'E'

'Love Day' - HIATUS

 

"So I take it you like the song, don't you Yoseob-ssi?" said Jung Eunji cheerfully.

 

Yoseob glanced at her, but quickly looked away, unable to face her without having his cheeks red. "Ah, n-ne."

 

She did a small clap. "Yay! I'm glad to hear that!"

 

Yoseob couldn't help but to smile along seeing her happy expression. He let out a satisfied sigh as he looked up to the grey sky above them. It seemed like it could rain anysoon and he was kinda worried as he didn't bring his umbrella today. But Yoseob shook the thoughts away.

He should be happy. He was walking home together with Jung Eunji! He just knew that she lived not too far from him. Well actually she was the one who questioned where he lived and found out his house was in the same area with her, so here they were. Side by side, walking back home.

Silence started to fill in. It was awkward for both of them. Even though they'd been sharing the same vocal class for three years and some other classes, they didn't talk much. She was always surrounded by six other girls who shared the same awesome talent in singing with her. While Yoseob was the ordinary boy who (he tried) sat around her and spent most of the time staring at her from afar. But now, when suddenly some marvelous luck touched him that all of his chances to get close to her came in a rush, he wouldn't waste.

 

"Eu- eunji," he stuttered again, "I was thinking, I- I may have some i- ideas for th-the song project."

 

The girl looked at her enthusiastically. "Of course! What is it, Yoseob-ssi?"

 

"I can ar- arrange the song. I can't let y- you do all the work by yourself... r-right?"

 

"Great! That's a good idea. Wow, I've never known you arrange songs."

 

Yoseob rubbed his head. "Well... I have never... But I- I can try."

 

He lied. It had been his hobby for a while; arranging songs. He was introduced to the computer program for arranging songs last year. Yong Junhyung, his buddy since middle high, taught him to. The guy was so into songs composing, but had no one to share with, so he kinda dragged Yoseob into it. He was glad though. At least there was one thing he was pretty good at.

 

"Goodie! Soon as I get home, I'll record my piano playing into a CD then I'll let you have it tomorrow!" she said as she started to skip along.

Yoseob nodded. His mind quickly worked on the arrangement ideas. He hummed the song in his head while debating whether classic guitar would suit or not. It was surprising he still remember the tune so clearly. Guess because it was Jung Eunji's song and it had such a nice melody. Or was it because the passionate feeling that she poured wholly into the song?

Yoseob couldn't ignore the fact that he felt as if he was connected to the song. Maybe it's because the melody sounded as if it was telling a story about falling in love, and I happen to feel the same thing, said Yoseob in his heart. He stayed silent, while a huge project was being worked on his head.

He put so much concetration on his mind that he didn't realize... She wasn't by his side anymore. His mind work was suddenly paused.

He looked back and there she was. Not skipping happily anymore. Her face showed doubts, but Yoseob couldn't tell what caused it.

 

"Eunji...," he called, "You're o- okay?"

 

The girl looked up to face him. Unintentionally, he put the back of his hand to his mouth. Having her to stare at him with such gleaming eyes, was too much for him.

 

"Yoseob," she said smoothly, "Regarding the song, may I ask a favour from you?" Once again, he nodded.

 

"The song is actually a rather... Valuable thing to me. It's never been easy for me to compose songs. My piano teacher always gives me C for the subject, but one day, I was thinking of this boy and..." Yoseob held his breath while she continued, "He had been in my mind for a while. From admiration to fondness, I think... I secretly develop a special feelings towards him. I think it's called 'like'. And it is so impassioned that it once came to my mind to confess my feelings to him, but I wasn't sure. I was afraid he'd reject me because I know his personality. Though he may feel the same as me, he might say the opposite thing or perhaps say nothing at all-"

 

"He sounds extremely shy," blurted Yoseob, "So- sorry I didn't mean to- um. Please continue."

 

She chuckled. "Yes he is! But maybe that's what makes me got drawn to him in the first place? He only say little words, but his acts show a lot of things, like how hardworking he is, how kind his heart is and how cute he can be."

 

Oh dear, I'm done. She likes a junior.

 

"The more I watch him, the more I can't hold the feeling, so out of the blue, I sat on my piano, put my hands on the keys and the melodies just came rushing to me. Like a tidal wave. I kept playing and playing while writing down the notes. It was so overwhelming, as if I was possesed, but of course, no no no, I wasn't. I'm sure of it."

"So... When you arrange this song, Yoseob-ssi, can you unload the feelings inside of the melody? I don't know... Maybe I wanna try again, show him how I feel. I'm sorry if I ask too much. I just think that... This may finally be a good chance to tell him. I mean, we'd get to sing the song in front of the whole school, right?"

 

"Y- yes," he stuttered.

 

When his stutters were always because he was damn nervous at the presence of this girl, his stutter now was more caused by another thing. His throat felt a little sore as she asked him to respond to her love life. Sadly, a love which had been owned by some boy who seemed like he was younger than her.

Eunji ran a little to catch up with his pace. Both of them were back walking side by side now. She hummed to her composition. Smile on her face, signalling she'd back to her usual self; the ever smiling Jung Eunji.

 

But on the other hand, Yang Yoseob didn't exactly have that bubbly happiness like a few minutes ago.

Instead, he felt... Lost. He mentally cursed his naivety. He should have known it had always been a competition to win her heart. A girl like Eunji, she wouldn't date ordinary guys. Yet, his curiousity still lingered.

 

A junior, really? 

 

 

"Eu- eunji," he started, "He... You know, that guy..."

 

"The one I told you about just now?"

 

"Yeah. He- he is very young, isn't he? How long is his age apart from yo- yours?"

 

"Eh?" Confusion suddenly filled her face. "What do you mean, Yoseob- He is not that young, you know. I didn't mention "young", did I? His age-"

 

"Jung Eunji!"

 

Both Yoseob and Eunji turned to the source of the voice.

A man, who seemed like in his mid forty, was standing at the front porch of a minimalist apartment lobby. He waved his hand happily and, to Yoseob's surprise, was returned by Eunji with a wide smile.

 

"Come on, that's my Appa. He just got back from an oversea business trip!"

 

"He?"

 

"Come, Yoseob. Let's meet him!"

 

Without realizing, Yoseob willingly let himself to be dragged by her towards the man.

It was something about her touch on his arm that immediately melted down his muscle... Either her touch or her father's stern gaze which was fixed directly...At him.

 

"Appa!" Yoseob watched silently as Eunji hugged her father and did little jumps happily. "When did you come back?"

 

The old man rubbed his daughter's head affectionately. "My daughter sounded so sad on the last phone call, so I decided to go home because I don't want you to feel alone, but... It seems that you're not..."

 

He said the last sentence while staring at Yoseob, making poor Yang Yoseob shivered uneasily in his place. He looked down, pretending as if his shoes was the most interesting thing in the world right now.

 

"I'm not alone anymore now that you're home for good! Appa, today, the vocal teacher decided to add another one. It's a composing task in pair and we'd get to perform it in front of the whole school! Yang Yoseob here is my partner! He arranges songs and he has agreed to arrange mine. Isn't that great?"

 

"Well, that sounds fun. You've always had interest in composing," he shifted his eyes to Yoseob, "So, are you two going to work on the project now?"

 

"N- no," Yoseob replied, "I sh- should go home now. I- I didn't tell my mom I'd go home late, she must b-be looking for me."

 

"Oh," said Eunji.

 

Yoseob swore he heard disappointment in her tone, but he shook it off. 

 

 

"I'll b- be going now. Good eve- evening, Mr.Jung! S- see you tomorrow, Eu- eunji!" he said. Awkwardly, he gave them 90 degrees bow and left the luxurious apartment block.

 

 


 

 

Another day, another bell, another lunch, Yoseob thought as he rested chin on his hand.

Although he didn't eat much breakfast this morning (due to late waking up after a not-so-well sleep trying to get Eunji's face out of his mind), he didn't feel like getting lunch either. He was bored... and sleepy.

Seemed like he had too much fun spending the after school hours with the girl of his dream yesterday, making today felt empty as he had not even caught a glimpse of her since before the first bell. 

Suddenly a hand slapped his back lightly. He knew who it was.

 

"Yo, Seob-ah, no lunch for you today? Dujun hyung and Hyunseung hyung will try to jump over the fence and get chicken from the nearby Kyochon shop, wanna come?"

 

That was Yong Junhyung, alright. And he was talking about the two older guys from the next class.

Junhyung worshipped those two people, claiming they were both musically talented. He had this crazy idea that Yoseob and him should hang out with the two hyungs, so they could expand their ability. Yoseob did hear Yun Dujun was a great ballad singer and Jang Hyunseung was the ace of a famous school dance in town, but when you looked at them during school, you wouldn't believe those rumours.

Dujun made pranks at other students and teachers a lot while Hyunseung barely talked and dressed in rather unique style. They were both friends anyway and the Dujun guy loved to drag Hyunseung along to break rules. Junhyung, well, he always had that i-am-a-rebel-waiting-to-be-waken-up thing inside him, so Yoseob didn't think hanging out with those two was a good idea.

 

"Nah, I'll pass," said Yoseob, "I'm just gonna stay in class and see what I can do with the music software."

 

Junhyung raised one eyebrow. "What's up with the sudden interest in the arranging song program? You rarely use it if I don't ask you for some arranging ideas. You rather sing what I've come up with."

 

"There is this project from vocal class..."

 

"You mean, your small secret plan to get that girl who usually represents our school in singing competition?"

 

Yoseob's eyes buldged. "What- how-"

 

"Well, man, I hear people talking, " Junhyung said raising his both hands as if he was in defeat, "Jung Eunji is like the most wanted chick in school right now, no one misses her wherabouts. Heard you spent some quality time with her yesterday after school."

 

"Yeah, well..." "Go for it, man! You has a crush on her since like forever!"

 

"It's not as easy as it sounds. I can barely speak."

 

"Um, now I'm having a conversation with you, so yeah you speak fine."

 

Yoseob sighed. "I stutter... real bad. In front of her. Everytime."

 

"What the- HAHAHA!" Junhyung clutched his stomach while laughing so hard, causing the rest of student in the class looked at him.

 

"Yong Jaesoon, so much for a loyal friend."

 

"Yah! Don't ever speak out that name. I've moved on. I have a cool name now-"

 

"Hello!"

 

Both of them turned to the person who just arrived.

Wide angelic smile and melodious voice with a sense of happiness that immediately spoiled his heart beat rhytmic. Jung Eunji.

 

"He- hello, Eunji-ssi," replied Yoseob while his best friend tried to supress his laughter.

 

"Hi, Junhyung-ssi," said Eunji which was replied by Junhyung with a brief nod.

 

"Yoseob-ssi...."

 

"N- ne?"

 

"Here's the CD. I tried to play as fine as I can, but I didn't improvise enough. I hope that way you can put more sound to the song."

 

"Of co-course. Thanks."

 

"OK then! Just let me know when you're done then we can meet up again to record our voice!"

 

"Sure..."

 

"Thank you, Yoseob-ssi! See you around! You too, Junhyung-ssi."

 

Yoseob forced a hand wave while Junhyung raised his hand a little in a cool style. He looked at his best friend who now looked so foolish with his sparkling eyes and pink cheeks. An idea passed his head.

 

"Eunji-ssi," he called, "You know, Yang Yoseob talk perfectly fine. He only stutters when he's nervous."

 

The girl smiled and she directed it at Yoseob. Then she left the room, joining her group of seven girls who was waiting for her.

 

Yoseob leaned back on his chair. Panting, as if he just ran a marathon.

 

"Dude, she has only been here for two minutes and you're like this? Man, you , not in singing, but in relationship!"

 

Yoseob sighed. "See? Don't even mention my so-called secret plan to get her attention. I can barely survive, just at her presence around me."

"By the way, what did you say to her just now?"

 


A huge hug to /for still reading this story of mine, despite the fact that I'm a lousy and lazy writer. Also, welcome to YS4everkhale and HusnaHmzh! Thanks for subscribing! Means a lot, truly!

I get less comments *sobs* but it's OK, I will continue writing this story no matter what. In fact, I plan to wrap this one by the end of August since I'm moving to another country in September!

In the mean time, I've written a blog post about preparations before attending Korean music shows! I went to Seoul last June and managed to get into Music Core (it was a dream come true!). Though, it wasn't much 'cause I didn't spend entire time on K-pop stuffs, I feel like sharing the fun memories with you guys. Click here!