*~Turn 26~*

The Many Faces Of Love

 

Days turned to months, and soon, two months had passed rather uneventfully. Heechul was up to his neck juggling his schoolwork and his career at the pub. However, he seemed to have recovered from the pub incident for his mood was relatively good for the month. Yonni was still suffering in the student council alongside Leejin, but the two of them were learning to take little bits of joys from their ridiculous duties.

 

As for Sungmin, his father and twin brother did not contact him again after their first meeting. However, the doubts that surfaced with their appearances continued to haunt him. Kyuhyun noticed that Sungmin seemed more perturbed, but the latter assured him everything was fine when he enquired about it. He assumed that his cousin’s woes was due to his unsuccessful confession, but was unable to do anything for he had promised Yonni that he would not be bugging her about the incident.

 

It was the Sunday before Heechul’s birthday and the three younger housemates had decided to throw a surprise birthday party in his honor. Yonni had volunteered to take the duty to prepare the food and declined when Sungmin offered his hand. She explained that it was her beloved brother’s birthday, and she wanted him to taste the entirety of her love for him.

 

Heechul was meeting his friends for a movie and promised that he would be back for dinner when Yonni complained that he hadn’t been having meals with her due to his busy schedule. Soon after he left, the other three also headed out. Yonni was going to the supermarket while Kyuhyun and Sungmin were going downtown to get Heechul’s birthday presents.

 

After purchasing all the things she needed, Yonni started in the direction of their apartment, lugging bags full of groceries strenuously. However, just as she reached the front gates of their building, her eyes caught sight of a familiar creature. A black and white cat with a green collar that was prowling around the flower bushes near the front entrance.

 

Feeling surprised at the rare appearance of a cat near their building, Yonni clicked her tongue to catch the feline’s attention as she stopped near it. To her greater surprise, she noticed that the cat had a single patch of black fur in the shape of a teardrop just below its left eye.

 

Teardrop?

 

That was the first thought that crossed her mind as the cat started sashaying in her direction. Setting her grocery bags down, she picked up the feline in earnest. It purred contently as it stretched its head out and sniffed gingerly at Yonni before emitting a happy meow, just like Teardrop always did when she saw Yonni.

 

Is it Teardrop? But I remembered Teardrop’s collar is red… Maybe I should call Leeteuk oppa…

 

Settling the cat down gently, Yonni checked her pockets for her phone. The cat did not move away, instead choosing to weave in and out between Yonni’s legs, rubbing continuously. After patting all her pockets frantically, Yonni’s search produced nothing. She gave herself a mental slap as she suddenly recalled the location of the device.

 

Aish… I left it on the counter top! Sigh…

 

With no other options, Yonni picked up all her bags and starting moving in the direction of the lobby, planning to leave them by the lift before coming out around the front again to carry the cat. However, the cat started following behind her as soon as she turned and left. Just like that, Yonni brought the feline home without much trouble.

 

Once she opened the door to their apartment, the cat bounded in straightaway as if it was its own house and Yonni found it settled comfortably on the couch in the living room. As Yonni was unpacking the groceries in the kitchen, the cat found its way to her again and wound its body tightly around Yonni’s legs.

 

What are the chances that this is a cat that looks exactly like Teardrop? If it’s really another cat, I’ll pester the boys to let me keep it!

 

Finding herself becoming increasingly unable to concentrate on her tasks with the purring bundle of fur begging for attention at her feet, she lifted the purring bundle of fur up by its front legs and rubbed noses with the feline lovingly before placing it down onto the sofa. She decided to check with Leeteuk to make sure that they weren’t the same cat. With a small smile, she picked up her mobile phone and dialed Leeteuk number, the cat as she waited for him to pick up the call.

 

She had gotten closer to Leeteuk as the two of them had been maintaining contact after the accident, going on vet trips and excursions together. Within the two months, they had already met up for more than 8 times. Yonni felt very happy on each of these occasions because it was then when she could hold Teardrop in her arms for a long while, feeling the gentle warmth of the animal edging its way deep into her heart.

