Chapter 3.

Please Stay With Me.

Please Stay With Me | Chapter 3

"I don't want to fight with you anymore..." I said softly before I became unconscious.

I blinked a few times and slowly gain my consciousness. It took me a few seconds to realise what had and was, happening. I looked around at my surroundings and in a few glances, I knew for sure that I was in the first aid room, lying on the bed. Slowly, I sat up straight and adjusted my pillow behind me. I leaned against the end of the bed, alone for two whole minutes.

 
It was so quiet that my ear drums were about to explode. I removed the blankets that were lying on top of me, just when I was about to put my shoes on to leave, someone walked in.
 
"Stay right there, woman!"
 
I looked up and nothing was unbelievable. The guy he is, would actually shout at a girl who had just collapsed. The heartless guy he is wouldn't even care whether you got into a car accident and almost died. He'll treat you the same, no matter what happens...
 
I sighed. I raised my legs back onto the bed and pulled the blankets over my lower body. He started walking over to my side and sat down on the chair beside the bed, he passed me a bottle.
 
"ORANGE JUICE!" I shouted and grabbed the bottle out of his hands.
 
"Stupid dummy," Jaejoong hissed.
 
I looked up from my juice bottle and at him, I gave him the most evilest glare I could ever give. But at that moment, I wasn't in the mood to argue with him. I felt really tired and I just wanted to give both my mind and heart a rest but I couldn't. Jaejoong was by my side. He makes my heart beat faster than ever, it won't be able to rest whenever his near me.
 
"What happened yesterday?" I asked him.
 
"What happened yesterday?" he repeated and raised an eyebrow.
 
"I noticed you weren't playing properly on the court."
 
"Oh yeah... I know," he said sadly.
 
"Why?"
 
"Why should I explain it to you? A dummy like you wouldn't even understand," he said harshly.
 
"FINE! You didn't have to be so mean!" I shouted.
 
"...I'll tell you another time," he whispered.
 
Neither Jaejoong or myself spoke. I continued drinking the juice he bought me, I almost finished it in the silence. I don't know what made me come to this conclusion but suddenly, I felt that it was the right time to confess to Jaejoong.
 
"Jae—"
 
"Je—"
 
We both called each other at the same time and was cut off by one another before we finished our sentence.
 
"Yeah?"
 
"You first..." I said softly, and tried to relax.
 
"Mm okay. Donghae told me what you said to him last night," he said.
 
I became completely speechless and I was afraid that the meaning behind Jaejoong's sentence, was what I had in mind. The only word that popped into my mind that moment was, WHAT?. I couldn't breathe and I could hear every one of my heart beats. I didn't want to believe my ears.
 
".....Sorry," I whispered under my breath.
 
"You should be saying that to Donghae."
 
"Huh?"
 
"I don't get why you rejected him. What's so bad about my best friend? He's handsome, he's caring, he's everything a girl would want. What is wrong with you WOMAN?!" he shouted the last word.
 
"Calm down sissay," I chuckled and almost choked while swallowing my juice.
 
"You wanna know how hurt he is? Oh, he's so hurt."
 
"Yes, blame it all on me. It's my fault that I couldn't control my stupid heart and let it fall for someone else," I said softly.
 
"Of course it's your fau—what did you say?" he paused. "Who did it fall for?" he asked while his eyebrows kept moving up and down, with a sleazy expression.
 
"Mind your own business or leave me alone, loser."
 
"Okay. I'm leaving," with that, he stood up and was ready to leave.
 
My body reacted on its own. My arm reached out to him and held onto his wrist. I tried to pull him back to his seat. I had to think of something to say...
 
"Don't leave... me," I whispered.
 
I looked up at him, who had his back facing me. Slowly, his head started turning around and I saw the smile on his face, which made me smile too. With his free hand, he slowly tried to loosen my grip on his wrist. Quickly, I backed away. Jaejoong then leaned forwards to me, I backed a few centimeters away.
 
"Now tell me."
 
"Fine," I sighed.
 
"So... who is it that took your heart?" he asked as he sat back down onto the chair.
 
"Guess," I smirked.
 
"Donghae?"
 
"No."
 
"The guy that I wanted to punch in the face yesterday?" he raised an eyebrow.
 
[FLASHBACK]
 
"Booooooooo!"
 
