Chapter Three

Rekindle

Family

 

"I thought you two agreed on not crossing paths ever, ever again?" Bom's voice which was on speaker echoed through the walls of Chaerin's lounge.
"I know. I don't want to see him." Chaerin whispered as she arranged the flowers on the centre table. Jiyong and her agreed on meeting at her house and so she was making an effort to make her house look extra presentable for him - no - for her daughter.
Bom asked, "Then why did you say yes?"

"Our daughter. She wants to see me. She still remembers me." Chaerin anxiously stated.
"Oh my god. Really? Wow…" Bom trailed off.
"My Chaeyoung...I feel so guilty. Am I a bad mother, unnie? Tell me. Am I a bad mother?!" She combed her fingers through her hair.
"Oh here we go again. Are you still guilty? I thought you already forgot about it after the three years I was gone! Do I have to remind you once more? It was hard for you and Jiyong to decide who's getting who. You tried hard to make everything fair and square. You’re not a bad mother, for goodness sakes.” Bom said in a condescending manner.

Chaerin momentarily paused and sighed, "I should have taken her too. Or I should have at least kept contact."
"It’s time you throw all your stupid regrets out of the window, lovely.  You're going to see her now. As soon as you see her, greet her with the warmest smile and show her how much you really love her."

Chaerin bit her lower lip imagining how her daughter would do when she sees her. ‘She must have felt I left her alone. She must feel some hatred towards me.’

"I know you’re worried but I’m telling you, it’s not too late to patch things up with your daughter. Explain to her everything.” Bom advised. “And yeah, try not to kill Jiyong” she added.

“He doesn't concern me that much anymore. I won't kill him" she said as she dusted the centre table for what seemed to be the fourth time that morning already.

---

"Appa, let's go. I wanna see omma now!!!" Chaeyoung pouted as she tugged on his dad's jacket.
"Wait. Chaeyoung-ah. Look here. Do you think I should wax my hair up or should I let it down?" Jiyong asked whilst fixing his hair in front of his bedroom mirror.
"You're handsome in either! Omma will find you handsome. Don’t worry"
He stopped shifted his weight to one side, "I'm not doing this for her, alright? I'm doing this for your brother. I don't want him to think he has an ugly appa. I don't want to disappoint him."

Chaeyoung scratched her head at his reasoning.

Jiyong returned to the mirror and asked, "Does it seem like I'm trying hard to look young if I put my hair up?"
"Appa! Just leave your hair. I wanna see omma now!!!"

Jiyong sighed and plopped down the bed, "Chae, how about we don't go? I think I'm coming down with a cold. You passed down yours to me. Look how watery my eyes are."
"Appa!!!" Chaeyoung pouted.

"Fine. Let's go. But I'm seriously not feeling good. So don't be surprised if we go back early." He straightened and dusted his daughter's shirt.

---

First level….

Second level…

Third level…

Fourth level…

Fifth level…

The elevator doors opened - much to Jiyong’s disappointment. Somehow he felt it was better if they were just stuck in the lift. He contemplated on the reason why he came to visit his ex-wife. Ah right, his daughter. He looked down his daughter whose hands were on his. He must be a really bad father spoiling his daughter like this. He could not stand seeing her cry and seeing her disappointed so he couldn’t reject her pleas.

“Appa! Smile” his daughter cut him from his reverie. He did not realize that he was already lead by her to apartment number 505….’APARTMENT 505?! We’re here already?!’

Chaeyoung was about to press the door bell when she was immediately stopped by her father.
“Wait. Chaeyoung. Let’s just think things through first. Are you nervous?”

Chaeyoung slowly nodded.
“Good. It’s not too late to back out. Let’s go.” Jiyong pulled her.

Chaeyoung didn’t budge, “I’m nervous but I don’t want to go. I wanna see how omma looks like” she immediately pressed the door bell before the man before her could stop her.

“Chaeyoung-ah, why did you suddenly press-“

He was cut when his daughter suddenly hid behind him.

 “Oh so now you’re scared.” He muttered. His heart rate rose up as he heard the clicking of the door handle.

“Hi...uhm...come in." greeted a meek voice.

‘Lee Chaerin. This is Lee Chaerin in front of me right now, right?’ He could not believe how much she changed. Her hair was now a darker shade of blonde which suited her skin tone perfectly. Her body seemed much more toned. Seungri was right, she was prettier.

They entered with Chaeyoung still hiding behind him, “Chaeyoung, it’s okay. It’s okay.”

Chaerin’s heart sank. ‘Is my daughter terrified of me?’

“Real appa?! REAL APPA!!! You came!” a hyper four year old came out of a bedroom and went running straight to Jiyong and hugged his legs.

“What? R-real appa?” Jiyong muttered. He knelt down levelling his face with the child. “Are you my Jiwoon?”
Jiwoon smiled widely and nodded. He then hugged his father’s neck. “I look like real appa.”

Jiyong  - who was unsure himself of the reason why -  suddenly let out a hearty laugh and hugged his son back tightly. “Yeah, we look so much alike. Appa missed you so much”

Chaerin looked at the two in shock. It was so surprising how Jiwoon loved him already. She suddenly felt a soft tug on her blouse. It was Chaeyoung.

“C-can I hug you too?” the child meekly asked.

Chaerin’s eyes clouded with tears upon hearing her question. She felt guiltier – she felt as if her daughter regards her more like a stranger than her mother - but at the same time relieved that she was not hateful towards her. She spread her arms wide and her daughter quickly threw herself in her embrace.  “You can always hug me. I’m your mom. You don’t have to ask!” She whispered as she tightened her hug.

---

Jiwoon pulled Jiyong to his bedroom reasoning that he wanted to show him his toys. Chaeyoung decided to stay with Chaerin and help her out with cooking. Jiyong and Chaerin preferred they separated too. After all, they couldn’t help but feel awkward being together in the same room. They really did not know what to say to each other.

“I’ll do it. I’ll do it” Chaeyoung enthusiastically volunteered to pour the marinade over the chicken Chaerin was preparing.
Chaerin smiled and asked, “Do you love cooking too?”
Chaeyoung nodded, “I want to learn. But appa doesn’t know how to cook so no one can teach me. I’m so sick of take-outs.”
Chaerin was shocked. She asked, “No one’s preparing proper meals for you? How about your appa’s girlfriend? Can she not cook?”
The young girl gave her a confused look, “Girlfriend? Appa doesn’t have a girlfriend.”

“Anymore?” Chaerin asked.
Chaeyoung shook her head, “He never had a girlfriend after you.”
“Really? I find that hard to believe. He surely had one” Chaerin stated trying to sound as cool as possible as she placed the chicken in the oven.  
Chaeyoung shook her head, “He really didn’t! Probably he doesn’t want to replace you”
“I doubt that.” Chaerin tried to laugh it off and ruffled her daughter’s hair. “Anyway, besides cooking, what are your other interests? Omma wants to know more about you” she immediately changed the topic.
Chaeyoung looked up to think, “Uhmm…I play the piano.”
“Really? Can you play a lot of songs?”
“Not yet. But I hope you can watch one of my recitals. I want to play in front of you.”
“I will never miss your recitals for anything. Just tell me when.” She smiled. She grabbed the knife and started chopping the carrots.
“Omma.”
“Hmm?”

“Appa really took time to fix himself before we went here. So is he handsome?”

Chaerin was taken aback by the rather forward question. Why would he take time to fix himself? “Uhm. Well-“

“Omma! Watch out!” Chaeyoung suddenly screamed.
“Huh?” she looked down and she saw that the knife already cut through her index finger.
“Blood! Blood!” Chaeyoung continued to scream.

Without even noticing, Jiyong was already in the kitchen and he pulled her to the tap placing her index finger in the running water. He then applied pressure to the wound with his fingers.

Chaerin noticed their distance – if there was even some. His face was so close to hers. She took the time to notice his features. He had not changed at all. It was unfair. She then realized that he was also looking at her. She immediately looked away.

“You’re so clumsy.” Jiyong coldly muttered.
“You didn’t have to rush over. It was just a cut” Chaerin defended.

“Just - next time, be careful” he sternly said.
“You sound like I did something grave. I just cut myself. Geez” she rolled her eyes.
“I was worried…”
‘For me?’ Chaerin thought.

“…Chaeyoung is scared of blood.” He continued with a colder tone.
“Ah, I’m sorry. I didn’t know she was scared of blood. There are a lot of things I still need to know” Chaerin once again felt heavy. She hated the feeling of being a stranger to her daughter.
Jiyong detected the guilt in her voice and suddenly felt sympathy, “No, it’s okay. It’s understandable. There are also a lot of things I need to catch up with on Jiwoon. I’m sorry for my harsh tone.”
 
“Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” Jiwoon suddenly started chanting.
“Jiwoon! W-what are you saying?” Chaerin stuttered. She then realized that Jiyong was still holding her injured hand and they were still barely inches away from each other. She quickly pulled away.
“When I do something wrong to omma I kiss her so she won’t be mad anymore” Jiwoon explained Jiyong.
Chaeyoung smiled and chanted, “Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” and her younger brother joined in.
Chaerin huffed, “This is ridic-“
She suddenly felt a quick peck on her cheek.
She widened her eyes at Jiyong who said, “Uhm…Just so they would shut up.”

“Not cheeks! I kiss omma on the lips-” Jiwoon added and Chaeyoung immediately placed her hand over his mouth.
“Jiwoon-ah…why don’t we play with your robots, okay?” the older of the kids pulled the younger out of the kitchen so her parents won’t feel awkward – but unfortunately, it left the two in a more awkward state.

“So…uhm…how have you been?” Jiyong started.
“Great. I’m still the same boring, old me. I’m still working for Elle Korea. How about you?”
“I’m okay. I’m still the same boring, old me, I’m still working for YG.”
Chaerin nodded as she reached for the first aid kit in the cupboard and took out a plaster for her cut.
“I’ll help you” Jiyong grabbed the plaster.
“Y-you don’t have to”
“Chaerin, can we not be awkward with each other?”
Jiyong noticed a diamond ring on her ring finger. He let out a small laugh and jokingly asked, “This doesn’t happen to be an engagement ring, does it?”
“N-no. You’re right. This is an engagement ring. I’m getting married in four months”

Jiyong’s heart suddenly tightened at her revelation.

---

Cue background music: Yo my heartbreakerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr