A Message

It Was Just a Joke

Do you know how powerful words really are? I bet you don't, because many people don't. So, yes, I'm grouping you with most people.

If someone said that you were fat, how would you take it? Some of you would shrug it off, simply letting it slide. Others will take it literally, and start dieting, and starving themselves to become skinny.

To the people who would just shrug it off, let me ask you another question. What if those same kids called you fat everyday, slowly growing an army, turning everyone against you, everyone calling you fat.

"Hey, ______ you're fat! Hey guys, girls, isn't he/she fat?"

Then comes the chorus of laughs. An onslaught of insults and stares, and fingers being pointed at you. 

Everyday.

Then they get ahold of your cellphone number, and you receive threat messages from numbers you don't even know.

Would you still laugh and shrug it off?

I haven't even mentioned anything about physical abuse. Everything is just words. 

Can you imagine what it feels like to be trapped in your own skin, being rejected by everyone around you? Can you imagine what it must feel like to be made fun of all the time? What it must feel like to feel... All alone. Alone with no one to run to.

I always ask myself, "What's it really like to have all those names and insults stick to you, and cloud your mind?" My best friend Seungri was a boy that had to go through all of this. He committed suicide, hoping the abuse would end. He just wanted the names to go away.

To all the bullies out there, get a life. What pleasure do you get from putting someone else down? Popularity? Power? How would you feel if that one girl you made fun of everyday was found in her bathroom, pills strewn everywhere, red spilling from her wrist, with a heart that was no longer beating? Or how about the boy who decided to take his mother's favorite scarf, and tie it to his fan, who died exactly one and a half minutes after he kicked the chair away?

Do you still have all the power? Do you still have a sound mind? 

Now, put yourself in my shoes, or Seungri's parents' shoes, or his little brother's shoes. How would you feel if you lost someone you loved to bullying?

Now, my most important message goes to the bystanders: Do something. Don't just stand there like an idiot, not saying anything. Don't go along with it and just laugh either. You're just as guilty as the bully is. Stand up for the victim. You could be the difference between life and death for that one person.

Nobody's life is perfect, I know that. But that doesn't give you an excuse to dump it on other people. I lost my parents at a young age, and I never got to say my brother's name to him once. You don't see me picking on kids at school.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Whoever said that is full of crap. 

Words hurt.