One

Rainbow

Upon entering the classroom, Sanghee was surprised to discover the hidden musical talents of her classmates. Several of them were wielding trumpets, saxophones, clarinets and more; a good number of them were holding only sheet music for the piano, and still some were using their voices.

Sanghee turned to her friend. “I finally get to hear you play,” she announced ruefully. “I begged for years and years, and only now you–”

“Oh, shut up.” The other girl rolled her eyes. “We never get to hear you play piano.”

“That’s because I’m terrible!”

“I don’t believe you!”

“Well, you should!”

“Why should I –”

There was suddenly a horrible screeching noise, and everyone in the class looked to the source – a brown-haired boy who was grinning mischievously, holding a violin in one hand and the bow in the other. Flustered, his friend snatched the violin back, whispering hasty reprimands under his breath.

The teacher scowled. “Lee Byunghun, what was that?”

“I was just playing violin.” The troublemaker shrugged, looking unaffected by the angry glares the teacher was shooting him.

The teacher sighed heavily, visibly trying to calm herself. “And do you intend to play the violin for our showcase today?”

Sanghee hoped not, if that was how he was going to play, but fortunately the boy – Byunghun, she corrected herself, shook his head. “No.” And before anyone could wonder what he was going to perform, he added, “I’m going to rap.”

Byunghun seemed to be oblivious to the looks the class was giving him; most of them seemed incredulous, but some of the girls had started whispering amongst themselves. With a small smirk – perhaps he wasn’t completely oblivious – he opened his mouth, and began rapping.

Days when I thought I could forget you keep increasing
My own delusion of you coming back is torturing me.

He finished his mini performance, smirk melting into a grin as he winked at Sanghee, who felt her jaw drop. Fortunately, the small group of girls were too busy melting over his sweet lyrics to notice the arrogant display of affection.

“Sanghee, you should shut your mouth,” her friend advised.

“I don’t even know him!” Sanghee hissed, blushing slightly. How could she not? She had to admit, he was pretty cute.

“Is there anything else you have to show us?” the teacher said slowly, looking slightly impressed.

Byunghun shrugged. “Well, I actually do play violin. And piano. I can sing a little bit.”

“Could you please show us?” one of his fangirls piped up. The class voiced their agreement with nods and murmurs.

“Actually, I’d like to see everyone else’s performances,” Byunghun said graciously, before gesturing towards Sanghee. “Why doesn’t this lovely lady show us her musical skills?”

“But I’m terrible!” The words slipped out, and Sanghee flushed, shooting a nasty look at the rapper.

 Sanghee’s friend shoved her towards the piano, flashing a smile at the rest of the class. “No, she’s not!”

“But–”

“Park Sanghee, is it? Very well, go on,” the teacher said, amused.


*the rap is from Going Crazy