CHAPTER 001: DEBUT STAGE

SOUL | 영혼 | SM ENTERTAINMENT'S NEW GIRL GROUP | STORY START

"Chaerin umma ~ Could you help me with the sleeves?" Hyeomin whined, clinging on to the said girl with a pout on her face. Chaerin, already in make-up and costume, sighed and turned to the maknae, fixing up her sleeves. "Fine. And it's Chaerin unnie! I'm not a mother!"

"But you do act like a mother, Chaerin," Hyun Ah called out from the other side of the room as she and Jinkyo were having their hair being styled. Chaerin let out a sigh and rubbed her temples in a circular motion. "Please don't call me that. Besides, it makes sound old. And I'm only twenty!"

"Okay, Chaerin umma ~" Hyeomin said, giggling. Chaerin just glared at her and went over to sit next to Xiong Mao, who was bobbing her head to the earphones that were feeding her the music. Meanwhile, Sung Hwa was pacing aronud the room while rehearsing her lines of their song, hitting each note perfectly. When Jinkyo was done with her hair being styled, she sat down next to Chaerin and stared at the floor, her face white chalk and her eyes unblinking. Chaerin took note of the silent girl's behavior and nudged her. "Hey Jinkyo, is everything alright?"

Chaerin was taken by surprise when Jinkyo grasped both of her wrists, her face contorted in a panic expression. "Unnie, what if we make a mistake? What if we sang the wrong lyrics? What if we did something wrong with the choreography? What if everyone doesn't like our performance at all? What if we — "

"Jinkyo!" Chaerin said sharply, causing the young girl to clamped shut. Chaerin let out another sigh and smiled reassuringly at the Sub Vocalist. "Relax, Jinkyo. Everything will be alright. We already made it this far to back down now. I'm not making any promises that we are going to be loved by everyone — after all, we just debut — but what I can promise you is that everything will go smoothly."

"You really think so?" Jinkyo asked softly. Chaerin nodded her head, smiling. "I know so."

Jinkyo enveloped Chaerin in a hug, her head nuzzling on the older girl's shoulder. "Thank you, umma."

Chaerin groaned as they broke the hug, staring at the young girl in disbelief. "Jinkyo! Not you too!"

"Well, I guess Hyeominnie's rubbing it off on me." Jinkyo said, giggling. 

"But don't deny it, Chaerin-ah," Sung Hwa said, looking up from her copy of the song. "You really do act like a mother."

"I think Victoria's rubbing it off on you," Xiong Mao remarked, removing her earphones and smirking at the Lead Vocalist. "You've been spending a lot much time with her."

"We are friends, after all," Chaerin said, rolling her eyes. Xiong Mao chuckled, "Whatever you say, Chaerin umma."

"YAH! I AM NOT A MOTHER!" 

Everyone laughed at Chaerin's protest. Just then, a knock was heard from the door and their manager came in, nodding in approval that all the girls were ready to go on stage. "Alright girls, you have three more minutes before you'll all go on stage. Might as well give some last-minute preparations while you still can."

And with the last word, the manager left the room. Hyun Ah turned to the rest of her group members, either of them looking excited or nervous. She placed her hands on her hips and said, "Now this is the moment we've been all waiting for. If I see any of you screwing up on stage, you're dead meat to me." She glared at them, causing the others to fidget slightly under her intense gaze. Then, her glare softened as a smile found its way to her face as she hold out hr hand. "On the count of three..."

The girls knew what she meant and smiled to each other, putting their hands on top of their leader's. "One... Two... Three... SOUL, fighting!" They cheered out loud as they went out of the room, ready to take the stage with their first ever performance.

----

The lights were dimmed as a lone figure stood on stage, her head was down and a microphone was on her hand. The sound of an upbeat music filled the entire stage. Then, lights of white, yellow and red flashed on stage as Hyun Ah raised her head and began to walk towards the edge of the stage, singing while doing so, as the numerous amount of people began screaming and cheering.

"Hey pretty boy
You ain't got nothing on me
Hey ladies,"

At the last word, Hyun Ah raised out her vacant arm towards the back of the stage where the five girls appeared in amidst of Hyun Ah's introduction. The five girls all had one hand on their hips as they threw their free arm in the air, chorusing, "Yeah!"

Hyun Ah smiled and took a few strides backwards as she and with the rest of her group members began to perform the song. "Let's go!"

Xiong Mao took the center stage first, showcasing her rapping skills as she did a free-form dance that wowed the crowd. 

"Geu nugudo neom bol saenggak jeoldaero hal su eopge
Neoui du nunbicheul humchyeo nae gaseume dameulge
Wanna flow with me? I can do that
Wanna dance with me? you can do that
Ttokgateun yeojara chakgakhajima naega nugunde"

At the end of her part, the five girls from the back let out a cheer of her name, "Xianrin!"

Triple Threat Hyeomin's turn to the spotlight. Unlike her usual cutesy image, she was transformed into someone no one would ever recognized. The y and daring side of the maknae. She began to perform her part of the song as she also showcased her exemplary ability to dance. The feeling of ecstasy was spreading within her like a wildfire that Hyeomin began to exude much energy in her part. 

"Eoridago nal swipge bwatdan keunko dachyeoyo
Sungan nimameul ppaetneungeon swiwo like 1 2 3 4
Ije jom deo soljikhage jangnaneun jebal geumanhae
Igeon sigan munjeya boys, boys
Gonna make you mine mine"

Making a quick turn, Chaerin took the stage . She belted out the lyrics and performed the dance steps that she and Hyun Ah had been working on for the past few days. By the end of her part, she winked at the crowd and blowed them a kiss, causing them to go wild.

