One Step Forward...Two Steps Back

Nineteen Minutes

Ji Yong and TOP slowly approached their car and nodded, each opening their respective boxes. Ji Yong untied the gaudy ribbon and popped off the lid, pulling out a white card. This time, it was engraved with the roman numeral six. He turned the card over and his eyes widened.

You can do so much better, Ares.

His fingers traced the embossed letters and hovered over the kiss mark that decorated the bottom right corner of the card. Curious, he swept his fingers lightly over the mark and narrowed his eyes at the red substance that stained his fingertips. Glancing up, he locked eyes with TOP, who handed him his card. Ji Yong clenched his teeth in anger at the words that seemed to mock him.

Wanna play a game?

"Hey, guys!" Ji Yong and TOP looked over and glanced at Taecyeon, who gestured for them to come over.

"What'd you get?" TOP asked slowly.

Taecyeon didn't have to answer as Ji Yong plucked the card out of his hand and read it out loud. "Lights out." He laughed bitterly. "What the hell is this?"

"Wait." TOP interrupted suddenly. "Where's Tiffany?"

"She went to answer a phone call." Taecyeon replied, noting the way Ji Yong had scanned the perimeter for her. "She's around the corner. She's fine."

Ji Yong was about to tell him that he wasn't worried when an eerie voice echoed in the parking lot. He thought he heard someone say, "Lights out" before the parking lot plunged into complete darkness. He felt elbows brushing against his arms and he relaxed slightly, knowing that TOP and Taecyeon were okay. He was just about to slip his hand into his pocket for his phone when he heard something that made his blood freeze.

A high pitched scream.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Ah, Taeyeon. I'm coming home right now. Yes, don't wait up for me, okay? Hello? Hello?" Tiffany frowned and glanced down at the screen. "No signal. Great." Sighing, she moved to put her phone into her bag when the lights went out. Scared, she walked a few steps, her hands stretched out in front of her. She froze when her hand touched something warm and hard. Something that seemed to rise and fall.

"Boo."

Tiffany screamed and jerked her hands away. She turned to leave when something silky brushed against her face.

"Shhhh..." A sultry voice cooed, her breath tickling her ear. "Let's not be so noisy, okay?"

"What do you want?" She asked, trying to keep herself from shaking.

"What do I want?" The sultry voice repeated. A cold hand caressed her neck before gripping it tightly, cutting off her air. "I want you to die."

Tiffany struggled, her fingers digging into the hand that was choking her. She tried to scream, but nothing came out. She could feel herself getting lightheaded, her body beginning to weaken. The world spun and her eyes fluttered. And then she could breathe again. She gasped, her lungs drawing in air. She stiffened when the hand the side of her face. "Uh uh uh~" The voice cooed mockingly. "It wouldn't be so fun if you were to die right now."

"Come." The sultry voice said, but her command wasn't for Tiffany.

Tiffany felt something being placed in her hands. A box. She unconsciously wrinkled her noise at the foul smell coming from the box and nearly dropped it when a hand clamped over .

"Enjoy your present, Tiffany." The voice singsonged. "I'll be back."

For a second, something cold pressed itself against her cheek. And then she was gone.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Tiffany." Ji Yong murmured anxiously and sprinted in the direction of her voice. He moved to round the corner when he collided into something. He stiffened when he felt his head being jerked down and held his breath when he felt something brush against his ear. "You could do so much better, Ares."

He froze as he recognized the words from the card. "Who are you?" He asked, his hands curling into fists.

"Your worst nightmare."

Ji Yong felt her move away and stretched out his hands, hoping to grasp something. His fingertips brushed against something akin to silk before meeting air. "Damn it!" He swore loudly. Then without warning, light flooded the empty parking lot. Ji Yong threw an arm up to shield his eyes.

"Ji Yong!" A voice shouted from around the corner.

"Over here!" TOP and Taecyeon came sprinting towards him, slowing down when they saw that he was alright. "Has anyone seen Tiffany?" Ji Yong asked anxiously.

TOP shook his head and then stopped, cocking an ear. "Do you hear something?"

Taecyeon listened and then he heard it. A faint whimper. "Someone's crying."

"Tiffany." Ji Yong muttered and ran towards the sound. "Tiffany!"

Tiffany glanced up from her slumped position on the wall, tears spilling down her cheeks. "Oppa..."

He approached her and squatted down. Lifting her chin slightly, he froze. There on her left cheek was a red lipstick mark. The same one that was on his card. Reining in his anger, he swept his thumb over the mark and scrubbed gently. When he was done, he lifted her slowly to her feet, mindful of the box she held tightly in her hands.