 

I really love cats! That’s why I’m always so happy when I can go out with Teardrop!

 

“Yoboseyo?”

 

“Annyeonghasaeyo! Leeteuk oppa? Am I disturbing you?”

 

“Oh, Yonni? It’s fine, I’m not doing anything now. Is anything the matter?”

 

“Yes… Actually… I’m wondering about Teardrop,”

 

“Teardrop? Oh, did you want to meet her? I’m free now actually,”

 

“No! I mean… Yes I would want to see her, but that’s not the reason I called. You see… I’m wondering if Teardrop is at home….”

 

“Y-You want to… talk to her?”

 

The incredulous tone that Leeteuk used in his last question caused Yonni to burst out laughing. On the other side of the line, Leeteuk was also laughing along as he realized how silly his question sounded. Surprised by the sudden noise, Teardrop got up from her seat on the couch and jumped onto Yonni’s lap, rubbing the top of her head against the girl’s chin affectionately.

 

“Meow~~”

 

“What was that?”

 

Leeteuk was shocked when a loud meow suddenly rang out through the receiver.

 

“The reason I called!”

 

“The reason yo- What?”

 

“I found a cat near my house that looks exactly like Teardrop. So I was wondering if it is actually her,”

 

“Really? I don’t think so. Teardrop should be at home. Let me check, just in case. Please hold on for a moment!”

 

With that, Yonni listened on as she heard the occasional shuffling of feet while Leeteuk walked around the house, continuously calling out Teardrop’s name. After a while, there was a soft rustling when Leeteuk picked up the phone again.

 

“Yonni! I can’t find Teardrops anywhere at home. Is she wearing a green collar?”

 

“Green? I though Teardrop was wearing a red one with her tag?”

 

“I changed her collar to a green one yesterday, and I didn’t have the time to put on her tag just yet…”

 

“Is it green with a gold buckle?”

 

“Ne!”

 

“Ah… Then I really have Teardrop with me. How did she get loose?”

 

“I have no idea. I’m so sorry for my neglect! Where can I meet you to pick her up?”

 

“It's not very convenient for me to leave the house now. I'm halfway through preparing dinner. Do you think you can drop by my house to pick Teardrop up?”

 

“Eh? Yonni, you're preparing dinner?”

 

“Ne. Haha! Oppa, why do you sound so surprised?”

 

“Mianhae, I don't mean anything. I just didn't expect you to be the one preparing dinner,”

 

“Haha! In that case, you'll have to stay for dinner! I have to show you how good a cook I am!”

 

“Ani! Please don't go to the trouble!”

 

“It's okay. It's nearly dinner time anyway. I'm sure you haven't had your meal yet, right?”

 

“Sorry to trouble you then. I'll be there in a while,”

 

“Okay, I'll text you my address in a while!”

 

While waiting for Yonni's message to arrive, Leeteuk walked over to his door and studied it closely. How Teardrop managed to sneak out of the house was a big mystery to him. Just then, his sharp ears caught the dull thuds that the curtains made as they flopped against the glass windows. The thuds were amplified in the quiet house which was empty saved for Leeteuk. Donghae and Eunhyuk had already left the house when he returned from his morning milkman shift, resulting to the silence that hung heavily in the air.

 

Walking over to the flying curtain, he was greeted by a strong breeze that cruised in through the windows which was wide open.

 

They must have forgotten to close the windows before they left the house... Did Teardrop climb out through the windows? But we're on the 3rd storey... How did she manage it?

 

Leaning out of the windows, it occurred to Leeteuk that there was a big tree near their window. Though not close enough to block their view of the outside world, the distance was close enough for a cat to make a big leap.

 

She must have gotten out of the house through here…

 

With a helpless shake of his head, he was about to turn around when he suddenly spied a flower cart some distance away. There seemed to be a flower charity sale going on as the little girls manning the cart were stopping passer-bys and pointing back to their cart with a pleading look.

 

That right… I should get a bouquet of flowers as a visiting gift. Other gifts might be better but I really have no idea what to buy. Oh yes, maybe I should take the Belgium chocolates that they gave to me the other time as well… Now, where did I place it?

