Recipe #3

Sugar, Romance, and a dash of Luck

 

Minho leads Taemin to the door, opening it on his way out. “You going to be okay?” Minho asks, his eyes showing concern.

Taemin gives a small smile and nods. Minho believes him and smiles back, getting ready to go back into the house until he felt Taemin gently grab him by the shirt.

Taemin pulls Minho back to face him, and gives him a big hug, hiding his face in his apron, which still smelled like peaches.

Minho stiffened a little in surprise and looks down at Taemin in confusion.

“Thank you…” Taemin mutters into Minho’s apron.

Minho smiles and Taemin’s hair. “No problem. You can just come whenever you feel like it. I’ll be here.” He chuckles.

Taemin looks up at Minho. “Really?”

Minho nods. A smile breaks out on Taemin’s face. “Great! I’ll see you again soon.” He said, letting go of Minho and walking farther away before turning back and giving one last wave.

Minho smiles in amusement and waves back, waiting till Taemin was out of sight, before going back into the house.

 

Taemin walked happily down the road, his heart feeling light and carefree.

His phone suddenly rings; he picks it up and answers in a sing-song voice. “Hello?”

His mother’s worried and loud voice blares from the other line. ‘LEE TAEMIN WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!”

Taemin holds the phone away from him ear in surprise. He brings it closer and answers quietly, “Sorry umma… I was at a friend’s house and-“

“You didn’t even bother telling me! Sweetie I’m happy you’re spending more time with your friends but you need to tell me first. I was worried sick.” He heard her mother sigh tiredly from the other line.

“I know… I won’t do it again umma! I promise.” Taemin assured her. He heard her nod from the other line. “Alright, just hurry back. You still have school today.”

Taemin smiles and nodded. “Alright! I’ll be right there. Love you~” With that, he hangs up.

That surprised me…” Taemin thinks to himself, speeding up his pace.

When he finally gets home, he opens the door quietly and peeks inside. “I’m home~” He calls.

No answer.

Taemin walks into the house, taking off his shoes before walking into the living room. “Umma?” He looked around.

That’s weird… I was just talking with her a while ago…

He continues walking around the house. It wasn’t very big, so she couldn’t be far. Finally, Taemin checks the kitchen. “Umma-“ Taemin freezes.

His mother sprawled in a sitting position in front of the sink, her body limp and her eyes half-opened. A kitchen knife was 2 feet away from her.

“UMMA!” Taemin cries and runs over to his ill-conditioned mother.

He gently grips both her shoulder to turn her towards him. Her eyes slowly flutter and look at Taemin. “Taemin-ah…” She cooed, almost in a whisper.

“Umma… Your health is already terrible. Don’t push yourself.” Taemin said, his voice breaking a little in worry.

His mother gives a wrinkled smile. “I just wanted to make a delicious lunch for my Taeminnie to bring… To school.”

Taemin helps support his mother’s head. “Umma… It’s fine. Please, just rest. I can make my own lunch, neh?”

His mother shakes her head and continues talking slowly. “When I heard you were out with a friend, I was so happy… I got so excited and wanted to do something for you… But I guess I worked too hard.” She tries to laugh, but just ends up coughing.

Taemin was finding it hard to hold back the tears. “Please… Don’t talk anymore.” He begs softly.

She looks up at Taemin and gently cups his face with one hand. Taemin closes his eyes, enjoying the warmth of his mother’s hand.

“My Taeminnie has grown up so much… I wish I had given you more things. Everyone would be walking around with their new stuff, but you were still content with what you have.” She grins.

“W-We have to get you to the hospital…” Taemin’s voice hicks.

“I’m sorry umma is so weak… She can’t give you the things you want.” Taemin’s mother felt her eye lids get heavy. Her hand goes limp beside her as her eyes shut all the way.

Taemin quickly gets out of his phone and dials the ambulance.

“Please… Come quickly!” Taemin cries into the phone.

 

Taemin waits outside of the operation room, his hands clasped together, praying that his mother might still be alive.

Finally, the doctor comes out, clearly exhausted.

Taemin stands up quickly and walks over to the doctor. “How’s my mother? Is she…”

The doctor smiles reassuringly. “Don’t worry. Your umma is safe. Good thing you called. Any later and she would have been dead.”

Taemin sighs in relief. The doctor’s smile slowly fades. “But she will have to stay in the hospital for a while to recover… Her body is not capable to moving by itself anymore and it’s risky for her health to be exposed to anymore stress.”

Thinking back to when she called Taemin in worry, his whole heart fills with guilt. “She’ll live… Right?” He asks.

The doctor just stares back, his eyes showing no certainty.

“She can still live, right? For 100 years?” Taemin gives a weary smile. “10?”

The doctor’s expression did not change. He looks down and gives a small sigh. “I’m afraid we can’t be certain…”

Taemin’s smile completely drops off his face. His clenched fists shook violently as he tried to keep from collapsing.