"What's that?" Ji Yong asked gently.

The blank expression she gave him broke his heart. "My present." She whispered.

"Are you going to open it?" She shook her head. "How about I open it for you?"

"Don't you smell it?"

He glanced at her and leaned over to take a whiff. Seconds later, he reeled back from the foul smell and cast a suspicious look at the box. He moved to take the box from her when a loud voice interrupted him.

"Tiffany!" Taecyeon shouted as he and TOP rounded the corner to see what was taking Ji Yong so long.

Startled, the box slipped from Tiffany's hands and fell to the ground. Ji Yong grabbed her hand and pulled her back just as the lid popped off the box, its contents spilling out.

"Oh my God!" Taecyeon stopped and lifted his hand to cover his nose at the smell. "What the hell is that?"

There on the ground was a dead fish, its head crudely chopped off, lying in the middle of a red pool of blood. And a few inches away was a bloodstained card. Letting go of Tiffany's hand, Ji Yong bent down to pick it up. He turned it over, crumpling the card when he caught sight of the crude words. Dumping the card in the garbage can next to them, he enveloped Tiffany's hand in his and tugged her towards TOP and Taecyeon.

"Let's go home."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Once they were settled in the car, TOP in the driver's seat, Taecyeon in the passenger seat and Ji Yong and Tiffany in the backseat, TOP caught Ji Yong's nod in the mirror and drove. The silence in the car was heavy as neither of the men knew how to ask Tiffany what happened. Heaving a sigh, Taecyeon turned in his seat and opened his mouth to break the silence when Tiffany's voice stopped him.

"There were two of them."

"Two of them?" TOP asked as they stopped at a red light.

Tiffany nodded. "Taeyeon called, so I went to answer the phone. Halfway through the call, I realized I wasn't getting any signal and then the lights went out. I couldn't see anything, so I walked with my hands out and I touched something or rather someone. I screamed when someone whispered into my ears and I panicked. I turned to leave when I bumped into someone. A woman."

Ji Yong stiffened, but nodded at her to continue when she glanced at him. "She said she wanted me to die and choked me." Her fingers touched the faint marks on her neck. "But she stopped and said it wouldn't be so fun if she let me die right there. She told someone to come. I couldn't tell who it was, but that person put the box into my hands. She told me to enjoy the present and that she'll be back. And then she kissed me." She finished, lifting a hand to her cheek.

"So we're dealing with two people?" Taecyeon asked.

"Three." Ji Yong interrupted.

"Three?" TOP asked, fighting to keep his attention on the road.

"Yes, three. Tiffany said there were two people with her. When I went to look for her when the lights went out, I bumped into a person. I'm almost positive it was a woman. She whispered the same damn words on the cards into my ear and told me she was my worst nightmare." He clenched his fists. "I didn't get to say anything else before she disappeared and the lights came back on."

"I'm sorry we couldn't see anything. When you disappeared just as the lights went out, TOP and I went to find the control panel. Turns out someone pulled the switch. All we did was switch it back on." Taecyeon replied, giving him an apologetic look.

"So three people today. Two women and a mysterious person." TOP remarked.

"I think the mysterious person was a man." Tiffany chimed in softly. Ji Yong looked at her, curious. "When I bumped into the first person, I said I touched someone. I'm almost sure I touched that person's chest. And it was hard. I don't think it could've been a woman because...well, what I touched didn't feel like s." She added shyly.

"Okay, then. Three people: two women and a man." TOP reiterated. "What about The Puppeteer? Could the man have been him?"

Tiffany shook her head. "Their voices sounded different."

"Great. So we have four people: two women, two men. And one of which is The Puppeteer." Taecyeon shook his head, frustrated. "Now who the are these new people?"

"I'm sorry." Tiffany murmured. "This is all my fault."

"Don't say that!" She flinched and shifted slightly away from Ji Yong, who rubbed a hand over his face. "It's not your fault, Tiffany. This is nobody's fault." He said gently.

"They targeted us for a reason. For what? I don't know. But whatever it is, it involves us." TOP said softly.

"Fany, we're in this together. Don't forget that." Taecyeon added, smiling at her.

Tiffany closed her eyes. She felt exhausted, utterly drained. Were they doing the right thing? When was this going to end? She didn't know what to do or what to think. All she knew was this game was going to get them killed. Hell, she almost died today. She was afraid, very afraid and with that admittance, the tears slid silently down her cheeks.