 

It only took Leeteuk a few minutes to find the box of chocolate he was searching for. Being a little of a neat freak, the food items were always kept in the kitchen cabinets. Grabbing a nice gift bag from his storeroom, he hurriedly slid the chocolates in and left the house after grabbing his wallet and mobile phone.

 

Back in Yonni’s house, she had already started on the preparations of the birthday feast. A sense of contentment filled Yonni's heart when she sneaked a glance at Teardrop as she deftly sliced the piece of raw chicken before her. The feline had planted herself comfortably on the couch, tail swishing gently from left to right as she groomed herself.

 

No wonder they say that cats possess a calming effect. Look at her! So carefree!

 

All of a sudden, Teardrop raised her head abruptly and stared intently at the door before jumping off the couch in a single leap, heading straight in that direction. Yonni didn't even have the time to put down her knife when the intercom started singing its welcome song.

 

Who could it be? It can't be Leeteuk oppa right? 15 minutes... It's too soon to be him.

 

However, to Yonni's greatest surprise, one look at the screen of the intercom showed that it was indeed the familiar golden brown hair boy. Flustered, Yonni hurriedly washed her hands and rushed to get the door. Bowing deeply in greetings as she wiped her wet hands on her apron as discreetly as she could, she welcomed Leeteuk into their house.

 

Side-stepping into the house as Yonni gently closed the door, Leeteuk had both his hands held behind his back. Before she could question him about his queer behaviour, Leeteuk gave her a small bow as he pulled a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a small bag from his back and presented it to the girl.

 

“OH! For me? Th-Thank you…”

 

A small blush was working its way up Yonni’s face as she took the bouquet and gift bag from Leeteuk bashfully. The older boy rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly while he gave her a dimpled smile. Silence then reigned in the house as the two people simply stood there, each unsure of what to say next. Luckily, Teardrop eased the awkwardness that was hanging in the area by yowling out for attention.

 

Fifteen minutes later, Yonni was back in the kitchen fixing a drink for her guest. The bouquet of flowers that Leeteuk had brought with him as a visit gift was now standing proudly in a beautiful white vase at the middle of the dining table. He was leaning against the bar top while looking around the house in interest. Teardrop was snoozing on the floor near the window in the rays of sunlight that was streaming in.

 

“Oppa, was my house this easy to find? You were so fast! Did you fly here?”

 

“Actually, I don’t know about you but I find it very coincidental. I’m just staying downstairs.”

 

“MWO? REALLY? You stay downstairs?!”

 

“Ne, on the third floor! Haha! I was really surprised too!”

 

“Ah… No wonder I was able to find Teardrop when she got loose! Oh my, this is really such a coincidence!”

 

“And it’s really strange that we’ve gone out a few times together, but never reached home at the same time!”

 

“Haha! Ne! It’s so strange! I don’t know whether to say there’s affinity between us because we actually stay so near each other, or to say that there’s no affinity between us because even though we stay so near, we’ve never seen each other!”

 

“I think, it’s affinity that we’re staying near, but fate’s joke that we’ve never met!”

 

“Totally agree! Oppa, do feel free to look around the house. I’ll have to start preparing dinner now, if not I won’t be able to make it on time,”

 

“Are you all alone at home?”

 

“Ne, everybody else has gone out. They will be home for dinner though. Is there any food that you are allegic to oppa?”

 

“Nope. I eat almost everything! Would I be imposing on your family? Aish… I should have brought more gifts for your parents too,”

 

“Haha! Actually, in this household there’s only my oppa and some friends. We’re not from the city, just here because of studies. So Leeteuk oppa, you don’t have to worry because it will all be youngsters tonight! It’s my Oppa’s birthday and we’re having a surprise party for him,”

 

“Really? You should have told me! I would have brought a birthday present for him!”

 

“Aigoo, you don’t have to go to the expense. You don’t even know my oppa! If you really feel bad, can you help me hang up the decorations?

 

“Okay! That big bag by the TV console?”

