A Pinch of Obsession

Light the Torch

 

Lu Han and Lay sat down at their lunch date. It turns out that the girls already had lunch reservations a a sandwich shop restaurant. They talked a bit.
 
"What do you think it means when someone gets mad about a compliment?" Lu Han asked the girls, wondering what Xiumin was doing right about now. He was itching to see his face really badly. Why were they fighting again? He couldn't even remember.
 
"Who would get mad at a compliment?"
 
"Exactly," replied Lu Han, to which Lay rolled his eyes at.
 
". . . Unless you were being sarcastic. I mean, my friends always tell me, 'Gosh, Amy, you're soooo smart.' I hate it. I fail almost every class I take, ugh."
 
"They're just jealous because they're not beautiful, Amy."
 
"Looks are all I have going for me!" she buried her face in her newly-manicured hands.
 
"That's not true," Lu Han cheered her, then went off into a day dream. "Man. . . I really want to see him. I'll apologize or whatever. As long as he's not mad at me anymore. Oh, I want to some more and see his cute face!
 
Lay saw Lu Han's distracted face, and began to say, "Hey, Lu Han, didn't we have another place to get to? It's already almost 1 o'clock."
 
The girls heaved out sounds of disapproval. "You're leaving?"
 
Lu Han looked over at him weirdly, then realized that they were making a break for it. He put his acting skills to use immediately.
 
Eyes widened, he proclaimed, "Oh, you're right! We. . . gotta leave now. Sorry gals. Maybe later?" He winked as he got up from the bistro table, picking up his shopping bag as he rose. Lay waited for him at the shop entrance and they skedaddled like madmen.
 
"We just have bad luck today," said the taller girl, and a waitress came by with their orders.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
They were actually browsing now, as they headed down the walk to the movie theater down the east wing of the mall. 
 
After Chen and Kris returned, Tao let go of Xiumin's hand and looked over the other way, his face burning. Xiumin felt a little shy now. When Kris saw that Xiumin was no longer distressed, he suggested that they go watch a film at the theater, like Tao suggested earlier in the car, and they agreed to go, and left the patio court.
 
Kris and Tao stood on either side of Xiumin, like protective walls, and Chen followed slightly behind, trying to make out letters and words out of all the shop signs they passed by.  Xiumin, as always, cast his eyes down, but would occasionally glance up to see how much further the theater was--it was still way down there. On his third glance up, he suddenly thought he saw Lu Han. He looked up again. It was Lu Han. He and Lay were on the other side of the hall still way ahead of them, heading in their direction, leaving the vicinity of what looked like a sandwich shop. Lu Han pushed Lay and started laughing, and Lay laughed too. What idiots, he thought.
 
When he realized he was staring, he turned his focus back to the ground tiles, and began counting his steps again. Tao noticed them coming this way too, and tried to step a little bit more in front of Xiu to block his vision, but it was too late anyway. He already saw him.
 
Then they were spotted. Lay waved at Kris, who unfortunately stood out in any crowd, and hurried toward them, Lu Han following with his bag of shirts.
 
"Look, we found you guys!" Lay said with enthusiasm, and they stopped to congregate.
 
Lu Han gazed at Xiumin, wanting to get closer, but Tao's and Kris' position made it impossible. So he just stood there.
 
"What are you guys up to?" Lay asked.
 
"Going to the movies," Kris replied, pointing down the hall.
 
"What's on?"
 
"Don't know. Just thought we'd go see."
 
"Oh, then I'll go too. I can help translate for Minseok and Jongdae," Lay told him, and smiled, revealing his dimple.
 
"That's my job," laughed Lu Han, as he gave Lay a nudge on the shoulder. Lu Han glanced at Xiumin again, wishing they weren't in a little crowd. He wanted to be with him alone. He wished Xiumin wasn't upset at him right now. He wanted to apologize but right now would be awkward. It seemed like Tao and Kris were blocking him? Maybe when it was quiet in the theater, he could take him aside and say sorry.
 
What if he doesn't forgive me? The thought twisted him into knots inside. He held his breath as he drowned in guilt.
 
They all walked together down to the theater.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Lay was telling Kris about the encounter with the girls. As models, he addressed them, so Kris wouldn't think they were hanging with random girls like normal guys. They were idols now, so they shouldn't parade themselves like that. It would give a bad image.
 
"Lu Han was being weird, so we had to ditch them," Lay said, bluntly.
 
"How was I being weird?" Lu Han whined.
 
"You were staring at the floor, and you smiled at it. That's definitely being weird!" Lay proclaimed, making everyone, save Xiumin, laugh.
 