Ji Yong watched her close her eyes and wondered if she fell asleep. He shifted over and lifted her head slowly onto his shoulder, sighing in relief when she didn't move. Glancing down one last time, he caught sight of her tears. He cupped her face gently and swiped his thumb under her eyes, wiping away the tears. "You shouldn't be crying in your sleep." He murmured into her hair.

"Is she okay?" TOP asked quietly.

Ji Yong caught his eyes in the mirror and nodded solemnly. "She will be."

The car drove silently for thirty minutes and then slowed to a stop. "We're here." TOP said.

"Tiffany." Ji Yong called, shaking her gently. "We're here. Wake up."

She opened her eyes slowly and glanced out the window, spotting her building. Still half asleep, she smiled tiredly. "Bye bye. See you tomorrow." She got out of the car slowly and shut the door, waving. The men watched as she entered the building and disappeared.

"Tiffany usually calls or texts me when she gets inside the dorm." Taecyeon said absentmindedly. "Let's wait."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tiffany trudged into the building and padded slowly to the elevators. She pressed the button and watched sleepily as the numbers indicated that it was coming down from the 9th floor. A soft Ding! sounded as the elevator reached the lobby, the doors sliding open. A hooded figure holding an umbrella got out and walked past her. The hairs on the back of her neck rose and she shivered. Looking straight ahead, Tiffany paid the person no mind as she scurried past him and darted into the elevator. She pressed the button to her floor and tried not to stab the button to close the door. Just before the door closed, she saw the figure turn around and stare straight at her.

"Bye bye, Tiffany." And then the door closed.

She leaned heavily against the wall of the elevator and put her head in her hands. "I'm going crazy. I'm paranoid. It's just a coincidence." She whispered to herself. The elevator slid open as it reached the 9th floor and she staggered out. She paused briefly to dig inside her bag for her keys and phone. Smiling tiredly as she found her phone, she dialed a number and looked up.

There, taped on the door to her dorm, was a note. Welcome to the Circus of the Damned.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Umbrella guy." Taecyeon said suddenly, startling TOP and Ji Yong. "! Is that the umbrella guy Fany was talking about?"

Ji Yong glanced out the window and sure enough, a hooded figure holding an umbrella was exiting slowly out of the building. He watched as the figure glanced up at the building and dug a phone out of his pocket. Blinded by rage, he shoved open the car door and stalked over to the creep.

"Hey!"

The figure turned his head and barely had time to react when a fist slammed into his jaw, knocking the hood off his head. A hand crept up to his face and wiped the blood from his cut lip. "Do I know you?"

Ji Yong moved to hit him again, but TOP and Taecyeon arrived just in time to hold him back. TOP glanced at the damage Ji Yong had done and bowed his head. "I'm sorry. My friend is a little drunk right now and he mistook you for someone else."

The young man narrowed his eyes at them. "Hey, are you G-Dragon and TOP from Big Bang?"

TOP laughed nervously. "We get that all the time. Thanks, but no. We're not."

Ji Yong struggled against Taecyeon's arms. "Let me at him." He growled menacingly.

The young man backed away slowly. "Uh... can I go now?"

TOP nodded vigorously. "Yeah, it's fine. I'm so sorry about your face." He dragged Ji Yong and shoved him roughly into the backseat, slamming the door closed. Nobody saw the young man smirk wickedly as he sauntered down the block, hands in his pockets before disappearing around the corner.

"Are you crazy?" TOP yelled. "Do you want your face plastered all over the newspapers and national television again?"

"Really, hyung, what were you thinking?" Taecyeon asked gently, wary of angering him further.

Ji Yong deflated, his anger dissipating when he realized what he'd done. "I'm sorry." He breathed. "I don't know what came over me. I just heard you saying the umbrella guy and I remembered what happened to Tiffany today and I just snapped."

TOP sighed heavily. "I know you're upset about what happened to her. I get it. We're all worried. But do you realize how close you came to ruining your reputation?"

"I'm sorry." He repeated, his head bowed.

The tension was thick and Taecyeon looked between the two of them, not knowing what to say. Luckily, his phone rang and he picked it up gratefully. "Fany ah, are you inside?" He asked loudly, catching their attention. "What?!"

Ji Yong straightened in his seat and nudged Taecyeon. "What is it?" He whispered anxiously.

Taecyeon held up a hand and listened carefully. "Calm down, Fany. Speak slowly. Uh huh. Okay. He what?"

This time, Ji Yong didn't hesitate. He leaned over and snatched the phone out of his hands. "Tiffany? It's Ji Yong. Are you okay? What happened?" He asked worriedly.

