Ten

Rainbow

“Byunghun, wait up!” Sanghee caught up to him looking more than annoyed. “What’s wrong?”

 “I…I don’t like it when you don’t pay attention to me,” he admitted sullenly. “I’m one of your best friends, and you’re one of mine, you know.”

Sanghee softened. “I know, but there’s no need to overreact.”

“I’m not overreacting, I think I have a perfect excuse to act like this,” Byunghun snapped.

“Yeah? What excuse?” Sanghee scowled.

“You’re my best friend, okay? I’m around you every day, I talk to you every day, I text you every day, and…honestly, it feels weird when we’re not together, okay?”

“Oh…” Sanghee said quietly. “Sometimes I feel that way too, but we have to get past being jealous. We’re best friends, remember?”

“But…” Byunghun took a deep breath. “Sanghee, can I ask why you get jealous of other girls hanging around me?”

Sanghee was startled by the question. “What?”

“Please, answer the question?” he asked.

“Well, I don’t like the way they act around you,” Sanghee answered softly. “They act all cutesy and bubbly when they’re with you, but they’re completely different when you’re not around. They just want you because of your appearance.”

“Then, why should they want me?” Byunghun persisted.

“Because of your personality, of course,” Sanghee said. “I mean, you’re smart and funny, and sometimes you’re an idiot and you break the rules, but you genuinely care about people, and I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“You know who wouldn’t hurt me?”

“Who?”

“You.”