Chapter 5

Konoha Academy: A Naruto Fanfiction

 

“Eh, basketball game?” I asked looking up from my comic book. Hinata smiled brightly at me.

“Yes, there's one in half an hour. Do you want to go?” she asked. I looked at her in suspicion. She didn’t take me as the type to be interested in sports.

“Yeah, sure,” I said putting my comic away. I grabbed my sneakers and tied them on my feet. “So, how good is our basketball team?”

“They were National Champions last year,” she said. “If it wasn’t for Sasuke and Naruto, I don’t think they would have won.”

“Those two are on the basketball team? Oh man, now I really have to see this game,” I said heading out the door.

“So, how do you like Konoha Academy so far?” Hinata asked.

“I hated it at first, but now its not so bad. These last two weeks were really something,” I said smiling.

“Yeah, especially when you started that food fight,” she said laughing.

“Hey, Neji started it. I don’t see why he was so mad,” I said defending myself.

“Well, you did say he looked like a girl.”

“Oh yeah, I did say that,” I said laughing. Ah, good times.

We walked to the gym chatting in excitement. I had no idea what Hinata was so excited about, but I wanted to see how Sasuke and Naruto played together. Those guys are always arguing. Well, Sasuke would do all the arguing while Naruto would have a stupid grin on his face. The bleachers were packed on both sides. There were a lot of signs, cheering, and insults.

“You guys !” someone from Konoha’s side yelled. Suddenly, food and drinks were being thrown. Hinata and I took shelter under some bleachers to avoid getting hit.

“Whoa, they’re really serious about this game,” I said watching show before me. “Wait a minute, I recognize some people. Who are they playing against?”

“Iwagakure Academy,” Hinata said looking around.

“Ah hell,” I said sighing. “Hinata, who are you looking for?”

“What? I’m not looking for anyone,” she said nervously. “We should go find some seats.”

“Narukooooo!” I heard Naruto yell. I turned to see Naruto making his way toward us, dodging food and drinks. “You came to see me play?”

“I had no idea you were on the team. Hinata invited me here,” I said. I turned to look at Hinata to see her blushing.

Okay Naruko, think. Why is Hinata always blushing? She only does when Naru—

“Sweet baby Jesus, I figured it out!” I yelled pointing at her. “Naruto, leave. We need to have a girl time.”

“Maybe I can help,” Naruto said.

“We’re going to talk about tampons.”

“Oh man, is that Sasuke calling me? I should go,” Naruto said hurrying away. I shook my head smiling.

“You like Naruto, don’t you?” I asked bluntly. Her face flushed and she began to stutter. I put my hand over to shut her up. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell him or anyone else. That’s so cute, you having a crush!”

“No, don’t look at me!” she said covering her face.

“But you look adorable! Let me see, let me see!” I said trying to remove her hands. I finally left her alone when she dropped to the floor hiding her face. “Okay, I’ll leave you alone. We should find seats.”

We emerged from the bleachers, looking around cautiously. There were no signs of flying food, thankfully. Naruto saved us seats at the front near the players. I smiled mischievously as I snuck up on Sasuke.

“What up Mr. Moody?” I said in his ear. He jumped and looked at me in anger. A fit of laughter erupted from me. “Oh man, you should have seen your face!”

“Damn it Naruko! Why are you even here?!” he asked.

“Well, I heard you guys were playing, so I had to see it,” I said. “You don’t want me here?”

“I never said that,” he mumbled while turning away. “Just don’t bother me.”

“Fine, fine,” I said leaning back in my seat.

The game was about to start. The players stopped practicing and walked back to their team and huddled around their coach. I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw Kakashi as their coach. This lazy guy was their coach? He said a few words to them and sent them out to the court.

The game started. Both teams were good, neither trying not to let the other score. But soon enough, Iwagakure was winning by ten points. Konoha looked tired and worn out.

“Come on guys, you can do it!” I yelled. I couldn’t help but get fired up. Sports does that to me.

“Yeah!” people around me yelled. “Ko-no-ha! Ko-no-ha!”

I joined in the chant and that seemed to boost the team’s spirits. They began to play more seriously. They easily caught up, taking the lead by fifteen points. Iwagakure called for a time-out and the teams made their way off the court.

“Good job out there,” I said high-fiving Naruto. I held my hand up for Sasuke. He stared at it for a while before finally slapping it.

The game started again and it picked up where it left off. But Iwagakure began to play dirty. They purposely bumped and tripped into our players. The idiot ref only saw it as an “accident”.

“What the hell!” I yelled standing. “You dirty cheaters; I’ll kick your !”

“Calm down, Naruko,” Hinata said holding me back.