"Oppa, he left a note outside my dorm."

"Who?" He said through gritted teeth.

"I don't know. But I think it's the same guy who passed me when I went into the elevator." She paused. "He said my name. And it sounded exactly like the person in the parking lot."

His eyes narrowed, his knuckles turning white as he gripped the phone. "Was he wearing a hoodie and holding an umbrella?"

She gasped. "How did you know? Did you see him?"

Ji Yong breathed sharply, reining in his anger. "Tiffany, are you inside your dorm?" He continued when he heard the affirmative. "Good. Stay there. Lock all the doors and windows. Don't worry about him. I'll take care of it. You shower and go to sleep. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" He ordered gently.

"Okay..." She replied reluctantly. "Good night, oppa."

"Good night." Click.

Ji Yong handed the phone back to Taecyeon and sat with his head bowed, hands clasped between his knees.

"Ji Yong, what —" TOP started to ask, but was interrupted when Ji Yong let out a frustrated yell. He watched as he slammed a fist against the car seat. "What is going on?" 

He looked up, his eyes blazing. "That was him."

TOP remained oblivious even as Taecyeon shook his head sadly. "What are you talking about?"

"That son of a was at the parking lot! I punched the er!" Ji Yong yelled, chest heaving.

His eyes widened and he glanced out the window before turning his horrified eyes at Ji Yong. "That...that was him?"

"And I let him get away."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The young man rounded the corner, whistling. He shook his head at their stupidity and laughed to himself. "My friend is drunk. He mistook you for someone else." He mocked, imitating TOP's voice. "Heh, ers think I'm stupid."

"Fools." He murmured arrogantly. Digging into his pocket, he pulled out his phone and dialed. "Yo, it's me. Where you at?"

"Right here." A voice whispered into his ear.

He whirled around and glared at her. "The , girl. You a ghost or something? Please make some noise when you walk."

The girl smiled wickedly and winked at him. "Our ride's over there." She pointed at the black SUV parked down the street. "Race you there."

"Hey!" He yelled, running after her.

Slamming the doors closed, he collapsed against the car seat. "You're...such... a cheater..." He whined, panting heavily.

"Admit it, White Knight, you're just weak." The girl replied, flipping her hair mockingly.

" you, Rider."

"Shut the up." Their heads bowed immediately in apology. "Good. Now I can drive in peace."

White Knight nudged Rider, tilting his head in the driver's direction. "You tell her." He whispered.

"No, you do it." She nudged back.

"What?" The driver drawled lazily.

"Uh, Harlequin." She hummed her response. "Did you call headquarters yet?"

"Nope. Thanks for reminding me." Harlequin rolled her eyes as White Knight stuck his tongue at Rider, who then proceeded to slap him in the face. She slipped on the earpiece and dialed a number.

"Welcome to the Circus of the Damned. Please state your name and your access code." A robotic voice greeted her.

"Harlequin, Due."

"Please state your business."

"I need to speak with the Madam." She said sarcastically.

"Please hold."

The car pulled into a driveway and she gestured for them to get out. Turning the engine off, she sat impatiently, feet tapping against the floorboard. She huffed and crossed her arms.

"Speak."

"Hello, Your Majesty." Harlequin greeted, rolling her eyes.

"My Harlequin. How lovely to hear from you. What brings you here?"

"Beta Team has made their move." She said pointedly, not wanting to waste any more time. "Requesting a status update."

"That's wonderful." Harlequin cringed as she heard clapping from the other line and then the faint tapping of fingers against a keyboard. "Alpha Team is in the lead as they've already made their move and contacted me. Delta and Gamma Team are on standby."

That's not what I wanted to hear, you stuck up ! "Thank you, Your Majesty." Slamming the car door, she twirled her keys around her finger and walked towards the house.

"Anything else?"

Your head on a silver platter. "That is all, Your Majesty."

"Good. I expect to hear from you soon." Click.

Harlequin shoved the phone into her bag and stalked towards her partners. "Stupid ." She muttered under her breath.

"You said something?" White Knight asked innocently, ignoring the jab to his stomach from Rider. She ignored him and jammed her key into the door, shoving the door open.

"Home sweet home."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: More Jifany~ :D Beta Team makes their appearance! So now we have Alpha and Beta Team. Anyone notice their names? >:D We still have Delta and Gamma Team, who have yet to make their moves. I was gonna finish writing chapter 11 before posting this, but what the hell right? I felt bad keeping you guys waiting. So, hope you enjoyed as usual~ ^^


*Due means Two in Italian and the Uno [from the previous chapter] means One.