"Whatever. I wasn't smiling at the floor. I was thinking about. . ." his eyes glanced over to Xiumin, then quickly forward again, "someone." He glanced back at Xiumin again.
 
Tao caught his glance, and shot him a murderous glare, which Lu Han didn't understand. Tao proceeded to lock his right arm through Xiumin's, and Lu Han just looked at them, slightly irked with envy. I wanna touch him too, he thought.
 
Am I weird? It's like I'm obsessed. With. . . him. He looked over at Xiumin again, for the umpteenth time, and just this once, Xiumin glanced up, drooping, and their eyes met, causing them both to numb inside. Lu Han's heart skipped a beat, and he gently touched his chest there, and could feel it through his shirt: his heart was racing.
 
Oh man. . . I am weird. He itched the back of his head, and walked along, resisting the urge to look at the object of his affection.
 
Alone. He thought. I need to be with him alone.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The members stared at the movie titles on display. One was starting right then, at 1:10pm.
 
"The Viral Factor, " read Lu Han, mouth slightly agape, as he read the others.
 
"Sounds interesting. . ." input Kris, nodding his approval.
 
"There's no martial arts movies," complained Tao, who disappointedly pouted. 
 
"It's about to start. Did you guys want to watch? I do," Kris went ahead to pay for him, Lay, and Chen, who went up there with him. Kris waved bye and went through the theater lane to find the movie room. This left Tao, Xiumin, and Lu Han to decide whether they wanted to go or not. Lu Han was interested. . . but his head was more occupied with thoughts of seizing Xiumin from Tao.
 
With only two of them there, Lu Han felt it less awkward to ask to speak to Xiumin.
 
"Minseok-hyung. . ." he began, "we need to talk." At this statement, Tao held Xiumin hostage behind him; Xiumin didn't react; he'd been out of it since this morning.
 
"Lu Han-gege, you only hurt him. There's nothing to say. Actually, just don't speak to him. Ever," Tao retorted, still blocking Xiumin from Lu Han's grabby hands.
 
"I've never hurt him," replied Lu Han, forcefully.
 
"That's a lie," Tao shook his head, standing his ground.
 
"How would you know? Just because you're roommates, it doesn't mean you know everything," Lu Han was being petty.
 
"He told me," Tao stated coldly, and that hit Lu Han like a shove in the chest.
 
"That's why. . . that's why we need to talk. . ." muttered Lu Han, having difficulty in trying to recover. "Minseok-hyung. . . will you?"
 
"Stop it."
 
"Minseok."
 
"Cut it out."
 
"Tao, this isn't your business, so leave us alone."
 
"Minseok-gege is my friend, so yes, it is my--" Xiumin finally stepped out from behind Tao and put a hand over the younger man's mouth. When Lu Han actually took a good look at him, he appeared so drained, lifeless. Doll-like, even.
 
"He's right, Tao. I can't drag you into this. Go be with Kris and the others."
 
"No, I'm not leaving you here. With him. No."
 
"Please, Tao." 
 
The younger said nothing, but turned away, heading toward the ticket booth, walking briskly, annoyed beyond belief. To this, Xiumin heaved a relieving sigh. It wasn't that he didn't want Tao here supporting him. He just didn't want to let him see him cry again. After all, he is a grown man! Crying at this age is ridiculous.
 
". . . Minseok," Lu Han uttered, lovingly, reaching out to him. Xiumin found himself in Lu Han's arms. "I'm sorry, okay? I'm really sorry. So don't be mad," he said, smelling his hair. Being able to do this again made Lu Han's heart flutter.
 
Mad? Was I mad? He wasn't. "I'm not mad," Xiumin mumbled into Lu Han's chest. He wasn't hugging back.
 
"You're not?" he asked, surprised.
 
". . ."
 
"There's no way. You're still upset at me. I know it. You won't even hug me back!" reasoned Lu Han, his eyes shut tightly, his arms squeezing Xiumin's body closer to him. After several seconds, Lu Han realized what a scene he was making. In the middle of a mall cinema. How embarrassing! He blushed a little at his boldness. He definitely makes me weird, he thought.
 
". . . Follow me," Lu Han told him, holding his hand, pulling him to somewhere where they could be alone, away from other's prying eyes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A/N: The girls originally had a bigger role, but I decided to change it, so they didn't have to be involved.
Instead, they play a minor part in Lu Han realizing his weird obession. Xiumin seems really submissive here. ;o;
 
NOW. FOR A QUESTION. in the next chapter y/n?