The basketball's team's boys tried to ignore their disses except one, Jaejoong grabbed one of my male classmates by the collar and was about to throw a punch at their face. Knowing that it was one of my friends, I had to stop him.
 
I slammed onto the table with both my hands and immediately captured the rest of the student's attention, I stood up.
 
"Leave Leetuek alone!" I shouted at Jaejoong.
[END OF FLASHBACK]
 
"Leetuek?"
 
"I don't know his name," he laughed. "That jackass..."
 
"No, it's not him."
 
Jaejoong started to name all these random guys' names, some who I never talk to, and some who I don't even know. Just when Jaejoong was about to give up, his eyes suddenly started to sparkle and his lips curved upwards. Could he possibly be thinking about...
 
"Me?"
 
I panicked. But I told myself that I mustn't show my nervous side to him and remain calm. I wasn't planning to tell him anything that moment and of course, I wouldn't let him know that he was the guy who stole my heart since the start of high school. But when I think about it, Jaejoong will know one day and I wasn't planning to hide the truth from him. I was just afraid of what his reaction would be...
 
"Um... ye—"
 
"JENNIFER!" someone slammed the door open and rushed in.
 
I jumped a little on the bed, so did Jaejoong. The moment when he heard the door bang, his expression was hilarious. His eyes widened to the part where I thought his eyes balls were going to jump out, his mouth made a weird shape and his whole face was just so abnormal yet, attractive.
 
Jessica raised an eyebrow when she saw Jaejoong sitting beside me. She was curious, I knew that for sure. Slowly, she made her way to me and Jaejoong stood up, giving the seat to her. I noticed her cheek flush red from embarrassment.
 
"I think... I should leave," Jaejoong stuttered before leaving the room.
 
"Are you okay, Jennifer?" she asked me, with a worried face.
 
"Yeah," I nodded to assure her.
 
"That's good," she calmed down a bit and leaned back onto the chair. Two seconds later, her whole body jerked forward, "What was Jaejoong doing in here?"
 
"Oh um, he helped me to the first aid room."
 
"Oh okay. Guess what?!" she practically screamed with excitement.
 
"What?" I asked her, suspiciously.
 
"I've decided to confess to Jaejoong!"
 
Her six words struck me and I was jealous. I was afraid of what will happen after she confesses. I was being selfish.
 
"Oh... when?"
 
"After school," she clapped softly. "Can you do me a favour?"
 
I hesitated. But I was her best friend, furthermore, her cousin. I shouldn't be selfish plus I doubt Jaejoong have the same feelings I have to him. I shouldn't stop Jessica from getting what she deserves, and Jaejoong has the right to know.
 
"Sure."
 
"Can you tell Jaejoong to meet me in the main hall, where he usually practices basketball?" she asked nervously, afraid that I won't help her.
 
"Okay," I forced my lips to curve upwards. "Leave it to me."
 
"Thanks!" she leaned in and hugged me. "I'm gonna go class, have a good rest. I'll see you later."
 
I watched as Jessica walked out of the room. I sighed and looked down to my juice bottle, there was only a little bit left but I didn't feel like drinking it anymore. I left the bottle on the table by the bed. When I looked back up, Jaejoong started walking into the room. My eyes widened.
 
"I thought you're going back to class," I said weakly.
 
"Well, you're wrong."
 
"Hey..." I whispered softly and hesitated to continue.
 
"What?"
 
His blunt reply turned my mood around. From sad and hopeless to completely furious and pissed off. I wasn't in the mood before and now, my mood is worse than ever.
 
I removed the quilts off me and started putting on my shoe. I stood up and Jaejoong did the same thing. We came face to face, and I just realised how much taller he is than me. I feel like a midget standing in front of him, but thank god we were in an empty room without much people.
 
"Meet me after school in the main hall," I said as I walked to the door.
 
"Why?"
 
"See you there," I opened the door and left the room.
 
I started walking down the corridor to, I don't know where my legs were taking me. I checked the time on my watch and realised school was about to end. I decided to walk to my locker and get my bag. After I locked my locker up, I headed to the bathrooms to go and fix my hair. In the middle of loosening my hair and tying it back up, the bell rang.
 
"Should I go to the main hall?" I asked myself in the mirror.
 
I sighed. I quickly finished tying my hair up and started walking to the main hall. I went through to the change room's entrance, so I won't have to push any door open to get anyone's attention. I hid behind the wall, peeking at Jessica. She was standing in the middle of the basketball court waiting for Jaejoong.
 
Seconds later, the main entrance's doors opened and Jaejoong entered. He looked around the hall before walking up to Jessica. Before I know it, they were standing opposite each other. I died a little inside seeing them standing there.
 
"Where's Jennifer?" Jaejoong asked her.
 
"She's not coming," Jessica replied.
 
"Um, okay."
 
"Jaejoong... I have something to say," Jessica whispered slowly.
 
"Go on."
 
"I... like you."
 
A tear slid down from my left eye and quickly, I wiped it away with the back of my hand. I took a deep breath and decided to leave. I dragged my legs who were refusing to budge, out of the hall. Everyone eyed me as I entered the corridor packed with students who were ready to go home. I'm not some kind of weirdo, and they could stop looking at me.
 
'I hope you're happy. I hope you're both happy,' I said to myself.
 
-
 
I couldn't concentrate properly during work and I received a few complaints from the customers, and got told off by Nicole for not working hard enough. I couldn't help but wonder how Jessica and Jaejoong is going. I wonder what Jaejoong's reaction was, I wonder if he accepted her or not. I'm thinking too much.
 
Way too much.
 
While I was cleaning a table with all the mess a customer had left behind, someone walked up to where I was and stood beside me. I looked at his lower body and knew who it was, because of the chain he had attached to his pants. Only bad boys will have that on their school uniform.
 
I ignored him and continued wiping the spilled coffee on the table. I took the dirty cups and threw them into the bin before going back to the table and finish the finishing touches. As I was planning to walk away from him to the counter and clean the dirty cloth I had in hand, he finally spoke.
 
"Betrayer!" he shouted, not too loud to capture the others' attention, not too soft so I that I can still hear.
 
"What?" I turned around and faced him.
 
"I thought we were friends, how could you do this to me? Do you know how awkward everything was?"
 
"We are not friends," I paused and realised how shocked he was. "We are enemies..."
 
"Whatever then," he said and left the store.
 
I watched as he left me alone, once again. I didn't care. I ran up to the counter and threw the dirty cloth to the sink, and ran out of the shop without telling my sister whatsoever. I looked to my left and he wasn't anywhere, then I turned to my right and he was slowly walking off.
 
"JAEJOONG!" I shouted, but he ignored me.
 
I growled and stomped on the ground. I ran up to him and grabbed onto his arm, and turned him around to face me. He seemed... rather angry, which made me angry too. I'm always the one chasing after him, telling him to not leave me alone. I don't get how guys can be so clueless, can't he see the obvious feelings I'm letting out in front of him?
 
"Even though we argue everyday, even though I call you a dummy, even though I may seem like I hate you on the outside, I don't. I thought we were friends, Jennifer. I really thought we were," he said sadly.
 
Well, you know what Jaejoong? I want to be more than just friends.
 
I kept quiet. I knew that I was starting to annoy him so he started walking away, and I was stupid enough to trial along behind him. I just followed him, and I had no idea where he was taking me. It seem like he wanted me to follow him, since he didn't tell me to stop or go away.
 
I was starting to get tired and I didn't want to walk anymore.
 
"Jaejoo—"
 
Before I could finish my sentence, I looked up and noticed that we arrived near a lake. Jaejoong sat down under the shade near a tree that was two or so metres away from the water. I exhaled and quickly ran up to him and sat beside him. I made sure that we weren't too close.
 
"Jaejoong, what happened in the hall...?" I curiously asked him.
 
I couldn't find a reason to why Jaejoong would reject Jessica and to be honest, I was afraid to know the answer, but I'm ready. I really am.
 
"Nothing. I'm sure you know what happened."
 
"I don't," I said, and it was true.
 
"I couldn't accept Jessica..." he said softly.
 
"Why?" I asked.
 
I thought I would be happy but I wasn't. I felt bad, for Jessica mostly. She liked Jaejoong for almost a year and finally gain the courage to confess to him, but he didn't feel the same way. She must be hurting and when I think about the possibility that she could be crying at that moment, it killed me.
 
Jaejoong turned away from the lake's water and looked at me into the eye. It scared me.
 
"Because... I already have someone that I like."