Numb

Strong against pain

 

You wore a large hoodie and jeans with converse and a beanie over your long wavy hair. As you stepped out of the house, the cool autumn wind blew past and you shivered, pulling your beanie closer your cheeks. You walked across the streets to the childcare centre in your neighborhood and went inside.

"Jungie-ah?"

"Noona!"

DongJung ran up to you, carrying his small haversack and holding onto a drawing he made.

"Noona! I drew this. Is it nice?"

"Wah, my dongsaeng is so talented!" You smiled at him and pinched his cheeks.

The drawing was of you and DongJung. On top, it said "My family". You sighed when you realised that there were only two of you in his family, without your Omma and Appa. You grabbed his small hands and brought him out.

"Jungie-ah, want to eat ice cream?"

"I Want! But noona, isn't it a bit cold today?"

You laughed as he held onto you tighter.

"Okay, why not we go to the shop which sells your favourite hot chocolate?"

"Yay!! Noona, hurry let's go!" and he dragged you forward with his little feet.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you washed the dishes, you heard the gate open and sounds of empty can being kicked around. You quickly told DongJung to go upstairs and go to bed. Checking the time, you realised it was 9pm, he was early. The door slammed open and the familiar silhouette stood at the door.

"Appa.."

He stumbled past you to the kitchen. You heard him open the refrigerator and open another can of beer.

"YAH Lee Song Eun! Did you see the fridge? It's almost empty, you know what to do."

"Neh.." you mumbled. You were about to walk up the stairs to your bedroom when he pulled your hair and dragged you down. You squirmed under his gripped as he pushed you repeatedly to the wall.

"You… brat.." He stuttered.

"AHH Appa, stop!"

He grabbed you by the arm and pushed you against the couch. You wrapped your arms around your head, embracing for a fall when your legs hit against the wooden frame of the sofa.

"Ahh.. Appa.. Stop it.." You pleaded.

Your Appa stood there, staring at you and then he walked away.

You pushed yourself up, realizing there was a large bruise on your thigh and scratches on your arms. You went up to your room and locked the doors. DongJung was already asleep on his bed. You took out the first aid kit and applied antiseptic onto your wounds. Such injuries were common and you were already numb to the pain.