Metamorphosis

Player Player

Jumi POV:

 

*knock knock*

 

My eyelids fluttered open and pain flooded me as I tried to remember what happened.

"Jumi-ah?" I heard my mom call me from the other side of the door. "Jumi-ah, are you aw-"

I cleared my throat softly and replied, "neh Umma!" I pulled the door open slightly and hid my hurt hand behind my back.

"What is it?" I asked.

"You don't have to go to school today. I'll put in the school transfer document before I head to work and you'll start school in Korea with everyone else in March."

"March?" I said? 

"Mm. School starts in March over there, honey," she said, "aigoo, you look really tired Jumi-ah. You need to look after your health." She reached through the crack in the door and touched my cheek. "Go to sleep and wake up later to pack...and here." My mom handed me her card. "Go get yourself some new clothes and stuff for the trip. Don't feel bad about getting anything." She smiled at me and I felt my heart hurt for her as well.

"Umma,...I-," I didn't know what to say so, I just settled with, "thank you. I'll miss you."

"Umma will miss you too baby." She weakly smiled at me, but I could tell it was genuine. "Don't stay out too late. You have to pack. I'll take you to the airport tomorrow." Then she left.

I closed the door and slid to the floor. In one hand I had glass shards. In the other I held my mom's debit card. My eyes teared up again and it was then I made up my mind. 'This is the beginning,' I thought.

 

**

After I pulled all the glass out from my hand I went through the pain of disinfecting it. After a few stinging moments I managed to bandage it up. Good thing it was my right hand (I'm left-haned). Then, I tided up my room, pulled on jeans and a sweatshirt, and was out the door.

 

**

I stepped out of the hair salon and into the busy mall. It was Friday night and the mall bustled with mobs of people trying to get shopping done. I sighed and ruffled my newly done hair and pulled my phone out of my shorts as a grappled with the many shopping bags I held.

I went on a shopping spree to change my whole wardrobe. It was time for a change. (Now my outfit was an oversized red jersey that you could see the inside of, a navy cropped tube top, shorts and some shoes). " 7:30..." I mumbled. 'I guess I'll eat now...' 

I headed downstairs to the food court and got in line for Chickfila. I ordered and sat down with my food. I was recieving looks from everyone I had passed on the way to my seat, but I didn't care. 'This is me. Deal with it'.

It was only when I went to throw away my trash I felt the shock of my appearence sink in.

Someone had walked into me while I was throwing my stuff away and as a reaction I turned...and saw Josh, with Joanne. They were in the middle of a playfight and Joanne had run into me. She immedietly said, "Oh, sorry!" She turned and playfully scolded Josh, "See what you did, you made me run into somebody!"  She turned back to me, "I'm so sorry, my boyfriend is too! We didn't mean to!" 

I stared at her and I felt Josh staring at me. Then I looked at him, ignoring Joanne completely. Josh looked confused, processing who I was.

I just started to walk away. A second later I recieved a text message. 

 

Josh: Where are you right now?

 

I turned around and held up my cell phone at him. I knew they were both looking at me now. I let a bitter smile appear on my face and texted back.

 

Jessica: Here.

 

I stayed to see the shock on their faces then left to do more shopping before heading home.