CHAPTER 006: SOUL TV

SOUL | 영혼 | SM ENTERTAINMENT'S NEW GIRL GROUP | STORY START

For the first time since they had their first stage performance, Hyun Ah woke up to the sound of her actual alarm clock and not for any other mad reasons — and it felt fantastic. She yawned and shoved the comforter and sat up in the bed, blinking into the early light. She noticed that Chaerin wasn't around, not that she mind anyways. Speckles of dust glimmered through the sunbeams that filtered through the windows. She sighed and rubbed her face, then got up to turned to her shared room with Chaerin properly...

... to heave a deep, exasperated sigh.

Like yesterday, the room was, once again, overrun by what seems to be dozens and dozens of coffee cups resting on top every surface — from mugs and teacups to thermos cups and Styrofoam ones.

Hyun Ah glowered at the mess of it all (which took forever to get rid without Chaerin's help yesterday) and then turned to the closed door and calleed, "You guys can stop doing this every morning!"

There was an eruption of barely restrained chortling and snickering from the other side of the door as the five girls of SOUL immediately fled for their lives, running to their respective rooms (except Chaerin, who decided to tag along with Sung Hwa), feet pounding on the wooden floors and the slamming of doors echoing across the dorm.

Hyun Ah glared and then turned back to the mess. He looked at her bedside table and saw that, like yesterday, one particularly dainty latte cup was sitting there with a post-it (while the others remained unidentified).

Look on the bright side, unnie: we must clearly like you a lot. - C

Torn between wanting to chuckle or wanting to strangle the sender, Hyun Ah just smiled wrlyly and scooped up the coffee cup, determined to find a lock for the doors that Xiong Mao couldn't definitely crack.

----

"Wait, what?" Xiong Mao queried, shell-shocked of what their manager had just said. He sighed and once again proceeded to explain to the girls, "I, along with Mr. Lee Soo Man, have decided that your new TV reality show is based on your daily life as you girls are busy with your individual activities and preparation for your first mini concert that is going to be in a few weeks from now. So, we decided to put cameras in the dorm to keep track of your movements, and after the end of each day, we'll send those tapes to Mr. Lee Soo Man."

"Isn't that like an invasion of privacy?" Sung Hwa asked, not at all pleased with this whole idea. 

"Don't worry about that," Their manager replied, "But we'll not film now."

Jinkyo sighed in relief. "Thank God. When exactly do we begin filming?"

"Someday... when you girls get back to your dorm, you'll spot a lot of cameras." Their manager said with a playful smile. Hyun Ah groaned, "Great. Just plain great."

"Sung Hwa, Chaerin, you girls are needed in the recording studio right now. We'll begin recording your new singles," Their manager said. Sung Hwa and Chaerin sighed and said their goodbye's to the rest of the members before disappearing into the door. Then, the manager turned to the remaining four girls. "You four don't have any schedules for the day, so you guys can continue to relax. But you girls better keep out of trouble."

The four girls just nodded their heads, earning a satisfied look from their manager. When he left the room, Hyeomin turned to the three girls. "What are we supposed to do now?"

"Anything that doesn' require us going out of the city," Xiong Mao said, giving a pointed look at the maknae. Hyeomin pouted, saying, "Aw... unnie. Are you still mad at me because of that unplanned jungle-trekking?"

Xiong Mao pretended to think. "Let me think... yes."

"Xiong Mao unnie, just let go of it," Jinkyo said. "Besides, the damage has been already done."

"So... what exactly are we going to do?" Xiong Mao asked. Hyun Ah pondered for a while before saying, "Let's just go back to the dorm and wait for Sung Hwa and Chaerin to finish their recording."

----

"— I sarangeun meomcheul suga eobtneyo."

The song ended as soon as Sung Hwa hit the last note followed by the short instrumental of the song. She let out a relieved sigh as the manager, producer, and song writer clapped at her performance. From one side of the studio, she could see Chaerin grinning and clapping softly towards her. Sung Hwa grinned as she removed the earphones and left the recording booth.

"You were great, Sung Hwa." Chaerin complimented. Sung Hwa's smile widened. "Thanks, unnie. Besides, I know you'll do better in yours."

"I hope so," Chaerin muttered darkly to herself as she went inside the recording booth. She adjusted the earphones on her head and began to sing with much emotion once the song started to play.

"Sarangeun neomu shipge byeonhaeman gatjyo —"

----

Hyun Ah, Xiong Mao, Jinkyo and Hyeomin came inside the dorm thirty minutes later, clueless that there was a camera in front of them.

"Oh? What's this?" Hyeomin wondered out loud, pointing at the camera. Xiong Mao and Hyun Ah finally took noticed of the camera, and covered their faces.

"Damn it! And I thought we wouldn't be filmed for a few more days or so!" Xiong Mao exclaimed. 

"Alright, everyone! Look for other cameras!" Hyun Ah commanded as everyone present split up and searched the entire dorm for cameras. 

"Unnie, there's one here in the living room!" Jinkyo reported.

"There's also one here!" Xiong Mao shouted from the kitchen.

"There's also one here in the hall way!" Hyeomin reported, showing a peace sign in front the camera.

"Yah! There's a camera in the rooms, too!" Hyun Ah exclaimed.

/Caption: Chaos in the Dorms!/

"Do we turn off the cameras?" Jinkyo queried from across the halls. There was no reply from the leader. Hyun Ah just bent down towards the camera that was in her shared room with Chaerin, "I'm going to have to turn you off..." Hyun Ah muttered, attempting to turn off the camera. Suddenly, Xiong Mao and Hyeomin appeared and grabbed both of Hyun Ah's arms, restraining her from turning off the camera.

"Yah! Let me go!" Hyun Ah yelled, struggling against the two girls' tight grips. Xiong Mao shook her head, grinning. "No way, unnie! We're not going to let you spoil the fun and turn off all the cameras!"

"But this is an invasion of privacy!" Hyun Ah hissed.

Hyeomin thought for a while before a good idea popped up in her head. "Unnie, I'll give you some soju if you promise not to turn off the cameras. Besides, I'll make sure that Chaerin-unnie doesn't know!"

Hyun Ah thought for a moment and stopped struggling, sighing in defeat, "Fine."

Xiong Mao and Hyeomin released their leader from their grip. Then, the prankster turned to the maknae with an impressed look. "... I'm impress, Hyeomin-ah. I wouldn't expect that our fearless leader would give into such a bribe."

Hyeomin beamed. "Gomawo, unnie."

----

[OFF-CAM]

"We're back, and — what happened to you guys?"

Sung Hwa and Chaerin stood in front of the living room, gawking at the rest of the girls who were sprawled across the living room, tired and stressed. Jinkyo looked up from the TV that was and just said, "Cameras... inside the dorms..."

Sung Hwa smacked a hand in her forehead. "Aish... they begun filmin SOUL TV already..."

"SOUL TV?" Xiong Mao queried, raising an eyebrow at the Main Vocalist. The latter just shrugged, "Well, that's what they're naming our new reality show, right?"

Hyun Ah pondered for a bit and just nodded, "I guess so. And I am not one bit happy with this new idea."

"Touche, unnie." Hyeomin said, sighing. 

"Okay... let's play a game." Chaerin said suddenly, removing her jacket and sitting beside Xiong Mao. The latter gave her a quizzical look. "... Does this game involve trekking across the city or something?"

Chaerin frowned. "Of course not. It's just us inside the dorm, of course."

"Good."

"But what kind of game?" Jinkyo asked curiously.

"I don't know. I know it's been weeks since we've all debut together, but none of us actually knew each other. We could use this to get to know each other some more."

"That sounds like fun!" Hyeomin piped up enthusiastically.

"And to make it more interesting, if any of us refuses to answer a question, they to do a dare or something!" Xiong Mao said with an evil grin. 

"Do we get to ask anything?" Jinkyo asked, worried about where this is going.

"Yeah, you could ask anything."

"Alright, I'm in." Jinkyo said, giving in to them.

The four girls shot pleading looks towards Sung Hwa and Hyun Ah. The two girls looked at each other and reluctantly agreed to their request.

"... Alright, count us in as well."

"Do we have to?" Sung Hwa asked, shooting Hyun Ah a pleading look.

"Why? Are you a chicken or something?" Xiong Mao said, the playful tone evident in her voice.

"Mwo! Ani! Fine, I'll play along!" Sung Hwa scoffed, shooting a glare at Xiong Mao.

Besides, what's the worse could happen?

----

"How about we start with the formal introductions." Chaerin said thoughtfully, Xiong Mao scoffed, "Unnie, please, we basically know each other's names already."

"Let's just go ahead with the introductions." Hyun Ah said hasitly. "Youngest first."

"Annyeonghaseyo!" Hyeomin said in her cheerful tone. Park Hyeomin imnida. I was born in the '95. Hope you'll all look after me!"

"Seo Jinkyo imnida. I like chocolates, fashion and aesthetics."

"Xiong Mao imnida." She said in a calm tone, but her eyes told another story. "And I know you guys are planning something on me..."

Hyun Ah, Sung Hwa and Hyeomin fidgeted in their places, looking anywhere besides Xiong Mao.

"Lee Sung Hwa imnida. Born in the '94. I'd appreciate if you guys stop looking over my shoulder and peek at what I'm in writing. "

"Kang Chaerin imnida. I'm born in the '92. If you guys need anyone to talk to, I'll listen," She said, smiling gently at them. "Even if I'm not the leader or anything, I'll take care of you guys."