“We will try the best we can to sustain for her well-being, as well as give her medicine daily. But if worst comes to worst… I want you to be prepared.” The doctor stares at Taemin with a serious expression.

Taemin’s mouth was left agape. His throat has gone completely dry, making it impossible for him to produce any words.

“Dr.Jyun. A patient needs attendance in room 362.” A nurse walks over to them. The doctor looks at the nurse and replies, “I’m coming.”

He gives Taemin a final nod before rushing with the nurse to the next patient.

Another nurse shows up behind Taemin. “Mr.Lee?”

That breaks Taemin out of his trance. He jerks back to the nurse. “Y-Yes?”

“The patient is ready. Do you want to see her?” She asks, tilting her head.

Taemin nods quickly and follows the nurse into the room.

She opens the door, letting Taemin in before closing it so they could have privacy.

Taemin slowly walks over until he could see his mother.

She was lying on the hospital bed, a face mask covering her nose and mouth, and a few tubes inserted in her arms (A/N: Sorry I at hospital description…).

Taemin rushes to her side and kneels next to her. “Umma…” He chokes out.

He stared at her old, wrinkled face. It’s gone pale since the last time he saw her, making her look much older.

Taemin bites on his lower lip, trying not to cry in front of his unconscious mother. He knew this was going to happen eventually. His mother’s health was never that good to begin with.

He just didn’t think it would come so quickly.

 

When Taemin finally left the hospital, it was already evening. School had long ended so there was no point going now.

Taemin just needed someone to talk to… Someone to tell him it’ll be okay. That’s why he found himself in front of the pastry house once again.

His opened the door and let himself in.

He was engulfed immediately by a new smell.

Chestnuts.

Taemin creped over to the kitchen and peeks in. It was becoming his habit to do this.

Minho was using a pastry bag and topping the top of a cupcake with chestnut cream, swirling it around. He did the same with many others before he finally put the bag down.

He glanced over at Taemin and smiles, almost as if he knew Taemin was going to be there.

Taemin gives a small smile and waves. He points to the tables, signaling Minho he’s going to be over there before walking to take a seat.

Minho arranges the cupcakes on a fancy plate and brings them over to Taemin, putting it in front of him.

“Mont Blanc. Have a taste.” Minho smiles as he hands Taemin a cupcake.

Taemin stares at the cupcake, admiring the cream swirls before taking a bite.

Sugar.

Honey.

Sweet chestnuts.

The flavors almost danced in Taemin’s mouth. He didn’t hesitate to keep eating, since he didn’t eat anything all day…Again.

“So what’s up?” Minho asks brightly.

Remembering his mother, Taemin’s throat closes up, making it hard for him to swallow. He coughs a bit, lightly pounding his chest.

Minho suddenly sits up in alert and hands him a glass of water.

Taemin gladly takes it and gulps the whole thing down.

“You okay?” Minho asks. Taemin nods slowly and looks down.

“My mother’s in the hospital…” Taemin confesses quietly.

There was a long silence, before Minho finally speaks quietly, “Oh, I’m sorry…”

Taemin shakes his head and forces a smile. “It’s not your fault. I guess bad things just happen.”

A determined expression forms on Minho’s face. He pushes the plate of cupcakes towards Taemin. “Eat it. Eat the whole thing.”

Taemin stares at Minho like he just went crazy. “Eh?”

“Eat the cupcakes like they’re your anxieties. Just trust me.” Minho said.

Taemin stares down at all the cupcakes. They looked delicious, but he wasn’t sure he could eat ALL of them. He was about to protest again until he was taken aback by Minho’s serious gaze.

Deciding why not, he takes another cupcake and starts eating it quickly, thinking about all the bad things in his life.

His bad grades.

His horrible luck with girls.

How lonely he feels.

How he can never be good at anything.

His mother in the hospital.

When Taemin looks down at his plate, he finds all the cupcakes gone. The only thing left were crumbs.

He froze and slowly looked up at Minho, whose expression was satisfied.

“I-I-“ Taemin’s apology was interrupted.

“How do you feel?” Minho asks.

Taemin thinks, feeling surprised that the heavy feeling in his chest was gone. “B-Better actually.” He stutters.

Minho leans back and smiles. “See? Didn’t I tell you?”

Taemin looks up at Minho and gives a meek smile. “I guess you were right.”

Minho leans back in and ruffles Taemin’s hair. “I’m just glad you’re feeling better.”

Taemin’s heartbeat suddenly quickens. He backs away quickly in surprise, alarming Minho a little. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

Taemin shakes his head quickly, trying to calm his hyperventilating heart. “What is this feeling?

 



 

I FAILED SO HARD AT DOING THE ENDING SENTENCES

I almost wanted to say “Taemin’s heart went doki doki at Minho’s sugoiness.”

LOL Anyway I hope you enjoooyed~ I actually didn’t plan on having Taemin’s mother get ill but when I was writing this I was like “Meh, might as well.” So let me know what you think of this chapter down in the comments and I’m out. PEACE!