 

Leaving Leeteuk to sort out the different bunches of streamers and balloons, Yonni then hurriedly returned to her cooking. A quick look at the time showed that it was almost three in the afternoon. She only had approximately four hours before Heechul returned from his movie trip. Heaving a huge sigh, she hastened to cut up all the different ingredients that laid in a neat row before her.

 

An hour later, the older boy was able to hang up all the decorations all by himself. Stepping back to admire his handiwork, he silently gave himself a pat on the shoulders for a job well done. Emptying the remainder of his drink in a single gulp, he trudged towards the kitchen to see if there were any other things that he could help with.

 

Yonni had already finished cutting up all the necessary ingredients and was already stirring a pot of thick sauce when Leeteuk walked up behind her silently. Looking around the kitchen, he was impressed that there were already a couple of dishes on the bar top. The chef was so focused in stirring the current pot on the stove that she did not even notice him.

 

Oh! The food smells really yummy! How often does Yonni cook? She is really good at it… Does she cook everyday?

 

“Oh! Oppa! You scared me! Don’t stand behind me without making any sound!”

 

Yonni chided as she stood there holding the steaming pot in her right hand. With an apologetic smile, Leeteuk immediately stepped aside to allow her to set the pot down beside the rest of the completed dishes on the bar top. Lifting the cover out of curiosity, he found it to be filled with pasta sauce.

 

“Exactly how many people are going to be here for your oppa’s party later?”

 

“Hmm… Me, you, Kyuhyun… Five!”

 

“Fi-Five? Isn’t this a little too much food for five people?!”

 

Leeteuk exclaimed as he motioned to the full bar top. From Korean-style to Western-style, the wide array of food was enough to feed at least 10 people. Yonni laughed as she moved about in the kitchen to get the ingredients she needed to make her last item- Sushi.

 

“Trust me, Leeteuk oppa. Excluding the both of us, I’m feeding three ogres,”

 

“Ogres? Haha! Are you making sushi?”

 

“Ne! Actually all of the food items that I prepared tonight are the favourite of at least one of the guests. Like my oppa’s favourite is kimchi fried rice, and the other two people’s favourites are hamburgers and seafood,”

 

“And I like sushi,”

 

Speaking at the same time, the two stared at each other in surprise. It did not occur to the duo that they might have the same favourite food. Living in the same building, sharing the same pet, having the same favourite food, the day was revealing more and more of the entwinement of their fates. Working together to spread the different bowls containing the many ingredients across the dining table, they began making sushi together.

 

“Oppa! You’re putting too much rice!”

 

“No I’m not! If not the sushi will have nothing when you eat it!”

 

“The seaweed’s gonna burst when you wrap it up!”

 

“It will be fine! Oh! Your maki looks really good!”

 

“It’s because it’s not fat like yours!”

 

“Give me one! I want to try one!”

 

“Arasso! Open up!”

 

“We’re home!”

 

Kyuhyun’s and Sungmin’s voices rang out in harmony as they stepped through the screen door into the living room. Leeteuk and Yonni were so noisy that they did not even hear the front door unlocking. The two cousins had stumbled in on the scene of Leeteuk opening his mouth wide while Yonni was putting a piece of the maki sushi that she was making into his mouth. The latter pair had paused in surprise at the sudden return of the boys

 

“W-What are the two of you doing?”

 

Sungmin stuttered as he took in the scene before him in confusion. Beside him, Kyuhyun was just as surprised to see a stranger in the house. Eyeing Leeteuk, who was trying his best to chew and swallow his food at the fastest speed possible, Yonni put down the knife she was holding and stepped forward to join the two boys in the living room.

 

“Wel-Welcome home! Umm, we were preparing the food for tonight’s party. Sungmin-ah, did you manage to get the thing I wanted?”