“How can I?! Those guys are cheaters. Makes me embarrassed to say I grew up there,” I said falling into my seat. “Hey ref, you !” Iwagakure’s side looked smug and confident as they team began to catch up. They cheered loud and proud for their cheaters.

I should have known they would do this. When I went there, there were rumors that they would pull all kinds of stunts to win. I didn’t think much about it back then, but I wished I would have remembered earlier.

“Go Sasuke!” I looked to see Sasuke effortlessly dodging the other players. He passed it to Naruto, who did the same. They did that until Naruto shot a three-pointer.

“Go Naruto!” I yelled excitedly. T

Their teammates caught on and, soon enough, they were avoiding Iwagakure's tricks. This time, it was our team that was cheering and Iwagakure who was complaining. With five seconds on the clock, we were in the lead. Iwagakure became bolder about their cheating as desperation kicked in.

“Five!...Four!...Three!...Two!...One!” And we won! We cheered and screamed and jumped up in joy. The players wore smile on their faces as they hugged each other. Even Sasuke was smiling. I ran off the bleachers, pulling Hinata with me, and ran to give Naruto a death hug.

“You were so awesome out there!” I said letting him go. “Right Hinata?”

“Y-you were great,” she said blushing. “Congratulations.”

“Thanks Hinata!” Naruto said pulling her into a hug. I snickered as she turned beet red. When he let her go, she staged dangerously.

I looked around for familiar black hair and found him surrounded by screaming girls. He saw me watching and looked at me for help. I shrugged and he glared at me. He moved the girls away and made his way toward me.

“You could of helped me, you know?” he said.

“Hey, my life is already on the line,” I said glancing at the fan girls. Just their usual, un-frightening glares. An idea popped into my head and I smiled at Sasuke sweetly.

“Why are you smiling at me like that?” he asked warily. I threw myself at him and pulled him into a death hug. I looked behind him to smirk at his fan girls. I felt him stiffen under my hold. “N-Naruko?”

“Hehe, they look mad,” I said. I stuck my tongue out at the fuming fan girls. I released Sasuke, who still stood stiff. He covered his face and looked away. “What's up with you?”

“Nothing,” he said refusing to look at me. I rubbed my chin and stared at him, thinking. Now this seemed familiar. Why was he blushing?

“Sasuke, you don’t like me, do you?” I asked bluntly. His face turned completely red. “Ah, am I right?”

“Like hell you are!” he yelled. “Who the hell would like a stupid girl like you?!”

“Hey, ! What did I tell you about calling me stupid!” I yelled back.

“I’ll call you whatever the hell I want! Stupid, stupid, stupid!”

“You want to die?” I asked clenching my fist.

“Uh, guys…” Naruto said nervously.

“What?!” we both asked. I dropped my fist when I saw everyone staring at us, even the people from Iwagakure.

“Hey, isn’t that Naruko?!” I heard someone asked. Damn it all, I do not want to deal with these people.

“Hinata, I’m leaving first,” I said.

I walked away, praying no one stopped me. A huge body blocked my way. I craned my neck to stare into the angry eyes of a giant.

“You're not going anywhere,” he said crossing his arms.

“And why is that?” I asked mimicking him, though I looked as intimidating as him.

“Me and you have a score to settle,” he said. I cocked my head, trying to remember what it was I did to him.

“And who are you exactly?” I asked. A vein appeared on his forehead and he clenched a fist.

“You mean you don’t remember me?”

“There are just so many people who have a grudge on me. I can’t possibly remember every single one of them.”

“You still manage to piss me off!” he yelled throwing a fist at me. I easily dodged it and he came at me again. He kept coming after me and I kept dodging them.

“No wonder I can’t remember you. You’re so weak,” I said.

Yeah, I know I shouldn’t insult the person trying to beat me up, but I couldn’t help it. It wasn’t in me to not be so blunt when fighting.

“This is getting boring,” I said after dodging yet another attack. Blocking yet another attack, I brought my feet up and kicked him in the face. The people behind him moved back as he fell. Everyone gasped and looked from me to the now unconscious guy.

“That was so cool Naruko!” Naruto said taking my hands. “Can you teach me how to do that?”

“Uh, sure,” I said trying to free my hands. Hinata was giving me a terrifying look, especially with those weird eyes of hers.

“Yo, Sasuke,” I said pointing at him. He flinched and backed away. “Call me stupid again, and I’ll knock you out cold like that guy.”

“I-I’m not afraid of you,” he said looking away.

“Hehe, he’s scared,” Naruto said laughing. “Looks like Naruko wear the pants in the relationship.”

“I don’t think you should have said that,” I said. He turned to see a furious mob of fan girls behind him. “I think you should run.” He ran and the fan girls chased after him in a stampede. Glad it wasn’t me.