"Urin seodulleoyahae miryeon nan mot neukkyeo
Aswiungeon ohiryeo neoiltenikka
Ginjang sogeseo hwangholhan yeoyureul neukkyeo nan
Wake up geimeun naega igingeol"

All the girls then stood together as they performed the dance routine whilst Sung Hwa sang at her heart's content, happy that she's finally living her dream. 

"Hey pretty boy neon eodinga bujokhae
Amureon maeryeogeobsi yeppeujanghagimanhae
Hey pretty boy neon jogeum deo noryeokhae
Jom deo namjadapge jom deo gaeseongitge
Neol babababakkwobwa"

At the end of Sung Hwa's part, Hyun Ah and Jinkyo took on the stage. At first, Jinkyo was nervous and afraid, fearing that the crowd may not even like their performance at all, but as they continued to perform, the feeling of confidence began to grow within her and now she was performing like it wasn't even her first time at all. 

"Now throw your hands in the air!" Hyun Ah sang out, waving her free hand in the air. She then swapped positions with the younger girl as Jinkyo waved her hand down low. "And wave 'em like you don't care!"

Hyun Ah and Jinkyo repeated that twice before they both walked towards the opposite direction as Hyeomin began to perform her rap once more with more energy and emotions than before. Xiong Mao followed after her and performed her rap along with a dance to go with her part. At the middle of the rap, they both clapped their hands as Jinkyo once again sung her part. Hyeomin and Xiong Mao showcased their swag and style in their rap that the screaming and cheering of the crowd was beginning to grow deafening.

"Jasingameun joha neon tteotthteotae
Geunde eodinga gabyeowo ttabunhae
Ganghan maeryeok jebal boyeobwa
I like bad boys, soldier type

"Kineun neomu ankeododwae napolleongcheoreom
Sesangeul samkil nappeun namjacheoreom geopjaengicheoreom sumjima
That's right naega pillyohangeon heukgisa

"Hey boy, to the left, to the left
Siksanghan pretty boy move to the left

Onjongil neukkyeo misoman jinsireomneun seutaireun bihogam

"Bakkeseon teopeuhan gangster boy
Jibeseon yeongnageomneun mama's boy

"Yakhadi yakhan onsilsok hwacho
Yeppeunnamjan hanmulgatjyo"

Chaerin and Sung Hwa both performed their parts of the song again whilst doing the dance routine as they had practiced. The smiles on their faces were visible as the two powerhouse vocalists belted out their lyrics loud and proud.

"Urin seodulleoyahae miryeon nan motneukkyeo
Aswiungeon ohiryeo neoiltenikka
Ginjang sogeseo hwangholhan yeoyureul neukkyeo nan
Wake up geimeun naega igingeol

"Hey pretty boy neon eodinga bujokhae
Amureon maeryeogeobsi yeppeujanghagimanhae
Hey pretty boy neon jogeum deo noryeokhae
Jom deo namjadapge jom deo gaeseongitge
Neol babababakkwobwa"

By the time they reached the bridge, the six girls ran towards the end of the stage, clapping as they sung out together in complete harmony.

"You're too P.R.E.T.T.Y
Yeppeuneolgul hanamitgo yeoja mam humchijima
You're not for me, I'm not for you

"You're too P.R.E.T.T.Y
Yeppeuneolgul hanamitgo yeoja mam humchijima
You're not for me, I'm not for you"

By the end of their chorus together, Sung Hwa stood out once more, putting her feelings strong as she sang out her part.

"Namjadeureun malhae yeojan geujeo yeppeumyeon dwae
Geujeo chakhamyeon doendago"

After the end of her part, Sung Hwa turned around as Chaerin took the stage, belting out the lyrics with strong emotions as what the Main Vocalist had done earlier. 

"Urideureun barae namjan namjadawoya hae
You got to be a real man ~ "

Chaerin lingered out on the last note as she pointed out to the crowd, then she took a stride backwards as she performed the chorus dance routine whilst Sung Hwa was still singing her part.

"Hey pretty boy neon eodinga bujokhae
Amureon maeryeogeobsi yeppeujanghagimanhae
Hey pretty boy neon jogeum deo noryeokhae
Jom deo namjadapge jom deo gaeseongitge
Neol babababakkwobwa"

"Now throw your hands in the air!" Hyun Ah sang out once again, waving her free hand in the air high. She then swapped positions with the Sub Vocalist as Jinkyo waved her hand down low, a wide smile on her face. "And wave 'em like you don't care!"

They both repeated it twice before the song ends with them striking a group pose. At the end of the song, the deafening cheers and screams from the crowd were so loud. The six girls let out a bright smile before Hyun Ah waved her hand in the air, saying, "Annyeonghaseyo! SOUL imnida!"

The six girls took a bow and went backstage, feeling relieved that their first official live performance went out perfectly as they thought it would be. The feeling of ecstasy and excitement still coursed within them like an adrenaline rush as they changed back to their casual clothes.

"I'll admit it: we were so awesome back there!" Xiong Mao said out loud, fixing her hair back to the way it was supposed to look like. There were murmurs of agreement going through the five girls, a wide smile on their faces.

"It's official: our first ever official performance was a success," Chaerin said, a wide smile on her face. Everyone cheered out loud as they exchanged high fives and hugs with each other, happy that their first ever performance was a huge success.

----

AUTHOR'S CORNER:

First Chapter finally done! What do you think of it? It's my first time to do a chapter on a live performance so I hope I did well enough to satisfy you guys.

Expect Chapter Two to be out soon ~