Great

The Guardian Angel

 

I sat in the car, worried about what I had said to Youngbae. I knew I shouldn’t have been so rude and cruel, but I just couldn’t just give up. I had to let him know that I was mad at him, that he had to come to his senses before he could speak to me again.

            “Amelia, I want to talk about what happened back there…” TOP said. I looked at him, confused. “About what you said to Youngbae.”

            “Why? I didn’t do anything but tell him to go back to his fiancée.” I said.

            “Melon, Youngbae was going to talk to his parents when we got home with you. He wanted to stop the wedding...” TOPsaid. I froze. He wanted to stop the wedding..? “He remembered what you told him, and realized it was true. He doesn’t want to marry someone who doesn’t care for him.”

            “It’s the truth Amelia, dear. I was there when he said it.” My father began to say. “He was worried for you too. Please, understand that.”

            “I didn’t know…Wait, does that mean we’re going to his house?” I asked. My father and Seung nodded. “WAIT,WHAT?”

            “I’m sorry Amelia, but you have to talk to them too. Youngbae’s parents are old-fashioned. You and your father could easily win their approval to get rid of the wedding.”

            “Alright…But what about Hyuna?” I asked, wondering how she would react of all people.

            “Well, Youngbae was thinking of leaving the house to her. That way, she won’t complain as much. As for him…He’ll be moving in with you, your father, and your new friend Daniel.” TOP said.

            “WAIT, WHAT?” I screamed, hurting my father’s ears.

            “Aish, calm down Amelia. Your father knows best.” My father said. I glared at him. “Hey don’t give me that glare! You’re the one who started this whole mess, so you will finish it, and you will finish it properly.”

            “Father, but…”

            “No buts Amelia! Now, let Seung pay attention to the road. His driving is making me ansy.”

            “HEY.”

 

            The car ride was awkward. Out of all people stuck with me, I had to drive Amelia’s new ‘friend’. Not to mention Hyun was in the car too…He was already enough to handle.

            “So, Daniel, what’s up with you and Amelia? You guys seem to be pretty close.” Hyun asked him. I pretended not to care, but listened like a fox.

            “Well, we aren’t super close, but I’d like for us to become close. She seems like a wonderful girl, who knows what she wants. She’s been through so much, and she’s very strong. From what I’ve learned from her, she won’t let anything bring her down. Her smile proves it.” Daniel said. Hyun blinked.

            “That was deep, bro…But it’s all true. That’s my Melon for you!” SeungRi smiled happily. Daniel nodded, smiling.

            “So, how did you guys meet her?” Daniel asked. Oh God. Please tell me SeungRi is not going to tell him—

            “She’s our guardian angel!” He said. I face-palmed and coughed.

            “What he means is that she’s been taking care of us since we were younger, RIGHTSeungRi?” I said, looking at him with a ‘you-better-just-do-as-I-say-or-you’ll-be-sleeping-with-your-eyes-open’ look. SeungRifinally got the point.

            “Ooh. Yeah she’s just been with us since we were small. Well not super small, just elementary school age.”hesaid.

            “That sounds nice. I’m glad a girl like her met guys like you. It seems that you guys care deeply for her.” Daniel said. Trying to be a good guy, huh?

            “Yeah, thanks. WE’RE all she needs, along with her father, of course.” I said. I didn’t care if I was being harsh. He was a threat to me. A threat that could easily take away Amelia from me…

            “Youngbae, look!” SeungRisaid, pointing at the car parked in front of my house. It was my parents. They were here…

 

            I sat there completely bewildered. I didn’t know how to respond to what had just happened. Youngbae’s parents had complied with letting him marry who he wanted, under a condition which shocked me.

            He had to find someone in a month; otherwise he wouldn’t marry anyone at all.

            “I’m sorry Youngbae. You are a shy young man, and ever since we’ve noticed your shyness, your mother and I have been worried that you would never find someone. We are terribly sorry, but this is also your grandfather’s wish.” His father said.

            “I see…It’s fine father. I’ll find someone before my deadline.” Youngbae said, obviously worried. Dae and Jiyong then spoke.

            “I think we will be heading to the car.” They said, leaving. Youngbae’s mom then noticed me.

            “Oh, and honey? Who is this woman that is with you?” his mother asked, motioning towards me. I bowed.

            “Hello, Ma’am. I’m Amelia.” She suddenly smiled when she heard my name.

            “Amelia? The one who you’ve been talking about since you were a young boy, Youngbae?” she said. He nodded, turning a light shade of pink.

            “Um, let me explain…Well, you see Amelia. Back in the old days, I used to talk to my mother a lot about you…She’s been wanting to meet you since then..”

            “And he’s always saying that you had moved to the States, but still kept in touch with him. I’m so glad you came back! I’ve always wanted to meet the infamous Amelia.” She said, coming towards me, hugging me. I stood there dumbfounded, but I smiled nevertheless.

            “It’s nice to meet you too.” I smiled.

            “So this is the actual Amelia…Why don’t you marry her, Youngbae? You’ve known her for so long.” His father explained. I blushed deeply.

            “I-I don’t think I can…I mean, I know him very well, but I just came from the States and marrying someone is a little too soon, especially after not seeing him for years!” I said. His mother sighed, nodding. The door suddenly opened. It was my father.

            “I’d like to interject to that and make a proposal.” My father said, sitting down on the couch. Youngbae’s parent’s looked at him warily.

            “Oh, um, this is my father.” I said before they called the police on him. I sat next to him and whispered in his ear. “YOU COULD’VE KNOCKED, YOU KNOW.”

            “Just listen, okay?” he whispered back.

            “What is your proposal, Mr.Sook?” Youngbae’s father asked.

            “Both Amelia and your son have known each other for many years, as we can see. Both of them are very good friends, and know each other top to bottom. I would like to make a proposal to allow Youngbae marry my daughter, on one condition. He must make her fall in love with him before your condition is to end.” 

            “Wait, what?” Both Youngbae and I said.

            “It’s not an arranged marriage; It is clear that Youngbae has feelings for Amelia.”

            Youngbae blushed deeply. I looked at him, and he looked away.

            “Youngbae..is this true?” his mother asked. He began to blush even more, nodding. I sat there, shocked.

            This was going to be the start of an awkward friendship.