One Night

Listen

A/N: please excuse my butchering of romanticized Korean.  

 

Chapter One: One Night

“Ladies and Gentlemen, here is CN to the Blue’s song, In My Head,for all of you Boice’s out there! Sounds like our boys are singing specifically to you. Enjoy!” echoed the DJ from the small radio in Seohyun’s room.

The music came blasting through the speakers as Seohyun searched her bag for the book she was reading. She hummed along to her ex-husband’s band unknowingly until she finally found what she was looking for. How to Lead with Both the Mind and Heart.

She turned off the radio mid-song, sat back on her bed, and cracked the book open to the page she had left off. If she was lucky, she’d probably finish the entire thing by that night.

And she would’ve, had Hyoyeon not burst into the room some minutes later.

“What’s going on in here, Maknae?” the girl asked enthusiastically. “I heard Yong seobang just now.”

“It was just the radio, Unnie,” Seohyun responded distractedly, turning a page of her book.

“What’s this?” Hyoyeon yanked the book from Seohyun’s grasp and read the cover.

“Unnie, hand it back!”

“Oh, this must be the party room,” said someone from the doorway. Both Seohyun and Hyoyeon looked up and saw Sooyoung.

“Dae, what are you doing tonight?”

“Nothing. No one else is getting in until late, so I’ll probably sit in my room all night eating four helpings of ramen, and wondering when the hell I’m going to get a boyfriend,” replied Sooyoung. “Not like our maknae here. Did I just hear In My Head floating down the hallway?”  

Hyoyeon laughed and handed Seohyun back the book. Seohyun pouted. “I don’t have a boyfriend, Unnie.”

“Well you would if you’d call up Yonghwa and tell him that you miss him and that you’re ready to give him your entire heart,” Hyoyeon teased, and Sooyoung squealed hysterically.

Seohyun knew where this was going, when Yonghwa was involved. If her unnies had plenty to about before she went on the show, they had a plethora of things to about now. They had some weird fascination with her and Jung Yonghwa’s fake marriage, insisting that even though they knew that it was just a show—one of the many they all participated in—they couldn’t help to see how much she really liked him. For almost a year she had been trying to convince them otherwise, but when they clung to something, they clung to it hard.

“What are you talking about? Ah, seriously.”

“We’re very serious. Besides, it’s not a secret that WGM almost had a real life scandal with innocent Seohyun. I can’t believe it’s you out of all of us who get to fall in love first.”

“For the last time, that was over a year ago,” Seohyun whined. “And for the last time, I feel nothing for him.”

“Oh, really?” Hyoyeon crossed her arms and cocked her hip. “Then why did you cry and mope for two whole days after breaking up with him? Why did you fling yourself at your phone every time it buzzed for three months straight afterwards?”

Sooyoung flopped onto her stomach next to Seohyun. “Yeah, Hyunnie, explain yourself.”

Seohyun huffed. “I thought I had feelings for him, but time passed, and I realized I never did. And we didn’t break up. It was just the end of the show.”

“I don’t get it,” said Sooyoung. “You got to date. With one of the cutest, funniest guys we know. In public! We’re your unnies! We know stuff about you that even you don’t know!”

She didn’t want to talk about it with them, or anyone. The past was past. Jung Yonghwa didn’t care for her like that, and she needed to focus on her career. He had probably moved on to some other girl whom he didn’t have to coach on being the perfect girlfriend. A girlfriend who wouldn’t ask him stupid, naïve questions about the difference between liking someone and loving someone.

“I have an idea. Let’s all go out and invite the CN Blue boys along. If our maknae is going to be dating Yonghwa foreal in the future, we should at least get to know his bandmates more,” Hyoyeon suggested excitedly.

“Dae! Seohyun, come on. Call up Yonghwa,” Sooyoung laughed.

“Honestly,” Seohyun sighed, attempting to control her thoughts of the past. “I’m reading. That’s how I want to spend my night. If you guys want to talk about boys or go play with them, go ahead. Just don’t miss curfew.”

Seconds later, a phone was waved in front of her face. Hyoyeon stood there defiant. “Call him. Now.”

“Annio.”

“And you wonder why things got awkward between you two.” The girl rolled her eyes. “Just call him. We have nothing to do tonight and we want to play with boys, and I can’t do another outing with Suju. I just can’t.”

“Please, Hyunnie,” Sooyoung pouted at her dongsaeng. “They play instruments and write their own songs. They’re too young for me, but I’ll take it. Just let us be normal for once.”

“Call them yourselves. I don’t know their schedule.”

“Babo, we can’t just call them!” Hyoyeon sat down and smiled scarily. “Just one night.”

Seohyun paused. She was trying this new thing of being more flexible with her unnies and accepting the invitation of having fun. If she was serious about that challenge, she would have to do things like CN Blue on the spur of the moment, demanding that they all play together for a night.

“Fine,” she sighed.

“I call Jungshin!” both Hyoyeun and Sooyoung called out. They glared at each other.

“No way! You four got to have a picnic!” Sooyoung shouted. “I got nothing. Give me Jungshin.”

“Annio, let him decide!”

Both girls looked at Seohyun expectantly and said “call.”

……………………………………

The bathroom was the one place Seohyun could escape to with her phone where her unnies wouldn’t follow her. Why was she stupid enough to agree to something like this? Yonghwa was going to think it was too sudden and random, the fact that she’d basically call to ask him and his bandmates out on some sort of group date.

 

She thought about that last part for a long time and decided that she was wrong. It wasn’t really a group date because none of them were dating each other technically. She knew that her unnies would try to throw her together with Yonghwa whenever they got the chance, but she did miss seeing him. She missed her… friend? No, that wasn’t right. She missed her oppa.

There was a loud rap on the door.

“Hyunnie, call him or else we’re coming in there!” shouted Sooyoung.

“I will after I’m done using the bathroom!” she lied.  

Seohyun breathed in and out slowly, then put her face into her hands. “Ottoke. I can’t do this.”

She didn’t know why it was such a big deal. They hadn’t fought, and they weren’t on bad terms with each other. It had just been a really long time since they had last called casually or sent a text. That’s what she really wanted to do… send a text. But wouldn’t it seem weird and impersonal? It made more sense to just call and call quickly. He probably wouldn’t answer anyway.

She let out a sigh and hit the call button.

 

 

A/N: Next chapter will be posted very soon. How did you guys enjoy the first chapter? Hopefully you guys will want to read more. Please leave a comment of your thoughts :) Thank you for reading, even if you didn’t like it.