressions.

“What?” responded Jonghyun.

“You heard me. Get ready. We’re going to hang out for a little while, maybe get something to eat.”

“Hyung, we can’t just hang outwith SNSD,” said Minhyuk, who looked as shocked as ever.

“Why not? Some of us have before. And it’s not all of them, just Sooyoung and Hyoyeon.”

“That was for a TV show, and that was only you and Jungshin. We can’t just freely pick them up at their apartment and freely go to Minhyuk’s father’s restaurant to get something to eat,” Jonghyun was incredulous. “We’d be on the front page of the newspaper by tomorrow morning.”

“That’s a good idea actually,” replied Jungshin. “We can go to Minhyuk’s father’s place. Surely he’d shut down the restaurant for SNSD. Then we could eat in private.”

Yonghwa nodded in agreement.

“Seriously? Hyung, is this a joke?” asked Minhyuk.

“Why are you guys acting like this? We’re famous too. It’s harmless. They want to hang out with us, and I told Hyun I’d be there in a half hour.”

“Oh, so now it’s Hyun again,” Jonghyun mumbled to Minhyuk.

“It’s always been Hyun,” Yonghwa smiled widely at Jonghyun to spite the boy. “Now be ready in ten minutes. I’m taking the van.” 

 

A/N: I would pay big money to see any of the CN Blue guys do any part of The Boys dance haha. Anyway, how’d you like the second chapter? The 3rd chapter will be posted soon and will probably be shorter than the last two. Thank you for all the subscriptions and good reviews, and I hope to hear (see) more of your comments down below :)!