 

“Ne, I got it. Annyeonghasaeyo, I believe this is our second meeting,”

 

Sungmin had recovered from his shock and had bowed politely in greeting to Leeteuk, who hastened to return the greeting. Yonni took the chance to introduce Kyuhyun to Leeteuk and explained to the boys that she had invited Leeteuk to join in Heechul’s surprise party. After that, Leeteuk and Yonni went back to making their sushi while Kyuhyun and Sungmin went ahead with the wrapping of the various presents. Kyuhyun and Sungmin had gotten Heechul the Kinect machine that he wanted, together with some games while Yonni had gotten a pair of customised drum sticks for her brother to use during his performances.

 

But… He don’t even know Heechul hyung! Why is Yonni always with this guy? What’s happening between the two of them?

 

Wrapping the various gifts with more vigour than needed, Sungmin was watching the exchange between Yonni and Leeteuk sourly. The duo seemed to be having immense fun making sushi together for there was a constant outburst of laughter as they teased and made fun of each other’s handicraft.

 

“Oppa! Why are your sushi in such weird shapes? That one looks hexagon!”

 

“Mwo?! It’s rectangle!”

 

“No! It’s a weird shape!”

 

“There’s something wrong with your eyes. Look!”

 

“What’s that?”

 

“I’ve made one that looks like you!”

 

“Yah! How does that look like me?”

 

“It’s in a weird shape! Just like you!”

 

“Yah! What do you mean I’m in a weird shape?”

 

Totally oblivious to the envious looks that were being sent their way, Yonni smacked Leeteuk playfully on his shoulders while the latter simply laughed along good naturedly. Every single giggle or smile that the pair shared was sending wave after wave of pain into her silent admirer’s already wounded heart. In contrast, the same actions were sending little jolts of happiness through Yonni’s heart.

 

Leeteuk oppa is so funny! Why can’t Heechul, Kyuhyun or Sungmin be like him? Aww… It will definitely make my life so much more enjoyable!

 

Smiling to herself sweetly as she returned to her task at hand, the day had been really fun for her. Teardrop’s twice-a-week vet visits, picnic trips to the city’s central park, all the times when she went out with Leeteuk for the past months were similarly enjoyable. They always seemed to have endless things to talk about, endless jokes to laugh about. In fact, Yonni felt very comfortable with the older boy, as if they had already known each other for a long while, instead of just two months.

 

Likewise, Leeteuk was also enjoying himself. Yonni was an innocent and jubilant girl who seemed to have never-ending energy, and her joyfulness was very contagious. Whenever they went out together with Teardrop, there was a smile on her face at all times. Playful yet gentle, she was like the little sister that Leeteuk wished Leejin was. Although they had only known each other for a short time, Yonni was such a simple girl that he could already more or less see what kind of person she is.

 

“Yonni! He’s coming in through the front gates!”

 

Kyuhyun’s sudden exclamation sent her into panic mode as she immediately rushed into the kitchen to get the box containing the cake. Following close behind her, Leeteuk went to help Yonni while Kyuhyun and Sungmin proceeded to clear the wrapping paper and ribbons from the living room. Moments later, the birthday cake was lit properly and all four were waiting patiently by the door, with Yonni, Sungmin and Kyuhyun side by side in the front and Leeteuk standing directly behind Yonni.

 

“Oh! There’s the front door unlocking!”

 

“Yah! Babo-ni! Keep it down! Hyung’s gonna hear you”

 

“Shh! He’s comi-”

 

“I’m ho-”

 

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”

 

Heechul almost jumped out of his skin when the loud harmonized holler interrupted his sentence. He tore his eyes away from the screen of his phone that he had been staring at and found his sister, together with his other two housemates gathered in front of him. Yonni was holding beautiful chocolate cake with lit candles while Kyuhyun and Sungmin were waving balloons animatedly.

 

“Oppa! Come on! Blow out the candles!”

 

“That’s right hyung! The wax is getting onto the cake!”

 

However, Heechul’s attention was elsewhere. Whilst he was looking at the cake which Yonni was holding, his eyes fell onto the taller figure behind his smiling sister. As it dawned onto him who the person was, Heechul couldn’t help but mirror the look of ultimate shock that the person was wearing on his face.

 

“Lee-Leeteuk? Eh? Lee Parkteuk! What are you doing in my house?!”

 

“Hee-Heechul?!”