Can You Smile

Regrets And Mistakes (One-shot)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You want this, you hope for this

 

“Have you heard?”

“Yeah, everyone knows. It spread like a wildfire.”

“I didn’t see that coming. Myungsoo? The one and only Kim Myungsoo kissed our queen, Woori on the rooftop?”

“I know right. I thought he was still devastated about the breakup. Well, I guessed he needed a little fun too.”

With that, the two ignorant girls giggled and left the classroom while Naeun lowered her head down and gripped the hem of her checkered skirt.

“Naeun?”

She looked up and met Sungyeol’s worried eyes. “Hey.” She said, faking a smile to which Sungyeol could see through. He sat in front of her and rested his chin on his hands.

“What?” Naeun asked as she saw the intense gaze he gave her. “Yeollieee~” Naeun waved her hand and stiffed a laugh before throwing her view to the window.

“Are you upset, Naeun?” He suddenly questioned.

“Why should I?” She asked back without looking at him.

“Myungsoo and Woori. Aren’t you upset?”

Silence enveloped them and Sungyeol waited patiently for her answer. Naeun was still staring at the vast blue sky, her forehead wrinkled, as if she too was confused about her real feeling.

“Naeun.” Sungyeol said grimly, obviously was waiting for her confession. Naeun casually reached for her bag and stood up, the sound of the chair moving echoed in the room.

“Where are you going now, Naeun? You haven’t answered my question yet.” Unsatisfied, he trailed her from behind and blocked her from walking out of the door.

“Don’t ask, and I don’t need to lie.” She murmured, pushing his hand off the door and left him, puzzled and rattled.

 

----

 

Myungsoo lied on his bed, reminiscing his day at school. He saw her so many times. They said it’s the best to avoid your ex but he chose otherwise. In fact, he needed to see her face every day. He wanted to make sure she was smiling.

But she didn’t. Not even once.

“Naeun, why won’t you smile?”

 

----

 

“Oh my god!”

Someone gasped but Naeun was too busy to be bothered by their murmurs. She kept her composure and finished her English assignment. It was until someone passed by her seat in the library that she noticed what just happened that got everyone talking.

She recognized that cologne, that sweet scent which always haunted her nights. Of course she remembered. She used to sniff that smell while being wrapped around his muscular arms. Closing her eyes, she calmed herself down. Maybe I was dreaming, she thought.

“Naeun!” A girl chirped before sitting in front of her. She peeked to her front and froze. It took her a few seconds to form another fake smile.

“Woori sunbaenim.” Naeun tried to sound as happy as she could. “What are you doing here?”

“The same reason as why you’re here, Naeun-ah.” Woori laughed and her eyes formed crescents. “Except, I got a company.”

“I see.” Naeun mumbled and rotated her pen nervously. It had been a habit, doing that every time she felt pressured or uncomfortable but Woori was just too oblivious to notice that.

“I heard you quitted ballet, Naeun. Why? I was shocked to find you’re gone in the dance studio from your classmate.”

She stayed still, Woori’s question echoing in her head. Why did she quit ballet? It was after the horrible break up. She always wanted to quit in the first place as she thought it was too much to handle.

But someone, a guy whom she’d ever love, encouraged her and made her believe, everything is possible. Except that he lied. It was impossible to keep chasing her dream. With her level of talent, she would never become a professional dancer.

“Earth to Naeun.” Woori tapped her hand and laughed. “Are you okay, Naeun-ah?”

Naeun nodded her head weakly, “I’m fine.”

“So, why did you quit, Naeun?”

‘This persistent girl!’, she thought. Biting her lips, Naeun gulped down her fear and answered, “It doesn’t feel right anymore. Ballet.”

“What do you mean?”

Naeun chuckled nervously, trying to hide her feelings, “No, it’s nothing. Forget it.”

Hurriedly, she packed her stuffs and shoved them in her back, bowing to Woori before leaving. As she took a few steps away, a deep voice startled her.

“You dropped your pen.”

She froze in her spot. That voice. She can’t even move her finger because of that voice. Tears started forming in her eyes but she held the sadness in. ‘No, please. Not now, heart.’

“You dropped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter