Recipe #7

Sugar, Romance, and a dash of Luck

 

“Thanks again for the cake.” Taemin said as he and Minho made their way to the door.

Minho smiles in response. “No problem. That was part of the deal right?” Taemin nods, remembering the promise they made.

“You should go now, school is starting soon.” Minho said, glancing at his watch.

“Oh right! I’ll call you neh?” Taemin said as he walked out the door. Minho nods and waved goodbye before closing the door.

 

After school, Taemin managed to catch Su-Hyung outside. He waves frantically. “Su-Hyung!” He calls.

Su-Hyung turns around in surprise but a smile spreads across her face once she see’s who it is. She walks gracefully over to Taemin. “Hey Taemin! How are you?” She asked.

“I’m really good! Ready for our date?” Taemin asked excitedly.

Su-Hyung’s smile faltered slightly. “Oh, y-yeah of course!” She said, rubbing her arm nervously. Taemin doesn’t notice and takes her hand. “Let’s go! I have so many things planned.”

Su-Hyung nods slowly and follows Taemin to where ever he’s taking her.

The two of them spend the rest of the day watching a movie, eating dinner together, blowing bubbles, and chatting happily.

Before they knew it, the sun was already starting to set. Su-Hyung looks up at the clouds in surprise. “Wow, it’s already that late.” She said. Taemin looked up after her and frowned at the sky, cursing the day for ending so quickly.

“I had a lot of fun today.” Su-Hyung said happily, clutching onto Taemin’s arm. Taemin smiled brightly. “I’m glad you did! I did too. Want to go see my mom now?”

Su-Hyung’s smile dropped as she remembered. “R-Right. Let’s go.” She said. Taemin led her to the hospital where his mother is staying. Once they got to the room where she was in, Taemin knocked on the door lightly. “May I come in?”

A nurse opened the door and smiled kindly at Taemin. “Here to visit your umma?” She asked. Taemin nodded. The nurse’s gaze turned to Su-Hyung. “A friend of yours?” She asked.

Su-Hyung smiled sweetly and bowed in a polite manner. The nurse bowed back before moving to the side so they could pass. She then left the room to give them all some privacy.

“Umma! I brought a friend with me.” Taemin said cheerfully, rushing to her side. Su-Hyung froze when she saw Taemin’s mother’s state.

Her body was pale and old-looking. Tubes were planted in her arm and the room had a terrible smell.

Taemin’s mom smiled weakly. “Nice to meet…You.” She said slowly to Su-Hyung. Su-Hyung stared back, her body totally trembling. She just gives a simple nod in response.

“Umma, me and Su-Hyung noona did so much together! We ate yummy food, watched a movie and played games.” Taemin’s hands were flaring everywhere as he explained.

Taemin’s mother laughs softly, before coughing a bit. Taemin’s eyebrows crease in concern as he rubs his mother’s arm. Umma, are you okay? Should we let you rest?” He asked.

Taemin’s mother shakes her head quickly and smiles back at Taemin. “I’m just glad you’re having…So much fun.” She cooed.

Taemin nods happily and turns to Su-Hyung, who was staring at the whole scene in disgust. He tilts his head in confusion. “Is something wrong noona?”

Su-Hyung looks up at Taemin in surprise and plants a fake smile. “No, no.” She chirped. But the hospital smell made her want to gag. “C-Can we go now?” She asked, covering her nose.

Taemin’s smile fades slightly. “Eh? I-I guess so…” He was a bit disappointed at the short time he had with his umma. After all, he barely got to visit her because of his busy school schedule. But he decided he wanted to please Su-Hyung more.

“I’m going now umma.” He said sweetly and kissed his mother’s cheek. She gives a small smile and watched Taemin leave with Su-Hyung out the door.

 

“What did you think?” Taemin asked once they were outside and walking home.

Su-Hyung looks at him strangely. “What do you mean?”

“About my mom. She’s pretty strong right? After all this she’s still holding on. I think she can last for at least 50 more years!” He said in a childish voice.

50 more years…Seriously?” Su-Hyung thought grudgingly.

“I’ll take you home, since I live close to the-“Taemin was cut off by Su-Hyung speeded protest. “N-No, I can go by myself.” She said, holding her hands up.

“Are you sure? I don’t mind taking you, you know?” Taemin suggested.

“It’s fine. Don’t bother.” Su-Hyung said, making her voice seem harsher than she wanted it to sound.

Taemin hesitated but nodded in defeat. “Okay… Be safe neh? Have a good night.” He said, giving a small wave.

Su-Hyung nodded and quickly turned to leave, before rolling her eyes which she knew Taemin wouldn’t notice.

 

“Why are you still dating that Taemin kid?” One of Su-Hyung’s friends asked when they were all sitting together during lunch.

Su-Hyung chewed on her apple but shrugged, not sure of the answer herself.

“Just dump him. You obviously don’t like him the same way.” Another friend suggested while poking the straw into her chocolate milk.

“Yeah, I’ll do that after school.” Su-Hyung decided. Anymore time with Taemin would be painful, since the only thing that came to mind when she thought of him was his bedridden mother.

After school, Su-Hyung caught up to Taemin in the hallways. “Taemin-shhi!” She called sweetly.

Taemin turned around and smiled brightly. “Su-Hyung!”

“Neh, can we talk over there?” She pointed to a corner of the hall where it was isolated from the people.

Taemin stared at her strangely before nodding. “Sure.” He followed her to the corner before asking, “So what’s up?”

“Listen…” Su-Hyung rubbed her arm as she tried to explain. “I don’t think this is working out for us.”

Taemin’s smile immediately dropped as this scene felt painfully familiar to him.

“I think we should start seeing other people.” Su-Hyung said, finally making eye contact with Taemin.

“W-Why? D-D-Did I do something wrong?” Taemin’s lower lip quivered as he tries to recall the mistakes he might have made.

“It’s not that… It’s just that, I don’t want the title of “The girlfriend of the person who had a dying mother.”” Su-Hyung said bluntly.

The words were poison to Taemin’s ears. “Dying mother? My mom?

“Su-Hyung.” His voice cracked as he tried to speak. “Save it.” She cut him off. “It’s over. Thanks for the um…Date though.” She said before walking off and out of the school.

The air is filled with a painful silence as Taemin stared at the wall. “Did she just… Date me because she felt sorry for me?” He said quietly to himself.

Of course she did! Who would actually sincerely date you?” A voice in the back of his head mocked in. The cruel laughter of the past girls that Taemin dated rang in his head.

He quickly took out his phone, knowing exactly who to call. He needed to hear Minho’s warm and gentle voice again. He needed it more than anything right now.

His fingers were shaking as he pressed the numbers and held the phone to his ear.

“Miss me already?”

There it was.

A sad smile spreads across Taemin’s face as he hears Minho’s voice over the phone. “Minho…” His own voice sounded fragile and weak.

“What’s wrong?” Minho’s voice was suddenly laced with concern as he identified something wrong with the boy.

“I…Su-Hyung…We…” Taemin’s brain couldn’t put the words together properly, and he could feel himself getting close to tears.

“Stay there. I’m coming right now.” Minho said from the other line, before hanging up.

Taemin slowly hung up and leaned against the wall, slowly sliding down to his . He hides his face in his knees, gripping the phone tightly.

After a short moment of time, footsteps came closer to Taemin. A figure kneels in front of him. “Taemin…” The low, gentle voice was all Taemin needed to confirm who it was.

He slowly raised his eyes to look at Minho, who was panting slightly from the sprint here. “H-How did you find me?” Taemin asked his voice hiking.

 Minho gives a warm smile. “I asked a student nearby and they pointed the way. I’m sorry I didn’t get here faster.” He said, scolding himself mentally.

Taemin shakes his head quickly. “Hyung… Su-Hyung…She-“

“You don’t have to tell me. It hurts I know…” Minho said his expression sad.

Taemin’s lower lip quivered harder at Minho’s kindness and he covered his face. “I know *hic* I should get use to this feeling… B-But *hic* Every time, it hurts just as much…” He couldn’t stop the tears from falling now.

Minho didn’t hesitate to pull the smaller boy into his embrace, his hair lovingly. The warmth and comfort was enough to break the wall Taemin was trying to hold up, allowing him to cry freely and loudly into Minho’s shoulder.

Minho held Taemin close, allowing the boy to get it all out. Even though seeing him cry was more painful than anything in the world.

 



 

SUCH A SHORT UPDATE AFTER SUCH A LONG PERIOD OF TIME /shot

It was really painful for me to make Taemin cry in this story…

But I hope this was worth it and I’ll see you guys hopefully soon! PEACE.