"Im Hyun Ah imnida. The oldest and the leader of course." She said, before she proceeded to narrow her eyes at them. "And would you please stop giving me all those coffee!"

An outbreak of laughter erupted from the girls. Hyun Ah just scoffed and crossed her arms. As the laughter died down, Chaerin smiled and turned to Hyeomin. "Okay! So, I'll ask someone a question and then whoever I ask can ask someone else a question. If you refuse, you do a dare. No limits! So, I'll start with the maknae. Name three things that you like, Hyeomin-ah."

The maknae tilted her head slightly, thinking. "Well... I like Banana and Strawberry Milk, Korilakkuma and Rilakkuma, and pocky sticks."

"Pocky?" Sung Hwa queried, raising an eyebrow. Hyeomin nodded cheerfully. "Yep! They're really yummy! Jinkyo-ah, name three things you dislike."

"Well... invasions of privacy — "

"Like today," Xiong Mao muttered darkly. There were murmurs of agreement between the girls. To most of them, SOUL TV is definitely something they really don't look forward to.

"— cooking, and oldie music, especially trot." Jinkyo said, glancing slightly at Sung Hwa and Hyun Ah. THe two girls gaped slightly at the younger girl in shock. How could someone not like trot music?

"Sung Hwa unnie, who do you dislike the most among us?" Jinkyo asked softly. Everyone in the small circle turned to look at the Main Vocalist with looks of expectation. Sung Hwa bit her lower lip, before sighing and proceeding to say, "She's probably the one I dislike yet come to grown fond of the most... Xiong Mao, I guess."

"Yes! I knew you wouldn't hate me!" Xiong Mao exclaimed, pumping a fist in the air. Sung Hwa scoffed, "Don't push your luck, Xianrin. I still don't like you."

Hyun Ah rolled her eyes at the banter. "Alright, moving on."

"Hyun Ah unnie, any habits you care to tell us about?"

"Well, normally I would have to drink at least a bottle of soju before I could call it a day, but someone," Hyun Ah gave a pointed look at Chaerin. "Kept nagging on me about it, and basically forbid me to drink even a glass of soju. So, I'm practically sticking with coffee right now."

"Well, in my defense, drinking is bad, especially in the waking hours of the day!" Chaerin said defensively. The leader just rolled her eyes. "Whatever. So, Chaerin, who are you currently crushing on?"

"That's simple," Chaerin said with a smug smirk. "Ryeowook from Super Junior, and Taeyeon from SNSD."

"You like girls?" Jinkyo asked, sounding surprised.

"Guys and girls," Chaerin replied with a shrug. "Why? Afraid that I'm gonna jump on you guys while you're all asleep? Please, just because I'm biual doesn't mean that I'm going to act all lovey dovey on you guys."

"We didn't exactly say that," Sung Hwa said. "Besides, don't act all high and mighty just because you confess your uality to us."

"... you guys don't have a problem with that, right?" Chaerin asked in hesitation. Everyone looked at each other, before they gave a shake of their head. 

"No," Hyun Ah said slowly. "I think we understand perfectly well. Right, guys?"

There was a collective murmurs of agreement. Deciding to end the game on that, one by one the girls got up and went to bed. Hyeomin and Jinkyo retired to their rooms, feeling sleepy and tired after the 'camera incident'. Sung Hwa disappeared into the bathroom to take a shower before going to bed. Although Xiong Mao was on bed, she sat up on her laptop once more. Hyun Ah, meanwhile, was checking on Chaerin, who looked slightly shakened after revealing a confidential secret of hers to the group.

"Chaerin-ah," Hyun Ah called out. "If you're not ready to come out yet, why'd you tell them that you're bi?"

The Lead Vocalist just gave a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about it. Besides, I trust you guys with it. I mean, you guys won't tell anyone about it, right?"

Hyun Ah shrugged. "Most likely, I guess. But that's not the point. And if I were you, I'd be careful not to enclose too much confidential information to anyone. Even just to the younger dongsaengs."

"... Arasso. Night, unnie."

With that, the dorm fell quiet. Hyeomin and Jinkyo had fallen asleep. Xiong Mao was just closing her laptop to catch some shut eye. Sung Hwa, Chaerin and Hyun Ah were drifting off to sleep. They wouldn't think much of it now, but the girls are lucky to have each other.

----

AUTHOR'S CORNER

So, after that long hiatus (blame writer's block for that), I have finally updated. Well, SOUL TV had just started. And I kinda based it off from 2NE1 TV. Hehe. :3

And, we have some bonding moments there, and this time, it's not much of a wreck. But here we have Chaerin dropping the bomb on them that she's biual. Well, I promise you guys that I already planned that she's bi form the moment I made this story. But of course, the partner she'll be ending up with is a male.

Okay, my classes are going to start soon (I'm going to be a freshie! :3) so I won't update much for the next few weeks. I promise I'll try though. :)