When The Dragon and The Unicorn Falls In Love

When The Dragon and The Unicorn Meets

 

A very long time has passed.  They are not sure if it's just months or a year or maybe years.  They only feel that it's awfully a long time and they still have no clue where they are going or where the gate could be located and they haven't met any other living creature either.
 
 
Lay ran out of stories to tell.  He had learned how to be quiet for a long time.  He only talked when he needed.  His hair had gotten longer.  Kris had offered to cut it by burning at some point but Lay declined the offer because the fire might burn his entire hair and he doesn't want to be a bald unicorn.
 
 
Kris was getting weaker.  He had only been eating grass and leaves which isn't satisfying or nutritious for a dragon but he never complained.  There were times when Lay felt hopeless and during those times, he would offer himself as food but the dragon would always knock some sense into the unicorn by literally kicking the unicorn but he does it lightly seen he's big and stronger and then he'll give Lay a long speech about not giving up hope.  They would argue for a while and then make peace again.
 
 
Until one day, Kris fell to the ground.  "You're getting weaker.  Just eat me."  Lay hated the fact that his healing powers wasn't of any use when it comes to starvation for the dragon.
 
 
"No."  The dragon said weakly.
 
 
"You need strength.  You need to return to your clan."  The unicorn tried to convince the other.
 
 
"How many times do we need to have this conversation? Even if I eat you, it's not an assurance that I might be able to get out of this damn forest..."  The dragon wanted to sound angry but his voice only came out weak.
 
 
"But you would be able to live longer and maybe you really might manage to get out."
 
 
"If there's anyone who's going to live longer, it's you because you don't have any problems eating grass and plants.  Lay... just go on without me."
 
 
"No!!!"  The unicorn started crying.  "I'm not going to leave you.  I... I..."  He couldn't talk anymore as he couldn't control himself from sobbing too much.
 
 
"Lay, don't be such a crybaby."  The dragon tried to in a weak voice.
 
 
Usually, the unicorn would go with the flow of the jokes but he couldn't bring himself to do it this time around.  "If you die, I'm going to go crazy and commit suicide."
 
 
"Lay, don't..."
 
 
"I'm serious.  I love you.  ... that even sounds crazy enough as it is.  I'm one step closer to suicide now."  
 
 
Since when have anyone heard of a unicorn falling in love with a dragon?!  Any other day, Kris would have laughed about it but not today and certainly, not right now.  "Lay, even if I felt the same way, there's no future for us but you have a bright future waiting for you in the human world."
 
 
"Are you rejecting me for my own good or rejecting me because you really don't feel the same way?  I mean... it's crazy after all... a unicorn loving a dra---"
 
 
"I'm rejecting you for your own good."  A dragon wing draped itself on the unicorn's body.  "I'm crazy too for loving a unicorn."
 
 
Suddenly, they were surrounded by bright light.  When the bright light faded allowing the mythical creatures to open their eyes again, they saw that they were in a meadow which had a lot a cottage and a farm not far from where they were.  They could see a lot of sheeps within a fence.  
 
 
Someone in human form who really looked like an ordinary farmer boy with a straw hat stood in front of the dragon and unicorn.  "The creatures who try to get to the human world, I usually either kill them or leave them to get lost in the Forest of Myst until they die by themselves but I did allow a very few creatures to enter the human world.  Do you want to know why I allowed them?"
 
 
"Why?"  Lay asked as he knew that Kris was too weak to say anything.
 
 
"Mostly due to my amusement."  The farmer boy laughed, obviously showing how much he was amused by it.  "A dragon and a unicorn in love.  I never had such a good laugh for years."
 
 
The unicorn glared at the person.  He was tempted to hurt the person with his horn but he wouldn't want to get his horn all bloody.  "Are you the gatekeeper?"
 
 
"Yes.  You can call me Kai."  The gatekeeper introduced himself.  "Feel free to get some sheep to eat."  He said as he looked at the dragon.
 
 
Using what's left of his strength, the dragon rushed towards the sheeps.  The unicorn had to look away as he certainly wouldn't want to see the dragon eating sheeps for dinner especially with the sheeps panicking and crying.  When the dragon was satisfied, he went back to Kai and Lay.
 
 
"I have a feeling you guys need to talk and think more before making a final decision whether to enter the human world or go back to where you belong so I'll leave you guys out here.  Just knock on the door of my cottage when you guys made a decision."  The gatekeeper was decent enough to give them privacy.
 
 
"Wait..." Kris said to the gatekeeper.  "...how long exactly did Lay and I stay in the forest?"
 
 
"I didn't really keep count.  Perhaps around 20 to 30 years which isn't that long by the way compared to most creatures.  Any more questions?"  Kai asked.
 
 
"Do you happen to know what happened to the fire dragon clan?"  Kris badly wanted to know because it's going to be the huge basis of his decision whether to go to the human world with Lay or go back to his home.
 
 
"They are still being held prisoners or slaves by the wind dragons."  Kai delivered the bad news casually before walking back to his cottage.
 
 
"I'll go back with you and help you with your clan."  Lay offered.
 
 
"It's dangerous for a unicorn to get involved in a dragon's fight and don't give me the 'I'm not like most unicorns' talk because I still won't allow you to get involved."  Kris didn't allow Lay to argue with him.
 
 
"Either way, we won't be together I guess..."  The unicorn frowned.
 
 
They made up with their decisions so for one last time, they slept together with their bodies pressed against each other for warmth and comfort.  Lay cried himself to sleep.  Kris allowed a few tears to fall from his eyes the moment Lay fell asleep.
 
 
To be continued...
 
 
A/N:  The next chapter will be the ending but I'm thinking of writing another one as some sort of epilogue so...... leave a comment and inspire (force, bribe, threaten and pressure) me to write another chapter XD  Or maybe you don't need to since an idea for an epilogue is starting to form in my mind XD